For The Love of Cats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Max Herpes flare-up

4 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Max Herpes flare-up - Page 2 Empty Re: Max Herpes flare-up

Post by Ian B Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:28 pm

The vets have just rung to let me know he's off his food again and now has a temperature of 105, very high for a cat. They're about to test him for leukaemia and feline FIV, neither of which I suspected in the slightest. I'll know more after they've done the in house tests and will update as soon as I find out one way or the other.

A sad, sad day Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

Ian
Ian B
Ian B
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Number of posts : 9110
Cat(s): : Fudge, Bola, Buddy, Max........and several guests
Registration date : 2008-04-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian B Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:36 pm

Great news, he's clear of both leukaemia and feline FIV and he's eating again Very Happy Max Herpes flare-up - Page 2 579159

They're now testing for respiratory viruses and will be trying a non steroidal anti inflammatory jab later once the steroidal jab he had earlier has had time to clear his system. It'll take a few days for the test results to come back and hopefully I'll be able to bring him home some time tomorrow, then collect any needed medication once they've got said results.

Ian
Ian B
Ian B
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by nicola Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:38 pm

Very very good news he's clear of leukaemia and feline FIV Very Happy

Come on Max get well your dad needs you to come home!

nicola
Cat-mad!
Cat-mad!

Number of posts : 1467
Cat(s): : yes.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian B Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:17 pm

Thanks Nicola Very Happy

Having had time to think about it, I'm puzzled about the order these latest tests were done confused

A sore/inflamed throat/mouth *can* be a symptom of both leukaemia and feline FIV, but they're not exclusive to those, and as he was having trouble breathing, surely he should have been tested for respiratory viruses first and if clear of those, then for leukaemia and feline FIV, especially as he shows no other symptom of either.

It's too late now, and while I'm chuffed to bits he got the all clear, I'll still be having a few words with the vets when I next go. If I even suspect they've played a concerned/worried owner for a sucker to get a few extra £'s in the till, I'll play holy hell with them.

'EDIT'

This kinda sums my day up so far..........

Friday is hoovering day and after finishing I was putting the tray back under the stairs and being the clever (pronounced stupid) so'n'so I am, I lifted it with one and of course the ******* thing broke, litter everywhere. It wouldn't have been so bad had it been just fresh wood pellets, but they'd been used at least once, so after hoovering that lot up I was on my hands and knees scrubbing the carpet clean

Ian
Ian B
Ian B
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian B Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:38 pm

The vets have just rung and his temperature came down last night and has stayed down today, it's still not *normal* but they are hoping he's turned the corner as he's bright and chipper today and eating again. I was hoping to collect him later but agreed to leave him till tomorrow as they are changing his current meds from jabs to tablet form and want to see how he goes on. If he's still ok I can administer them at home till the swab results come back (it takes between 2 and 7 days seemingly) and we'll take things from there.

If I've not heard from them by 2pm tomorrow I need to ring, hopefully he will be home before then, but if not and all being well we'll, be home around 3pm.

I didn't mention my concerns about the order of the tests yesterday, I will, but I want to do it face to face as I'm still not convinced the leukaemia and feline FIV were necessary, at least at that point in time.

Ian
Ian B
Ian B
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian B Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:24 pm

And he's like a new cat Very Happy

Unfortunately, that's what the others made of him at first. Bola wasn't sure but Bosley was positive there was a newcomer and gave poor Max a left hook as he passed. Bizarrely, both Jimmy and Dexter were also in and within seconds of meeting Max they were grooming him Very Happy

He's on Metacam and Baytril meds, tho' only enough till Wednesday when he's booked in for a checkup, but all is looking well atm. Seemingly, the reason they did the leukaemia and feline FIV tests so quickly was the state of his throat and mouth, the infection was so severe. In my rush to get my taxi I forgot to pick up the bill/itemised treatment list, so won't know till Wednesday what else has been done till then.

Ian
Ian B
Ian B
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian B Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:33 am

He's still fine Very Happy Max Herpes flare-up - Page 2 579159 tho' I'm going to have to upset the others by removing the dry food bowls as I'll need to stop Max grazing as the Metacam has to be put onto his food, so I need to make sure he's hungry enough to eat it all, which he didn't after his first dose here last night.

I spotted a shaved patch on his neck, I don't know what that was for and don't recall the vet mentioning it yesterday. I suppose it could have been done on his first visit and I just didn't notice, but it looked freshly done to me.

I'm pretty sure he's not been out yet, no bad thing really and I don't want to lock the flap if I can help it, tho' he did have a good look thro' it last night.

Ian
Ian B
Ian B
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by littlekitty Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:31 pm

So glad he's home Ian and seems to be feeling better. Poor Max, must of been in agony with his throat. Lovely to hear he got a good wash from Jimmy and Dexter, he must be the cleanest cat around now. Laughing .
littlekitty
littlekitty
Cat-mad!
Cat-mad!

Number of posts : 2788
Cat(s): : Buddy and Mary

http://www.cats2crafts.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian B Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:34 pm

Thanks Lynn Very Happy he was one very miserable cat, that's for sure. He's still not 100%, a bit sniffly with the odd cough still, but nothing like before.

I'm a bit worried about Jimmy as he's had the odd cough here and was physically closer to Max while he was at his worst, than all the others. I can't see it, whatever *it* is, being infectious as they'd surely all be affected, but you never know.

'EDIT'

Poor Jimmy looks like he may well be starting with the same thing, he's had coughing fits and bringing phlegm up here today.

Ian
Ian B
Ian B
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian B Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:24 pm

He's been his usual head-butting self today, but has hardly eaten. I made a point of removing the bowls of dry to stop him grazing in the hope he'd be hungry when I gave him his Metacam. That was on top of a little bit of wet and he left some of that, but must have swallowed most of his med. I gave him his Baytril later, tho' typical cat, he didn't want to swallow, but it went down eventually.

So far so good then, but he threw up at 5pm, only liquid and no sign of the Baytril, and he then dashed outside for the first time since it all started and he's currently mooching round the garden, making up for lost time by spraying in all his usual places, so he can't be feeling that bad.

Unfortunately, I'm more convinced than ever that Jimmy has picked up the same infection as he's still coughing, bringing up phlegm and is hungry but won't eat. If his mouth and throat are getting as sore as Max's, that's no surprise. I've told Debbie to keep an eye on Jimmy as he's not well and luckily she's taking him to the vets this week for another steroid jab to help with his flea bite allergy, so she can ask the vet to check him over.

'EDIT'

Max is back in and sat near me atm.

Ian
Ian B
Ian B
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian B Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:25 am

Max is fine, back to leg winding at brekkie today and both Bola and Fudge are so far clear of *whatever* it is.

I'm as sure as i can be that Jimmy has the same infection, he's exactly how Max was right at the start. I found two lots of sick in the hall this morning, it could have been Max but I'm assuming it was Jimmy. Bosley isn't quite right either, tho' there's no coughing/retching from him as yet, hopefully there won't be as this lot could easily turn into a nightmare.

Speaking of nightmares, I had a horrible dream last night in which Jimmy took a real turn for the worse here. I took him round to Debbies but she refused to get him treated, saying as he hardly came home anymore she was going to let nature take it's course. I told her I'd take him then, but I thankfully woke up at that point.

Ian
Ian B
Ian B
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian B Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:32 pm

Barring Max being sick just before lunch and having a slightly watery right eye, he's back to his best Very Happy

I've not seen Jimmy since early morning so I'm hoping Debbie managed to get him in, saw he was ill and has taken him to the vets.

I don't know what to make of Bosley tho', he's hardly put a paw outside today and has refused all cat food yet pigged out on some of the boiled chicken I did for Max, he's demolished every bit I've put in front of him. His breathing is also a bit rapid, tho' it's not shallow and while he's been in the mood to play string with me, he's not been interested in playing with Bola (who's hugely disappointed) I'll be keeping a very close eye on him for the next 24 hours, just in case, tho' he's showing none of Max's symptoms.

Ian
Ian B
Ian B
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian B Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:41 am

It looks like Bosley is feeling better Very Happy He ate up at brekkie and was wanting to play with Bola earlier, who being a typical cat, wasn't interested Laughing

Ian
Ian B
Ian B
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian B Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:29 pm

Not the news I was hoping for, tho' a damn sight better than Feline leukemia/FIV and at least I have an idea of what I'm dealing with now. Having never had a cat with this I'm still at a loss tbh, so any first hand info will be much appreciated.

I've just told Debbie, who'd taken Jimmy to the vets earlier and all they did was give him antibiotics, much the same as my vets did at first with Max. I've left the report with her so she can contact her vets and let them know Jimmy had been in contact with a cat with confirmed herpes and they should take things from there. Jimmy is here atm and still coughing, not as bad but he needs treating.

There must be another infected cat knocking about who Max got it from, probably one of the many strays/neglected cats around here.

On the bright side, Max is fine, this was taken a few minutes ago

Max Herpes flare-up - Page 2 Max_bo10

According to the vet it could be a one off episode, tho' that's unlikely, but hopefully any flare-ups will be few and far between and the same meds will sort him out, but it's a waiting game now.

Ian

Ian B
Ian B
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian B Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:59 am

I've been pointed to a possible treatment by a member (havoc) *over there*. I'll need a sympathetic vet to obtain it and will need to sign a disclaimer, but if there's a chance it will help there's no harm in asking.

It's this

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21194340

I've also ordered some lysine which seemingly helps

http://www.vetuk.co.uk/dog-supplements-cat-supplements-kidney-supplements-c-5_897/enisyl-enisylpaste-for-cats-100ml-p-3457

Ian
Ian B
Ian B
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by littlekitty Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:52 pm

Sorry to hear that Ian, although tbh, I know nothing about it. Hope you can find the right treatment for him.
littlekitty
littlekitty
Cat-mad!
Cat-mad!

Number of posts : 2788
Cat(s): : Buddy and Mary

http://www.cats2crafts.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian B Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:05 am

Thanks Lynn Very Happy

Neither did I and don't know much more now tbh. There's no treatment as such from the vets, only drugs to manage it when it flares up, which it will again at some point and continue doing so as there's no cure. I've just ordered some Lysine online as it can seemingly help lessen the frequency and severity of FHV-1 infections.

He's still fine, tho' every cough/sneeze I hear now has me dashing to see if it was him. It's ironic, out of my lot he's the one who goes out the least but was just unlucky, tho' must have been susceptible to it in the first place.

There must be another infected cat knocking about who Max caught it off. I've warned as many owners as I can to keep a close eye on their cats, if they start coughing/retching, don't think it just a cold, get them to the vets asap.

Ian
Ian B
Ian B
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian B Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:19 pm

Jimmy has been here since lunchtime with not a cough to be heard from him Very Happy Hopefully Debbie getting him to the vets early for treatment helped.

I can't say the same for the fluffy black tom from across the road tho', he's been coughing and barking here today, even refusing food and looking really miserable. With his owners *still* not having their tabby spayed I can't see them taking him to the vets over a *cough* Rolling Eyes

Ian
Ian B
Ian B
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian B Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:57 am

Max and Jimmy are still fine Very Happy but I wish I could say the same about the black tom from across the road. He's nowhere near as bad as was Max at his worst, but he's looking really sorry for himself atm. He's eaten a bit of cooked chicken, tho' it was obviously painful to swallow, and I don't think he's drinking much either as a result Crying or Very sad

Ian
Ian B
Ian B
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian B Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:45 am

Ian B wrote:I've also ordered some lysine which seemingly helps

http://www.vetuk.co.uk/dog-supplements-cat-supplements-kidney-supplements-c-5_897/enisyl-enisylpaste-for-cats-100ml-p-3457

Ian
The lysine paste has arrived and fully expecting him to hate it I went to put some on his nose, forcing him to lick it off, but I didn't need to as he loves the taste and was looking for more as soon as he'd licked that off Very Happy Max Herpes flare-up - Page 2 579159

Ian
Ian B
Ian B
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian B Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:26 am

I'm pleased to say, and not a little relieved, the black tom from across the road appears to be over the worst of it now Very Happy I didn't see him at all from first thing yesterday morning but he followed me downstairs today and asked for something to eat, the first time in days and he miaowed as well, something he's not been able to do for just as long.

I've left him in the dining room with a chicken wing and he's making short work of it atm, poor sod was starving as his throat must have been too sore to swallow. I *shouldn't* have done, but I've been daubing a bit of the lysine paste on his nose, forcing him to lick it off, but it's non medical so ought to have done no harm if it did no good, tho' it may well have helped.

Max is still fine Very Happy Max Herpes flare-up - Page 2 579159 as is Jimmy Very Happy Max Herpes flare-up - Page 2 579159

Ian
Ian B
Ian B
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian B Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:26 pm

Max has been back to normal today, even down to having mad 1/2 hours and spending a fair bit of time outside exploring and hasn't coughed/retched/sneezed for over 48 hours now Very Happy Max Herpes flare-up - Page 2 579159 How long this will last before the next attack I don't know, but hopefully the lysine paste will help prevent any more attacks that bad happening again.

Ian
Ian B
Ian B
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian B Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:20 pm

As well as Max, Jimmy and the black cat from across the road seem to be clear of the throat infection now. I know Jimmy has been seen by a vet over this, but I very much doubt the black cat has so hopefully it was just a bad cold he had (not feline herpes) and has now shaken it off .

Ian
Ian B
Ian B
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian B Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:26 am

Max is now fully back to his (very, very annoying at times) best Very Happy Max Herpes flare-up - Page 2 579159 even down to chasing his sworn enemy out of my garden and across the road to his foes home turf to try and pick a fight. There's not been a hint of a sneeze/cough/sniffle for a week now, I know it's only a matter of time before it flares up again but he was so badly affected first time I didn't expect to see the *old* Max again.

Ian
Ian B
Ian B
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Teddy Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:29 pm

Jeez what a shocker, I never thought it could be this. I need to go and look this up tbh, just hope it doesn't occur too frequently, bit scary though.
Teddy
Teddy
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Number of posts : 10805
Cat(s): : Moto & Sophie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down