For The Love of Cats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Little bit worried

+4
*Prince*
Ian B
Teddy
Ceri
8 posters

Go down

Little bit worried Empty Little bit worried

Post by Ceri Sat May 24, 2008 11:31 am

Monty had a loose poo last night but was fine in himself so we just presumed he'd gobbled some of Misty's high fibre biscuits. This morning when i went into the kitchen the girls were up but he was in Moli's basket looking a bit serious, and on the floor was quite a large patch of clear sick. On the mat by the back door there was a little patch of yellow which i thought was sick but when i saw the litter tray outside the back door there was motion of the same colour in there so i think it was a whoopsy on the way to the tray. That motion was semi-formed but with lots of water round it (sorry to be so graphic!)

We have offered him some Hills A/D (the food vets use for unwell cats) this morning mixed with some warm water but he didn't even look at it. I just hope he's not dehydrated and will drink some water if he needs to. He is walking around but is looking rather sad and delicate.

The girls are fine so i'm not sure what's caused this, he has been going out in the garden for short periods once or twice a day but doesn't leave the garden so don't think he could have eaten anything. It's horrible to see him like this when he's usually such a hooligan Crying or Very sad

Ceri
Kitty-Chatter
Kitty-Chatter

Number of posts : 260
Cat(s): : Moli, Misty & Monty
Registration date : 2008-04-10

Back to top Go down

Little bit worried Empty Re: Little bit worried

Post by Teddy Sat May 24, 2008 11:51 am

Aaaww poor thing, it could be something from the garden, look for feathers he may have gobbled a bird. LOL or he could have a bug, if you're still worried later today and if your vet has an afternoon session, I would take him and get checked over. Don't worry too much if he doesn't eat, if he's feeling poorly, he won't want to eat, but you're right about the water, try and get him to drink, keep us updated, it is such a worry.
Teddy
Teddy
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Number of posts : 10805
Cat(s): : Moto & Sophie
Registration date : 2008-04-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Ceri Sat May 24, 2008 12:13 pm

Kath thanks for replying, it's always reassuring to have someone look at situation calmly when you're worried!

I don't think he got a bird or anything, we had sight of him for most of the time he was in the garden yesterday and no evidence of anything. Hopefully it's just a bug, he's just tried to be sick again but didn't have anything to bring up, just a tiny little bit of clear/yellow fluid. He had been sitting hunched up on the floor but has now decided to go and sleep in his radiator hammock.

Unfortunately our vets don't have weekend surgery and also don't have any out of hours system as it's a one man practice. You have to take them to a hospital about 35 minutes away, so we'll have to see how he goes and encourage fluids so he stays hydrated.

Ceri
Kitty-Chatter
Kitty-Chatter

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian B Sat May 24, 2008 12:23 pm

Hi Ceri,

As Kath said, try not to worry, the chances are it's nothing serious, but go with your instincts. If you are really worried, take him to the hospital, it's better to be safe than sorry, pets can't tell you how they are feeling or if they've done/eaten something they shouldn't have.

Ian
Ian B
Ian B
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Number of posts : 9110
Cat(s): : Fudge, Bola, Buddy, Max........and several guests

Back to top Go down

Post by *Prince* Sat May 24, 2008 2:28 pm

Ceri, sorry to hear Monty Boy is unwell. Hopefully, now he's "got it out of his system", whatever it was, he will be ok, but like the others have said, keep your eye on him. Sometimes they just get an upset tummy like us eh. xx
*Prince*
*Prince*
Cat-mad!
Cat-mad!

Number of posts : 3971
Cat(s): : Prince
Registration date : 2008-04-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Laura Sat May 24, 2008 2:30 pm

Oh no, poor Monty. It does sound like an upset tummy. When the weather warms and cats spend more time outside they do have a tendancy to eat odd things. Percy eats moths, flies, bits of twig and grass. So I wouldn't be surprised if Monty has done the same thing.

I can only say the same thing as Kath and Ian, that if you see no improvement take him to the vets.

Hope the little bear feels better soon x
Laura
Laura
Champion Cat!
Champion Cat!

Number of posts : 802
Cat(s): : Percy

Back to top Go down

Post by pokbg Sat May 24, 2008 4:17 pm

Poor little Monty... sending him lots of gentle cuddles!

Pok never has a dodgy tummy (BG will sometimes have loose stools, but that's just the way she is)... but I still remember when he was about 8 months old... and my goodness did he have a dodgy tummy! Poor little mite had tried to get to the litter tray, but didn't manage in time... and it was very similar to what you described with Monty.

We thought it was probably a case of him having eaten something outside that made the reaction... made sure he had plenty of water, and we gave him cooked chicken for that day. Next day he was fine again.

The worry is if he's getting any fluids in him, as he vomits and have a dodgy tummy, everythign will come back up again... is he still drinking?

Hopefully he'll feel better after a little snooze... but as mentioned above, go with your instincts. I'm sure he'll be fine again soon.
pokbg
pokbg
Cat-mad!
Cat-mad!

Number of posts : 4533
Cat(s): : Pok m/4, BG f/2
Registration date : 2008-04-07

https://love4cats.darkbb.com/portal.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by Ceri Sat May 24, 2008 5:24 pm

Well he was sick again once more this morning but then settled down for a sleep and hadn't been sick again for a while and we had to pop out for a little while so left him with a glass of water (because he drinks better from a glass than a bowl) and whizzed out quickly. When we got back he was still in his radiator hammock and the rest seemed to have done him good - he enjoyed a gentle stroke and even gave a little purr and is now wandering about looking a little brighter than earlier! Still not my little hooligan, but definately a better boy then before. Smile
Just need to try and get him to have a good drink now. Very relieved that he's improving because a journey in the car to the hospital would have stressed him out.

Laura i think you could be right about him eating an insect or something, since the girls seem to be fine!!

EDIT: He's just been dipping his paw in the glass of water and licking it! Not much but better than nothing

Ceri
Kitty-Chatter
Kitty-Chatter

Back to top Go down

Post by *Prince* Sat May 24, 2008 5:31 pm

Awww, Ceri, glad to hear Monty Boy is improving, even if its just a little bit. Love the imagery of him licking his paw after dunking it in his glass of water.
*Prince*
*Prince*
Cat-mad!
Cat-mad!

Number of posts : 3971
Cat(s): : Prince
Registration date : 2008-04-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Ceri Sat May 24, 2008 5:47 pm

*Prince* wrote:Awww, Ceri, glad to hear Monty Boy is improving, even if its just a little bit. Love the imagery of him licking his paw after dunking it in his glass of water.

I know, he's a rascal even on his sick bed! He has now had a few licks of a fresh bowl of the Hills A/D mixed with water and hasn't stopped purring since!!!

Ceri
Kitty-Chatter
Kitty-Chatter

Back to top Go down

Post by pokbg Sat May 24, 2008 6:47 pm

Great news, Ceri - sounds like the little one is improving more and more! Fabulous news that he's eating and drinking (I can picture him with his glass, and his pawdunking - oh so cute!)... here's hoping it will stay down!
pokbg
pokbg
Cat-mad!
Cat-mad!

Back to top Go down

Post by Teddy Sun May 25, 2008 12:04 am

Great to hear Monty is feeling better, bless him, hopefully tomorrow he'll be back to being your own wee hooligan.
Teddy
Teddy
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by nicola Sun May 25, 2008 12:19 am

Awwwww bless poor Monty, but it's so good to hear he's feeing better now!

nicola
Cat-mad!
Cat-mad!

Number of posts : 1467
Cat(s): : yes.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ceri Sun May 25, 2008 12:06 pm

Thanks for all your reassurance yesterday, my little man is back to his usual self today and has been 'helping' to iron some sheets this morning by rolling himself up in the bottom of them! Rolling Eyes

He was so much improved yesterday afternoon/evening it was such a relief - bless him he didn't stop purring until he went to sleep last night he was so pleased to be feeling better!

Thank you all again xx

Ceri
Kitty-Chatter
Kitty-Chatter

Back to top Go down

Post by Laura Sun May 25, 2008 12:41 pm

Aww! I'm so pleased Monty-pie is better today. It was just an 'off' day for the little man then Smile

They are a worry when they're like that though, aren't they. x
Laura
Laura
Champion Cat!
Champion Cat!

Number of posts : 802
Cat(s): : Percy

Back to top Go down

Post by maddymoo Sun May 25, 2008 1:44 pm

I'm so sorry I missed this! Poor Monty! So relieved he's feeling better and is on the mend. It is so worrying when they're poorly. Give him some gentle hugs from me. x
maddymoo
maddymoo
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Number of posts : 5888
Cat(s): : Maddison and Bramble

Back to top Go down

Post by Teddy Sun May 25, 2008 4:18 pm

Gald he's better today Ceri, must just have been an off day for him.
Teddy
Teddy
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by pokbg Sun May 25, 2008 5:16 pm

Fabulous news that Monty boy is feeling so much better! If he's "helping" with the house work then, I'm sure he's feeling fine again! lol!

Poks favourite is helping with making the bed... something that could be done in seconds, turns into a game of over half an hour.
pokbg
pokbg
Cat-mad!
Cat-mad!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content