For The Love of Cats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Max Herpes flare-up

4 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Max Herpes flare-up - Page 3 Empty Re: Max Herpes flare-up

Post by Ian B Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:29 pm

Hi Kath,

I've joined a feline herpes Yahoo support group and judging by some of the cases there he's got away lightly (so far anyway) Some of them are seemingly never clear of it, tho' one poster said recently her cat had been clear for a year now, hopefully Max will follow suit.The good thing is I now know the signs to look for and the vets know what they're treating, so any flare-ups can be nipped in the bud before he gets as poorly again. Watching him get so bad his throat and mouth were so painful he couldn't eat or drink was horrible, then finding him breathing like a goldfish before rushing him to the vets was a million times worse.

There's mixed reports online about the effectiveness of Lysine against herpes, tho' there's more pro than anti views so I'll persevere with it as it can't do any harm if it does no good. A big plus is he likes the taste and you can't say that about many cat meds can you? Laughing

I'd love to know how he picked it up in the first place, he must have been in very close contact with a infected cat but he doesn't go far and I've not seen any likely suspects in my garden. I can't say for sure both Jimmy and the black cat from across the road also had it, but them showing very similar tho' not as bad, symptoms is a bit too coincidental for my liking. I can't see them becoming infected from Max either as he'd been clear for a few days when they started coughing and sneezing.

Ian
Ian B
Ian B
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Number of posts : 9110
Cat(s): : Fudge, Bola, Buddy, Max........and several guests
Registration date : 2008-04-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Teddy Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:02 pm

I'm wondering if the balck cat could be a carrier, not Jimmy as you've known hin for so long. But as a carrier, the balck cat doesn't need to show any symptoms. I'm just glad that Max survived, could so easily have turned out a tragedy. Good that you've got a support group.
Teddy
Teddy
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Number of posts : 10805
Cat(s): : Moto & Sophie

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian B Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:37 pm

It may well be that Kath, tho' I can't see a carrier not showing any symptoms at all, but I still know little about feline herpes beyond what to look out for if/when it flares up again. I'm just grateful the others didn't pick it up as well as that would have been nightmare-ish Shocked Every sneeze/cough has me worried now, but they must have some kind of immunity to it.

Ian
Ian B
Ian B
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Teddy Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:44 pm

Carriers rarely show symptoms, doesn't really matter what disease either, so I would reckon it's the blackie.
Teddy
Teddy
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian B Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:25 pm

You're probably right, tbh, if I had to put money on one being the carrier it'd be Tatty Tom, but I guess I'll never find out for sure. That said, with the amount of cats round here it could easily be one of them.

Ian

Ian B
Ian B
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian B Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:02 am

I don't know what happened to Tatty Tom overnight, he was fine when I went to bed but had a poorly paw when I found him on a chair this morning. At first he wasn't putting any weight on it but a chicken wing took his mind off any pain/discomfort as he dashed outside with it.

Ian
Ian B
Ian B
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian B Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:40 pm

I've not seen Tatty Tom since, I hope he's ok or better still, has proved me wrong by having a home and is just being kept in/perhaps been taken to the vets.

'EDIT'

He turned up at 8.25am without the limp and seems fine now Max Herpes flare-up - Page 3 579159

Ian
Ian B
Ian B
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian B Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:25 pm

After his vanishing act he's been the opposite today, hardly wanting to leave the house till 90 minutes ago, the trouble is he *insisted* on being in the same room as Bola, Max or Bosley, who all hate him with a passion. It was hard work stopping things getting beyond the hiss/back off stage tbh, so he had to be shown the door eventually. He could have slept on a chair in the living room, but oh no, he had to push his luck with the others Rolling Eyes

Ian
Ian B
Ian B
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian B Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:11 am

Tatty came in at 2am this morning and despite having a choice of places to get his head down, he *had* to be in the spare bedroom with Bola and Bosley Rolling Eyes and they let the entire road know just how much they dislike him. I had to get up and persuade him downstairs then use a chicken wing to tempt him outside, after which the flap was locked to stop any more confrontations later.

I'm almost sure he's only trying to be friendly towards the others, but they hate him with a passion so no matter how hard he tries, it's not going to work. I still don't get Bolas reaction, for months he completely ignored Tatty inside and out, but now Shocked confused

Ian
Ian B
Ian B
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian B Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:49 am

The little sod has just given me a scare, not a biggie but still Rolling Eyes

He went out late last night as I was busy trying to persuade Bola to come in just before midnight as I intended to lock the flap to stop Tatty coming in and disturbing the peace, but in the end neither would come in so I left them to it. Bola was in when I got up today but no sign of Max, I can't remember the last time this happened, if ever, and worryingly the dry food and trays downstairs hadn't been touched so he'd not been in all night.

Cue me shouting him at 5.15am but still no sign, tho' thankfully 1/2 an hour later he appeared from nowhere........he'll have to wait for brekkie for scaring me like that Laughing

Ian
Ian B
Ian B
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Teddy Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:23 pm

heart stopping monent, he's just keeping you on your toes, bet you fed him though Wink
Teddy
Teddy
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian B Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:37 am

He had to wait for brekkie (tho' it wasn't for long Max Herpes flare-up - Page 3 43453 ) It's just nice to see him back to his old self again, I never want to see him, or any cat, as ill as that again.

Ian
Ian B
Ian B
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian B Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:21 am

He was well enough for a silly o'clock fight downstairs last night, bad enough that I had to get up to try and stop it. His opponent had gone by the time I'd got there so I'm no wiser now, but I didn't recognise the miaowing so it may have been yet another cat chancing it here.

Ian
Ian B
Ian B
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian B Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:50 am

Poor Max, it looks like it's about to flare up again as he's a bit snuffly atm so it'll be back to the vets if it doesn't improve by itself in the next 24 to 48 hours.

'EDIT > a short time later'

Hmmm, he seems fine now with no sniffling whatsoever.

Ian
Ian B
Ian B
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian B Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:14 am

He might have herpes but that didn't stop him being banned from the house for a few hours yesterday, and if he hadn't been quick enough to dodge it, getting a slap for spraying on the side of a chair in the living room Max Herpes flare-up - Page 3 975384 There's a cardboard box leant against this chair as it's been a fav target for Jimmy in the past, but it's a new box so there's no traces of his scent for Max to try and cover with his own.

It's the second time this week I've caught Max doing it and I'm amazed he did it again as even the most deaf/stupid of cats would have realised just how angry I was when I caught him the first time and had the sense to not do it again.

Ian
Ian B
Ian B
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian B Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:09 am

Ian B wrote:He might have herpes but that didn't stop him being banned from the house for a few hours yesterday, and if he hadn't been quick enough to dodge it, getting a slap for spraying on the side of a chair in the living room Max Herpes flare-up - Page 3 975384 There's a cardboard box leant against this chair as it's been a fav target for Jimmy in the past, but it's a new box so there's no traces of his scent for Max to try and cover with his own.

It's the second time this week I've caught Max doing it and I'm amazed he did it again as even the most deaf/stupid of cats would have realised just how angry I was when I caught him the first time and had the sense to not do it again.

Ian
Colour me amazed because he did it again yesterday Shocked Max Herpes flare-up - Page 3 265331 Max Herpes flare-up - Page 3 975384

He came in to use the tray, which was annoying enough, but then stood in the hall tray and set off peeing against the wall. I saw him so was able to stop him before he'd really started and thought that would be it as he dashed into the dining room and on top of his box on the table. A few minutes later I heard a strange rustling sound from in there, went to investigate and found him on a cabinet peeing on two plastic bags which were luckily only full of junk so nothing was spoiled.

He only just escaped being hit by a cushion as he headed or the flap and very wisely kept well out of my way for the next few hours.

Ian
Ian B
Ian B
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian B Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:42 am

Max must have gone off the taste of the Lysine paste as I've now got to grab him and *force feed* him, ie open his jaws and shove said paste as far into his mouth as I can before his jaws clamp down on my finger Max Herpes flare-up - Page 3 43453

Ian
Ian B
Ian B
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content