For The Love of Cats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

It's Buddy's turn now............

+2
Teddy
Ian B
6 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

It's Buddy's turn now............ Empty It's Buddy's turn now............

Post by Ian B Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:30 pm

...........and this one I am worried about.

I noticed his third eyelid was showing slightly late last night but thought nothing of it, but when he slept on my bed for the very first time and didn't even complain/wake when I moved him to get in myself I thought something was wrong.

He'd gone out by the time I got up, and I'm pretty sure that was straight from my bed, but he turned up for brekkie tho' refused everything I gave him. I thought Pablos performance this morning may have dulled Buddy's appetite, but I'm now sure it's not that. He trotted back upstairs to my bed and was still there when I went shopping but had gone when I got back at 10.15am.

I didn't see him again till 3.45pm when he turned up looking a bit off colour (third eyelid showing even more now) and he refused wet food again, tho' he ate a bit, and I mean a bit, of cooked chicken, then had a drink. What is really baffling me is that he got himself into the box on the didining table but appeared unable to get down to the floor, it's not a big jump for a cat but he had to climb onto a chair first, then onto the floor.

He was in the box in the junkroom, half asleep/half awake, but for such a energetic cat he's anything but atm.
He woke up and had a wash, but after my experience with Beckett, I won't let this carry on for long before a vet visit with Buddy.

'EDIT'

He's just come into my bedrom so he obviously got down from the box in the junkroom, but after wanting to jump onto my bed he gave up after three half hearted attempts.

Ian
Ian B
Ian B
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Number of posts : 9110
Cat(s): : Fudge, Bola, Buddy, Max........and several guests
Registration date : 2008-04-06

Back to top Go down

It's Buddy's turn now............ Empty Re: It's Buddy's turn now............

Post by Teddy Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:38 pm

Oh that doesn't sound good, if he's struggling to get down or get on to something it seems he doesn't have much energy. ATM all you can do is try and get him to drink, doesn't really matter if he doesn't eat for a couple of days, but he doesn't want to get de-hydrated, if he's still like this tomorrow I would take him to the vet, no doubt an injection would be on the cards, but better safe than sorry.
Teddy
Teddy
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Number of posts : 10805
Cat(s): : Moto & Sophie

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian B Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:53 pm

The box in the junkroom is on top of the tumble drier and the only way to get into the box is by jumping onto the windowsill first, but he managed that, and got down again ok. He's trotting, albeit slower than usuall, round the house atm (poor Bola has just got a slapped bum for wanting a playfight with him) I'll see how he is for the rest of the day, but if he disappears again tonight/tomorrow as he did today, getting him to the vets would be tricky.

Ian
Ian B
Ian B
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Teddy Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:00 pm

Aye it would, hopefully he'll get better, like kids they can be up and down and it is a worry, he's still moving around so that in itself is good, if he was really lethargic and dozy well as you know that's a case for a vet visit. Is he offically yours now then, does he not bother at all with Donna?
Teddy
Teddy
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian B Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:17 pm

When Donna asked me about taking Pablo on she said Buddy hadn't been near her house for months on end, so I guess he's *mine* now. He used to call there every now and then, but he ended up a stranger to their dogs and vice versa so it looks like he eventually gave up.

I'm still not convinced he doesn't go elsewhere besides here, in fact I'm sure he used to. A big part of my getting a collar/ID for him was after my only seeing him for about 1 hour in 36 one time, I reasoned that if he went elsewhere and they saw the collar/ID they'd get in touch but no. This could be coincidence, but he's spent more time here since getting the collar/ID, so if he was going elsewhere perhaps they've now stopped him coming in.

'EDIT'

I thought he'd gone out but he's clambered up onto the recliner in my livingroom and has curled up.

Ian
Ian B
Ian B
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Teddy Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:42 pm

Yes definately sounds like he's adopted you. So how many cats do you have now, aye the ones you can lay claim to, not the drifters. Laughing
Teddy
Teddy
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian B Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:58 am

Fudge and Bola are mine, Max and Buddy are semi officially mine Laughing

Buddy came home at 7.20pm yesterday and was much the same, tho' he had a good scratch at one of the posts on my cat tree, the first time he's done that in the past 48 hours. After he'd finished scratching he wanted to jump up to the livingroom windowsll but *couldn't* and I had to lift him, but when there he filled his face with biscuits and had a drink afterwards.

He settled down to sleep, first on a bookcase next to the windowsill then on my recliner, but woke at 12.15am and wandered into the kitchen to ask for food. I fed him and Bola together but as usual, it didn't take Bola long to bully him away from his food, tho' as Buddy had eaten plenty of dry I wasn't overly bothered.

Around 12.30am Buddy was in the kitchen looking thro' the flap and showed no interest in going out, but did at 12.50am and soon disappeared into the night and even tho' I was out shouting him till 1.15am I've not seen him since. I was hoping he'd have come home during the night but no and it's too early to go shouting loudly for him today, tho' I have been out looking.

The more I think about this the more convinced I am he's got problems with his vision. I started a thread some time back about his pupils always seeming to be dilated, they weren't, but this latest episode makes me think he's having trouble seeing, especially judging distances when jumping onto/off things as he seems happy enough in himself and is in no obvious pain even when I handle him. Another thing that makes me think his eyes are bothering him is when drinking, he dips his nose in the water, almost as tho' he can't tell where the level is. He doesn't do this every time but it happens fairly frequently, tho' tbh, Max does the same but nowhere near as often.

Ian
Ian B
Ian B
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian B Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:26 am

He's just turned up and is filling his face atm Very Happy It's Buddy's turn now............ 579159 tho' I don't know how he got past me confused Mind you, I was a bit distracted by Pablo and stripey tailed tom meeting for the first time, at least here, and Pablo was (still is) at his vocal best Shocked Laughing

'EDIT'

Buddy didn't stay as long as I would have liked, but at least he's outside doing *normal* cat things in my loony neighbours garden.

Ian
Ian B
Ian B
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian B Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:36 am

He was in when I got back from shopping just now, having a good drink as I walked into the livingroom and has just eaten a bit of wet food, not as much as I'd like but at least he's eating.

His third eyelid is still showing, but nowhere near as obviously as yesterday and he looks a lot brighter in general, but again he didn't stay in very long so he must have found somewhere warm and comfy outside.

Ian
Ian B
Ian B
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Teddy Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:17 pm

The eyesight thing is a puzzle, could you try playing with him using the rod toy and see if he follows it? When Sam lost his sight he kind of fooled us as he knew where the furniture was so would walk around it, also if his whiskers touched something he would walk around it, but when I put something right in front iof him that he didn't recognise he would stop short and not move, sad to see.
Teddy
Teddy
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian B Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:21 pm

I did yesterday and while he wasn't interested in playing he followed the feather pretty much as usual, but his head was kinda jerking as tho' his vision was stop-start, tho' he's more or less always been like this.

Ian
Ian B
Ian B
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Teddy Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:23 pm

Wonder if it could be a congenital sight problem that he's managing but now and again it gets a bit worse and he's to re-focus so to speak.
Teddy
Teddy
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian B Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:29 pm

It could well be Kath. I know my neuro disorder affects my vision, I've got the same sort of stop-start thing. If I watch a bird of plane flying it's not one continuous movement, they seem to stop for a fraction of a second. Maybe Buddy has something like this?

Ian
Ian B
Ian B
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Teddy Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:35 pm

Could be, doesn't have to affect just humans, difficult one though as what do you do? if he's fine otherwise do you leave well alone or do you get him tested just to be told something worrying , I would be inclined to leave things but to watch out for him.
Teddy
Teddy
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by *Prince* Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:32 pm

Only just noticed this thread Ian. How has he been today?
*Prince*
*Prince*
Cat-mad!
Cat-mad!

Number of posts : 3971
Cat(s): : Prince
Registration date : 2008-04-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian B Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:43 am

*Prince* wrote:Only just noticed this thread Ian. How has he been today?
He was fine when I set off for my bus yesterday morning, sat at the bottom of my garden giving the evil eye to the cat from across the road as he went in thro' the open door, but I've not seen him since I got back around 4.30pm. He could have come in and I missed him as I had a very, very early night (so early I was awake and wanted to get up at 3am Embarassed)

Hang on, he's home, I've just heard him yowling at the cat from aross the road in the livingroom Rolling Eyes tho' I'm kinda glad to hear him do this tbh as he hadn't shown much interest in him for the past couple of days. I've left Buddy tucking into his brekkie in the kitchen and at first glance his eyes seem back to normal Very Happy

'EDIT'

I was going to say he's had seconds, but he's now on thirds Shocked It's Buddy's turn now............ 579159

Altho' he seems fine now, I'll ask the vet to give him the once over when I book him in for neutering (chipping?) hopefully in the next week or two.

'EDIT 2'

He's now on fourths Shocked

I bought some cheapo tins of Whiskas Rabbit/Chicken Supermeat for stripey tail, but after finishing a pouch of Felix As Good As It Looks, Buddy has now eaten 3/4 of a tin of Rabbit Supermeat It's Buddy's turn now............ 579159 He'll burst before long at this rate Laughing

Ian
Ian B
Ian B
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian B Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:17 pm

He's still not interested in playing with the fishing rod toy or playfighting with Bola, but overall he's much better.

On a side note, I may have got it completely wrong about his regular disappearing acts, he might well have been right under my nose all the time as I've found his *secret hide-away* in the house, behind a freezer under the stairs.

Ian
Ian B
Ian B
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Teddy Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:57 am

How on earth did you find that out. LOL well when he's there he's safe and warm It's Buddy's turn now............ 579159
Teddy
Teddy
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian B Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:23 am

I found out purely by chance. He was at my feet in the hall one second and the next he'd vanished, the only place he could have gone was under the stairs. As my kitchen is only matchbox size, there's two freezers unde the stairs, along with my hoover, so unless he's seen going there it's unlikely he'd be spotted. He's there atm, curled up fast asleep It's Buddy's turn now............ 579159

Ian
Ian B
Ian B
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Teddy Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:32 am

Mystery solved then, and I bet he's happy as larry in there.
Teddy
Teddy
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian B Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:13 pm

Here he is, but you'll have to excuse the mess Embarassed it's bloody awkward to get behind the freezers to tidy up all the things that have fallen down the back of them.

It's Buddy's turn now............ Buddy_12

Ian
Ian B
Ian B
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Teddy Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:25 pm

He's out of it Laughing They do like secure private places to sleep. I have to admit behind my fridge/washer etc, gets cleaned out when one you them breaks down and we have to pull them forward, shame on me. Embarassed It's Buddy's turn now............ 43453

Last week I left a cupboard door open, this cupboard is basically for hanging coats up in but I also keep my laundry basket there, well I went to close the door and there was sophie, snug as you like on top of the dirty clothes, giving me one of those looks. Laughing
Teddy
Teddy
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by nicola Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:53 pm

Sorry Ian only just seen this thread, I'm glad he seems more like his old self now and maybe it was just an off day, but good idea about asking the vet to give hime the once over!

nicola
Cat-mad!
Cat-mad!

Number of posts : 1467
Cat(s): : yes.

Back to top Go down

Post by *Prince* Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:10 pm

Awww, look at him all bosied and cosied up.
*Prince*
*Prince*
Cat-mad!
Cat-mad!

Number of posts : 3971
Cat(s): : Prince
Registration date : 2008-04-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian B Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:17 pm

He's still not interested in playing with the fishing rod toy, so he can't be feeling 100% as he'd often sit there pawing at it wanting me to play with him when I was outside, but I can't tempt him to chase the feather atm. Other than that he's fine, eating and drinking ok, not to mention sleeping Laughing

Ian
Ian B
Ian B
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next