For The Love of Cats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Boosters

3 posters

Go down

Boosters Empty Boosters

Post by littlekitty Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:05 pm

My two are due their yearly boosters this week, but just wondering if they need to be done yearly. As I read that the vacine last for three years, but if you don't vaccinate every year then you have to start again with both the injections.

Is there a need for this to be done every year? and also mine always have the leukamia one which I never ask for, is this one necessary?
littlekitty
littlekitty
Cat-mad!
Cat-mad!

Number of posts : 2788
Cat(s): : Buddy and Mary
Registration date : 2008-04-06

http://www.cats2crafts.com

Back to top Go down

Boosters Empty Re: Boosters

Post by Teddy Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:59 pm

Haven't a clue Lynn, but we do ours every year just as standard, I know catteries won't accept them if they haven't been vaccinated, sometimes I think it's easy money for the vets, but knowing my luck, fate would play a double hand and am not prepared to risk it.
Teddy
Teddy
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Number of posts : 10805
Cat(s): : Moto & Sophie

Back to top Go down

Post by Gilly Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:06 am

There's been a lot about this very subject in cat & dog magazines lately and it HAS left me wondering what to do confused

When I was 11 years old my parents bought a mongrel pup that we named Lady. She had all her normal puppy vaccinations and then her yearly booster until she was around 6 years old. From then on until she died of old age at 17 years they never had any more injections done ( skint they said!). Lady never had a day's illness in her life apart from a touch of kennel cough when she was around a year old and a damaged leg when she ran in front of a car when she was 18 months old. We got her as a 6 week old pup from a pet shop (I know - slapped wrists!) for £7 on June 16th 1979 so the inoculations these days are FAR more advanced.

As you say Kath, catteries won't accept cats unless they are fully up to date with their jabs BUT what if you don't want to have to vaccinate every year confused I've heard that some catteries acccept cats that have holistic (think that's the right word) vaccinations but personally....I just don't know!!! Boosters 172268 I don't like the idea of our pets being injected with yearly doses of unnecessary vaccine which, realistically, cannot be good for the body but, on the other hand, could we EVER forgive ourselves if they caught a fatal disease because we had NOT had them done! No

Or are dogs 'less likely' to pick up diseases as you rarely hear of distemper or parvovirus these days.....whereas Feline Aids and other nasties ARE still rife and scare the life out of me!!! pale Perhaps folks are less likely to vaccinate a kitten than they are a puppy? No Everyone knows about not letting pups out until after their second jab but in my time working at the pet shop (just before I met Neil) not many folk knew of (or were bothered about!) getting their kittens done! Boosters 265331
Gilly
Gilly
Cat-mad!
Cat-mad!

Number of posts : 2024
Cat(s): : Thomas, Misty & Tiger Lily
Registration date : 2008-04-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Teddy Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:49 am

It's more likely a cat wil succumb to something simply because they roam, dogs are taken out on a lead and ewe know where they are. cats? well little slappers can be up to anything, we don't know who they hang around with. LOL Sorry being flippant, well Helen's not here someone has to keep it up.
Teddy
Teddy
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Number of posts : 10805
Cat(s): : Moto & Sophie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down