For The Love of Cats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fishy dinners.

5 posters

Go down

Fishy dinners. Empty Fishy dinners.

Post by littlekitty Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:26 am

As Mary is such a fussy eater, she's not keen on beef or other meat flavour wet food.She will eat chicken sometimes. She will only eat tuna or salmon flavoured, I have now started giving her go cat fish variety pouches, they have vegs added, which she loves, also wafer thin ham as a treat. Is there enough nourishment in giving her these fish varieties or should she be getting the other meat varieties, Beef chicken etc? She does get a handful of dry at night also. I was told that if I give to much fish it can cause urinary infections, and was suggested to add a small amount of chicken to the fish and mix together. She also likes the small tins of hilife fish varieties and the gourmet ones. Is this to much fish to give her on a daily basis?
littlekitty
littlekitty
Cat-mad!
Cat-mad!

Number of posts : 2788
Cat(s): : Buddy and Mary
Registration date : 2008-04-06

http://www.cats2crafts.com

Back to top Go down

Fishy dinners. Empty Re: Fishy dinners.

Post by pokbg Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:30 pm

I just had a lookise on the back of one of BG and Poks pouches, as they are basically in the same situation.

Only cat food they will eat is Tescos own branded pouched food with fish flavour in jelly. They also eat fish and shrimps, and always have dry food out.

As the ingredients on the fish flavoured pouches say... "meat and animal derivatives"... which is listed first - before any fish is listed... lol! Ok, so there's only 4% fish in the pouch, but atleast I know there's more then 4% of meat in it then.

I wouldn't worry, as long as she eats either wet or dry food, she shoudl be getting the nutrients she need... she certain looks it - she's such a stunning and healthy princess!
pokbg
pokbg
Cat-mad!
Cat-mad!

Number of posts : 4533
Cat(s): : Pok m/4, BG f/2
Registration date : 2008-04-07

https://love4cats.darkbb.com/portal.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by Teddy Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:35 pm

The pouches are suppossed to be a balabnce diet, so if she's getting that and dry and a little chicken she's doing fine. Sophie very rarely eats wet at all now, and even tins of tuna aren't attacked as they once were, so she's more or less on dry all the time and a healthier bundle of enegy I've yet to see. Don't worry, they both look so healthy.
Teddy
Teddy
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Number of posts : 10805
Cat(s): : Moto & Sophie

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian B Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:43 pm

As pokbg and Kath have said, I wouldn't worry too much as long as they are healthy. A lot of fish can't be considered a natural diet for a cat, but these pouches contain other ingredients, usually in much greater amounts at that.

It's the added vegetables that get me, I'm sure I've read somewhere that cats can't produce the enzymes needed to break veg down, and if that's true it seems a tad pointless in adding them in the first place.

There's a lot of gubbins about the *correct* way to feed cats, 20/30 years ago there was nowhere near the choice of foods available compared to today, but a lot of cats still lived to ripe old ages.

Ian
Ian B
Ian B
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Number of posts : 9110
Cat(s): : Fudge, Bola, Buddy, Max........and several guests

Back to top Go down

Post by littlekitty Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:05 pm

pokbg wrote:I just had a lookise on the back of one of BG and Poks pouches, as they are basically in the same situation.

Only cat food they will eat is Tescos own branded pouched food with fish flavour in jelly. They also eat fish and shrimps, and always have dry food out.

As the ingredients on the fish flavoured pouches say... "meat and animal derivatives"... which is listed first - before any fish is listed... lol! Ok, so there's only 4% fish in the pouch, but atleast I know there's more then 4% of meat in it then.

I wouldn't worry, as long as she eats either wet or dry food, she shoudl be getting the nutrients she need... she certain looks it - she's such a stunning and healthy princess!

Thanks for the replies, guys. Much appreciated.

Glad mine aren't the only ones that prefer fish flavour. I'm happy to give her what she wants/likes as long as she doesn't get sick. She is healthy and happy enough, so I'll continue to feed her fish, she may get fed up of it eventually anyway, for as long as she wants it.
littlekitty
littlekitty
Cat-mad!
Cat-mad!

Number of posts : 2788
Cat(s): : Buddy and Mary

http://www.cats2crafts.com

Back to top Go down

Post by maddymoo Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:01 am

Aye, I can't add to what the others have said, except to say from the looks of things, being a fussy little bugger with cat food seems to be a normal thing for our cats! lol! The only thing my two are garenteed of eating is each others food!
maddymoo
maddymoo
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Number of posts : 5888
Cat(s): : Maddison and Bramble

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down