For The Love of Cats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I feel like a horrible mean mum!

+2
Teddy
maddymoo
6 posters

Go down

I feel like a horrible mean mum! Empty I feel like a horrible mean mum!

Post by maddymoo Sat May 02, 2009 1:15 pm

They are being such a pain with wanting each others food and they can't! Maddys' food could be deprimental to Bramble and Maddy needs her food and definately no extra as absolutely has to loose weight. So I have to be able to monitor what they are both eating. I can't stand over them all day constantly moving them back to their own bowls and when I'm back at work its a definate no no and as they really cannot be trusted to only eat from their own bowls I'm having to take their food away when I'm not around. So I'm now trying to get them used to getting small amounts of food in the morning, early evening and last thing at night and as they both believe food will always be there, they'll have a nibble then walk away, so to get them away from that way of thinking (this is where the evil bit comes in), I'm giving them 10mins from when the food is put down and if they've walked away it by that time I'm lifting their bowls up and they don't get anymore until their next feeding time. Its horrible as they see I'm home and keep asking me for food, but I can't cave in as they learn the new regime as when I'm back at work, its the way its going to have to be. I feel as tho I'm starving them!
maddymoo
maddymoo
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Number of posts : 5888
Cat(s): : Maddison and Bramble
Registration date : 2008-04-06

Back to top Go down

I feel like a horrible mean mum! Empty Re: I feel like a horrible mean mum!

Post by Teddy Sat May 02, 2009 8:34 pm

No Helen, they won't starve, before you know it, they will realise that there is a new way of being fed. I only feed mine morning, teatime and bedtime. There is dry food out but neither of them like it, so they don't touch it. Sometimes Sophie doesn't eat at all and she gets a different diet from Moto, so we make sure Moto can't get hers, still with me??? so if she doesn't eat before we go to work she doesn't get anything until we come home and it hasn't done her any harm It's going to be more difficult for you because you're the one that has to constantly listen to their complaints. Moto constantly bugs me over the weekend simply because am there, he does it from the minute he finishes his breakfast until teatime, we don't change their regime just because it's the weekend. So stick to it and they will learn. x
Teddy
Teddy
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Number of posts : 10805
Cat(s): : Moto & Sophie

Back to top Go down

Post by nicola Sat May 02, 2009 11:15 pm

Helen you won't starve them mate honestly, they will get to know they will have to eat food when it's down, at the moment they are testing you to see if you will cave in and put more down for them (remember we are talking about cats and they are the most devious of animals or is that just my 2 lol).
In time they will get into a routine and it will be as if you have always fed them like that.

nicola
Cat-mad!
Cat-mad!

Number of posts : 1467
Cat(s): : yes.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian B Sun May 03, 2009 8:34 am

Hi Helen,

It may be worthwhile you getting a couple of those automatic feeders where you can set the time they open. The bonus is they also keep food fresh so once the timer is set you can put them down and forget all about them, tho' with Bramble and Maddy needing different foods it could be a bit tricky, but on the plus side, you know they couldn't eat of lot of each others food while you're out at work.

Ian
Ian B
Ian B
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Number of posts : 9110
Cat(s): : Fudge, Bola, Buddy, Max........and several guests

Back to top Go down

Post by pokbg Mon May 04, 2009 3:36 am

nicola wrote:(remember we are talking about cats and they are the most devious of animals or is that just my 2 lol).
ROFL! Nope not just yours... I can vouch for that one too! lol!

Don't worry Helen... oh they might not be best pleased for a week or two, but they'll soon get the drift of it. As long as you can stand the evil looks you'll get for the next week, you and the babies will be fine.
pokbg
pokbg
Cat-mad!
Cat-mad!

Number of posts : 4533
Cat(s): : Pok m/4, BG f/2
Registration date : 2008-04-07

https://love4cats.darkbb.com/portal.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by *Prince* Mon May 04, 2009 4:21 pm

Totally agree with the others Helen. You are not being mean, you are being a loving and caring mum, with their best interests at heart, and they WILL adjust. We all find it hard to say no when they cry for food. Princey is dreadful at times, and we have to be so strict with him too. He has been an even bigger pain in the ass this weekend, and his feeding times have always been just biscuits at breakfast (measured out) and then biscuits with a splash of whiskas milk at tea time. He has never been fed in between, yet has been a greeting-face all weekend! I feel like a horrible mean mum! 43453
*Prince*
*Prince*
Cat-mad!
Cat-mad!

Number of posts : 3971
Cat(s): : Prince
Registration date : 2008-04-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down