For The Love of Cats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Agghh! Collars!

+3
Teddy
littlekitty
Laura
7 posters

Go down

Agghh! Collars! Empty Agghh! Collars!

Post by Laura Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:02 pm

Blimin' 'eck! Percy has lost a collar a week since I've come home from hospital, it's driving me bonkers. I just bought him an engraved ID tag from eBay and now that's gone too Agghh! Collars! 172268

I always buy those quick release collars as I worry he might get stuck and hurt himself. Does anyone use the elastic collars? I'm seriously thinking of buying those instead because they might stay around his neck for longer than five minutes.
Laura
Laura
Champion Cat!
Champion Cat!

Number of posts : 802
Cat(s): : Percy
Registration date : 2008-04-06

Back to top Go down

Agghh! Collars! Empty Re: Agghh! Collars!

Post by littlekitty Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:18 pm

Hi Laura,
It is a bloody nuisance when they keep losing their collars, not to mention the cost of replacing collars/tags etc.
Buddy was forever losing his collars/nametags, so I bought some from £1 shop and they are like a soft rubbery elastic with small rubber spikes sticking out, he's had it for a while now so he must like this one. Agghh! Collars! 43453 Once or twice my neighbour found them in his garden and gave them back to me.
I can't recall Mary ever losing any of her's, I just replace her's when they get worn out.
littlekitty
littlekitty
Cat-mad!
Cat-mad!

Number of posts : 2788
Cat(s): : Buddy and Mary

http://www.cats2crafts.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Teddy Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:35 pm

Neither of mine wear them, Sophie used to and she was forever losing her, same kind as Percy's so I put a tiny piece of masking tape on, very easy to pull part, just round the *buckle* bit and that seemed to work, but I eventually left it off as she was forever scratching at it.
Teddy
Teddy
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Number of posts : 10805
Cat(s): : Moto & Sophie

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian B Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:39 pm

Not elastic collars per se, but Jimmy, Max and Dexter all have (or had in Jimmy's case) regular fluorescent collars but with a length of elastic sewn in. It seems a bit of a faff to go to all that trouble when elastic collars are cheap enough tbh, but there's no denying it seems to work. Jimmy lost his during, or soon after, a set to with Fudge, but I've not seen it in my garden to return.

Like Kath, I tried the masking tape idea but it never stayed on long. Bolas current collar is only a cheapo, and it was cut to size as it was a little too long for him, the catch is, it was all to easy for him to pull it off when scratching and a swine to put back on due to the cut end fraying a bit. I seem to have solved that by putting a bit of insulation tape on the end, it'll come off easily if he ever gets trapped, but he'd have to really try to get it off on purpose/when scratching.

Ian

Last edited by Ian B on Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ian B
Ian B
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Number of posts : 9110
Cat(s): : Fudge, Bola, Buddy, Max........and several guests

Back to top Go down

Post by pokbg Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:21 pm

Pok and BG used to have the fully elasticated collars (not just part of it elasticated, but the whole collar). Pok would often loose his, but more often then not, he'd come home with it around his belly, or one foot stuck into the collar (so basically both around the belly and the neck... lol!), which saved me getting a new one (if it had been a snap-on one, he would have lost them on all those occasions).
pokbg
pokbg
Cat-mad!
Cat-mad!

Number of posts : 4533
Cat(s): : Pok m/4, BG f/2
Registration date : 2008-04-07

https://love4cats.darkbb.com/portal.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by maddymoo Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:43 pm

We use safety collars, but not the snap ones, they have an elasticated section in them and haven't lost one yet! For Bramble we don't use a safety on as she doesn;t go out and if she has one with give in, she gets her paw caught *rolls eyes* that and if it came off would prob try and eat it *rolls eyes again*. But for Mads, the elastic safety collars are fine and we would never not use one on her as she goes outside. My partner found a childhood cat of his hung by her collar so feels very strongly about them, as you could imagine.
maddymoo
maddymoo
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Number of posts : 5888
Cat(s): : Maddison and Bramble

Back to top Go down

Post by Laura Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:08 pm

Oh God, Helen, poor Calvin, that must have been so traumatic for him. I'm starting to regret buying the elastic type this afternoon now! And I hate the thought of him trapping his paw through it. The problem is he just gets through the snap type like nobodies business. It was costing me £6 per week (that's with an ID tag too).

I bought two of the normal collars with elastic section in a reflective material and I'm forgoing the ID tag for the time being, he's microchipped. I just hope he keeps this type on and doesn't do himself a mischief.
Laura
Laura
Champion Cat!
Champion Cat!

Back to top Go down

Post by *Prince* Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:01 am

maddymoo wrote:. My partner found a childhood cat of his hung by her collar so feels very strongly about them, as you could imagine.

Oh no. That is so awful. Something he will never forget, or chance happening to another cat again. No
*Prince*
*Prince*
Cat-mad!
Cat-mad!

Number of posts : 3971
Cat(s): : Prince
Registration date : 2008-04-24

Back to top Go down

Post by maddymoo Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:09 am

Laura wrote:Oh God, Helen, poor Calvin, that must have been so traumatic for him. I'm starting to regret buying the elastic type this afternoon now! And I hate the thought of him trapping his paw through it. The problem is he just gets through the snap type like nobodies business. It was costing me £6 per week (that's with an ID tag too).

I bought two of the normal collars with elastic section in a reflective material and I'm forgoing the ID tag for the time being, he's microchipped. I just hope he keeps this type on and doesn't do himself a mischief.

I didn't mean to scare you (((hugs))). Oh we don't use the snap ones for the same reason. As I said the safety ones we use just have a bit of elastic in them, sound v similar to what you've described, have a good look at the packaging, I'm sure they'll be safety ones as it actually seems to be difficult getting non-safety ones these days, unless you get the expensive fashion ones. LOL

As Percy's microchipped you should be fine without the ID tag, the collar and his condition are enough for someone to recognise he has a home.
maddymoo
maddymoo
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Number of posts : 5888
Cat(s): : Maddison and Bramble

Back to top Go down

Post by Laura Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:16 am

maddymoo wrote:
Laura wrote:Oh God, Helen, poor Calvin, that must have been so traumatic for him. I'm starting to regret buying the elastic type this afternoon now! And I hate the thought of him trapping his paw through it. The problem is he just gets through the snap type like nobodies business. It was costing me £6 per week (that's with an ID tag too).

I didn't mean to scare you (((hugs))). Oh we don't use the snap ones for the same reason. As I said the safety ones we use just have a bit of elastic in them, sound v similar to what you've described, have a good look at the packaging, I'm sure they'll be safety ones as it actually seems to be difficult getting non-safety ones these days, unless you get the expensive fashion ones. LOL

As Percy's microchipped you should be fine without the ID tag, the collar and his condition are enough for someone to recognise he has a home.

Thanks, love Agghh! Collars! 895769
Laura
Laura
Champion Cat!
Champion Cat!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down