For The Love of Cats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

De Clawing a cat?

4 posters

Go down

De Clawing a cat? Empty De Clawing a cat?

Post by Inga Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:03 am

I recently got a cat from the shelter that is de-clawed. It bothered me that they didnt' seem to care what I did with her, she was going to be put to sleep anyhow. It bothers me that so many shelters have gone the way of big business and seem to care more about the bottom line then the individual animal but that is a whole other subject. Anyway, I was wondering how many of you have your cats de clawed and wonder what your thoughts are on that subject?
Inga
Inga

Number of posts : 17
Cat(s): : Madeline the DSH
Registration date : 2011-09-06

Back to top Go down

De Clawing a cat? Empty Re: De Clawing a cat?

Post by Ian B Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:38 am

Hi Inga,

It's thankfully illegal in the UK and rightfully so, it's barbaric imo.

I can *just* about see the reasoning in doing it on indoor only cats, but enough of them escape from time to time, and to do that without their main means of defence is asking for a badly hurt cat should they get into a fight outside.

Ian
Ian B
Ian B
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Number of posts : 9110
Cat(s): : Fudge, Bola, Buddy, Max........and several guests
Registration date : 2008-04-06

Back to top Go down

Post by littlekitty Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:21 am

I am totally against de clawing it's totally unnecessary and barbaric. A cat is meant to have claws it's there defense weapon.
Some shelter's don't care what happens to the animals they just want them out the way. Before I got Mary I was told "she will eat anything and is so loving and gentle". Wrong. She wouldn't eat just anything she was a picky eater and she was far from loving and gentle, she hated men, my OH had several scratches from her, couldn't get near her. She hates being picked up. But now she's a very diffrent cat to back then, she is loving and gentle and she adores my OH, but still doesn't like to be picked up.
Also when we went to view our dog the shelter said they didn't know what to do about him as he had behaviour issues, I think they were releived when we took him.
littlekitty
littlekitty
Cat-mad!
Cat-mad!

Number of posts : 2788
Cat(s): : Buddy and Mary

http://www.cats2crafts.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Teddy Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:42 pm

De-clawing is a huge no no. It's like amputating our fingers down to the first knuckle, extremely painful and totally unnecessary. If someone is against a cat scrathing furniture etc, they shouldn't get a cat. As Ian said it's against the law here and I wish other countries would follow suit and ban the practice too.
Teddy
Teddy
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Number of posts : 10805
Cat(s): : Moto & Sophie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum