For The Love of Cats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Staying in

2 posters

Go down

Staying in Empty Staying in

Post by littlekitty Wed May 11, 2011 9:19 am

Last night we locked the flap as Buddy keeps bringing in live things. We are thinking of doing this every night during the summer, but I don't like Mary being outside all night (Buddy wants out if we keep him in) so do you think she will re adjust to staying in all night? We've had the flap now for nearly 4 years, and is used to her freedom, but why should she suffer of being locked out because of Buddy.
I hardly slept last night as she wanted out/in most of the night.
Is it worth the hassle. (Still haven't found the mouse he bought in yesterday, going to get more traps, but if it's under the washer it could be dead with the noise or got tangled in something).
littlekitty
littlekitty
Cat-mad!
Cat-mad!

Number of posts : 2788
Cat(s): : Buddy and Mary
Registration date : 2008-04-06

http://www.cats2crafts.com

Back to top Go down

Staying in Empty Re: Staying in

Post by Ian B Wed May 11, 2011 9:37 am

Hi Lynn,

I wouldn't lock the flap, it's not fair on Mary plus I like to know my lot can come in/go out as and when they want to and I sleep easier knowing this. It's probably worse with toms, even neutered ones, if the weather is warm and dry they may easily be tempted to wander further than usual if they can't get in which will only increase the chances of them getting into trouble imo.

Is there anywhere outside like a shed you could leave a box for Mary to use if you do lock the flap?

I've had much the same problem with Bola bringing frogs in, tho' none so far this year Staying in 579159 (famous last words Laughing) and Dexter from next door has a habit of bolting to my flap at times after he's caught a bird Rolling Eyes It's a real pita but I've learned to live with it now.

Ian
Ian B
Ian B
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Number of posts : 9110
Cat(s): : Fudge, Bola, Buddy, Max........and several guests

Back to top Go down

Post by littlekitty Thu May 12, 2011 11:27 am

Last night I got both cats in at 11pm and locked the flap. After a bit of wandering around, Both seemed to settle down after discovering the flap was locked.
Not sure if Buddy howled to get out(never heard him) but I heard someone heading the flap at 4.30am so let them both out (flap still locked) and went back to bed. Half hour later Mary wanted in, so we had a cuddle and at 6.30am the flap was opened and normal service has resumed. Buddy was out for a few hours but is now back home.
I'm really pleased that they did a full night in, going to stick to it now. Mark wasn't happy at me taking the freedom away, but my cats, my decision. I think they will adjust to the new routine quicker than I thought.
littlekitty
littlekitty
Cat-mad!
Cat-mad!

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian B Thu May 12, 2011 7:29 pm

Hi Lynn,

They'll adjust ok, the trick will be getting them to come in at night once they've cottoned onto the fact they won't be able to get out again Laughing

Ian
Ian B
Ian B
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by littlekitty Sat May 14, 2011 9:49 pm

Ian B wrote:Hi Lynn,

They'll adjust ok, the trick will be getting them to come in at night once they've cottoned onto the fact they won't be able to get out again Laughing

Ian

Your spot on there Ian. Although Mary has adjusted to staying in all night, Buddy goes out at 9pm and doesn't come back till late, but we still lock the flap now, which means he is out all night, unless Mark lets him in.he has shelter outside, but when winter comes he will be in more so we will be able to get him to stay in all night.
littlekitty
littlekitty
Cat-mad!
Cat-mad!

Back to top Go down

Post by littlekitty Mon May 16, 2011 9:53 am

Although the flap is locked at night, Buddy is quite happy to stay out (he has shelter) hunting. He seems to be more loving now and ready for a cuddle, whereas before, he didn't bother. He goes out about 8pm and comes in at 10pm, but Mary is still out, so by the time Mary has come in, he's gone out again. Obviously when winter comes he will be in all night.
Mary is quite happy to stay in, so they have both adjusted to the flap being locked. Only thing is she still doesn't realise I open the flap at 6.30am, so I have to push the flap open for her.
littlekitty
littlekitty
Cat-mad!
Cat-mad!

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian B Mon May 16, 2011 10:19 am

Good to hear they're settled in the new routine Lynn Very Happy Staying in 579159

Ian
Ian B
Ian B
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content