For The Love of Cats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pet insurance

3 posters

Go down

Pet insurance Empty Pet insurance

Post by heather Sun Jul 06, 2008 7:32 pm

I've never bothered with pet insurance for the cats before, but my dog is insured with Tesco.
I really think that we should insure the cats though, just in case.
I was wondering if an of you guys have insurance, who with, what sort of cover you get and how much it costs?
Any help would be appreciated. I assume that companies would offer a discount if I insured all 4 of my cats with them.

Thanks

Heather
heather
heather

Number of posts : 22
Cat(s): : Sylvester, Matilda, Gizmo and Tootie
Registration date : 2008-07-04

Back to top Go down

Pet insurance Empty Re: Pet insurance

Post by Ian B Sun Jul 06, 2008 7:58 pm

Hi Heather,

Yeah, most, if not all insurers, will offer a discount for more than one cat.

Mine are also with Tesco, relatively cheap at less than £9 (with £75 excess) per month for both, with a £2500 maximum claim. I couldn't recommend them to others tho', as you need to find the money to pay the vet before claiming, not ideal if it's a large bill, and if my (and others) experience is anything to go by when Beckett was being treated for acute kidney failure, they are very slow, and in some cases, reluctant to pay out at all. At the time they claimed the sheer number of claims they were dealing with meant they were approx two months behind in dealing with claims, a load of rubbish imo, all it would have needed was extra staff.

The bill for Beckett before he was PTS, was just short of £800, a tidy sum to find for most people, but I had the money and luckily they settled in my case, albeit slowly. Make sure you carefully read the small print for any policy you go for, I found out too late there were things I assumed would be covered, having Beckett PTS and cremation, plus one or two others, which meant I ended up only being paid just over £570 iirc, and that's a big difference to the amount of my claim.

Someone here, I can't remember who, suggested that instead of paying monthly for insurance, why not simply put that money to one side at home/in the bank? I now do this as well as pay for insurance, this way, if there is going to be a big bill, at least I'll have a certain amount of cash to fall back on for any emergency.

Ian
Ian B
Ian B
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Number of posts : 9110
Cat(s): : Fudge, Bola, Buddy, Max........and several guests
Registration date : 2008-04-06

Back to top Go down

Post by pokbg Sun Jul 06, 2008 8:05 pm

http://www.reviewcentre.com/products366.html has a review of pet insurance... but a lot of them haven't got many reviews... but then again, people normally only bother to do that if they got something to complain about (I know I do... lol!).

We've been with Sainsbury's... but I'm not really gonna be of much help. As we've never had to make a claim, I wouldn't have a clue if they are actually good or not when it comes to the goal post.

And certianly due to Ians (and other horror stories heared) I would definately steer away from Tescos personally. Best of luck finding something that will give you the cover you need... within a reasonable price!
pokbg
pokbg
Cat-mad!
Cat-mad!

Number of posts : 4533
Cat(s): : Pok m/4, BG f/2
Registration date : 2008-04-07

https://love4cats.darkbb.com/portal.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content