For The Love of Cats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Percy's new outdoors life

+3
Gilly
Teddy
Laura
7 posters

Go down

Percy's new outdoors life Empty Percy's new outdoors life

Post by Laura Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:17 pm

Well, I must say Percy is certainly enjoying his jaunts around the neighbourhood. He's free to come and go during the day but I keep him in at night, is this what most people do?

When he used to escape a year or so ago he would be gone for hours and getting him in was a nightmare so I worried that letting him out when he wants would result in me never seeing him but that isn't the case. Infact he checks in about every hour and spends more time sleeping in than out.

Driving home late at night recently Simon and I saw a pair of cats eyes by the kerb and I said "I hope that isn't Percy". When I got out of the car Percy came running over. I thought I'd freak out seeing him on the road but I actually was very accepting of it. I'm not being cruel, it's just that if you let them out you have no control of where they go, do you!

I've got to say he seems much more relaxed. He used to mieow in the garden and scratch everything. Luckily both things have stopped.
Laura
Laura
Champion Cat!
Champion Cat!

Number of posts : 802
Cat(s): : Percy
Registration date : 2008-04-06

Back to top Go down

Percy's new outdoors life Empty Re: Percy's new outdoors life

Post by Teddy Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:21 pm

He sounds a contented cat Laura, I keep my two in at night, Moto would go out given half a chance but occasionally when he doesn't come in, he ALWAYS ends up fighting about 2am, all I hear is screeching and wailing. LOL
Teddy
Teddy
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Number of posts : 10805
Cat(s): : Moto & Sophie

Back to top Go down

Post by Laura Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:43 pm

I've read it's very dangerous to keep cats out at night but to be honest I'm sure it's actually safer. I would think it's most dangerous about now (7.30pm) cars are racing up our hill and there are lots of people around, a total contrast to the middle of the night. However, I'm sure I keep Percy in for purely selfish reasons, I wouldn't be able to sleep knowing he was out.
Laura
Laura
Champion Cat!
Champion Cat!

Back to top Go down

Post by Gilly Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:20 pm

I've always kept my cats in at night but allowed them as much freedom as they want during the day. The only exception is in the spring when the birds are breeding and feeding young - I'd keep my furballs in until about 8.30am so the baby birds were all fed and back up safe in the trees Percy's new outdoors life 579159
Gilly
Gilly
Cat-mad!
Cat-mad!

Number of posts : 2024
Cat(s): : Thomas, Misty & Tiger Lily
Registration date : 2008-04-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Laura Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:27 pm

Gilly wrote:I've always kept my cats in at night but allowed them as much freedom as they want during the day. The only exception is in the spring when the birds are breeding and feeding young - I'd keep my furballs in until about 8.30am so the baby birds were all fed and back up safe in the trees Percy's new outdoors life 579159

Good tip, Gilly. I'll remember that. Thanks.
Laura
Laura
Champion Cat!
Champion Cat!

Back to top Go down

Post by maddymoo Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:34 pm

Haha, luckily my big girl is too well big to catch the birdies! But yes she is brought in at night and as soon as it gets dark in the case of firework season.

Sounds like he's a very happy Percy-pants!
maddymoo
maddymoo
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Number of posts : 5888
Cat(s): : Maddison and Bramble

Back to top Go down

Post by Gilly Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:19 am

Laura wrote:

Good tip, Gilly. I'll remember that. Thanks.

It also stops rabid birdwatchers screaming abuse and blaming all the ills of the world on your cat!

I'm a birdwatcher who also loves cats so see it from both sides Rolling Eyes You wouldn't believe the arguments I've had with some bigoted birders on my nature site - they just hate cats full stop and won't see that it's not cats that are destroying our birdlife, it's farming practices/changes in crops/gardens being paved over and becoming more sterile etc Rolling Eyes They just don't realise that not every cat is a hunter Percy's new outdoors life 975384

God knows what they'd say if they'd seen Diva catch a rabbit last week!!! Shocked They'd probably want both me AND her burnt at the stick as satan's followers Percy's new outdoors life 43453 Even though Diva probably did the poor rabbit a favour by putting it out of it's misery as the poor wee mite had seriously bad myxie Crying or Very sad
Gilly
Gilly
Cat-mad!
Cat-mad!

Number of posts : 2024
Cat(s): : Thomas, Misty & Tiger Lily
Registration date : 2008-04-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Teddy Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:58 am

Laura wrote:I've read it's very dangerous to keep cats out at night but to be honest I'm sure it's actually safer. I would think it's most dangerous about now (7.30pm) cars are racing up our hill and there are lots of people around, a total contrast to the middle of the night. However, I'm sure I keep Percy in for purely selfish reasons, I wouldn't be able to sleep knowing he was out.

That's what I think too Laura, but I think it's because during the night the cars are sporadic and cats stray onto the road, where drivers can't see them, at least when it's busy the cats are MEANT to stay away from the road because of all the traffic. Probably a load of pants but there ye go. LOL
Teddy
Teddy
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Number of posts : 10805
Cat(s): : Moto & Sophie

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian B Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:10 am

Teddy wrote:
Laura wrote:I've read it's very dangerous to keep cats out at night but to be honest I'm sure it's actually safer. I would think it's most dangerous about now (7.30pm) cars are racing up our hill and there are lots of people around, a total contrast to the middle of the night. However, I'm sure I keep Percy in for purely selfish reasons, I wouldn't be able to sleep knowing he was out.

That's what I think too Laura, but I think it's because during the night the cars are sporadic and cats stray onto the road, where drivers can't see them, at least when it's busy the cats are MEANT to stay away from the road because of all the traffic. Probably a load of pants but there ye go. LOL
In some places it's now *illegal* to let your cat out at night, at least there were suggestions that certain councils planned to do this a while back.

I'm not happy when mine stay out at night, not least because Bola is black, but as has been said, there is little traffic then so there *should* be less risk of them being hit by a car or bike. 9 times out of 10 they choose to stay in, or don't stay out all night, but Fudge is the only one I have no worries over as she very rarely strays beyond my garden.

Ian
Ian B
Ian B
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Number of posts : 9110
Cat(s): : Fudge, Bola, Buddy, Max........and several guests

Back to top Go down

Post by *Prince* Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:59 am

Sounds like Sir Percival is a lot happier Laura. Bless his wee socks. We dont "keep" Princey Boy in at night, his cat flap stays open, but unless its in the summer long light nights, he stays in of his own accord (they aint daft are they!)
*Prince*
*Prince*
Cat-mad!
Cat-mad!

Number of posts : 3971
Cat(s): : Prince
Registration date : 2008-04-24

Back to top Go down

Post by maddymoo Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:30 pm

Ian B wrote:
Teddy wrote:

In some places it's now *illegal* to let your cat out at night, at least there were suggestions that certain councils planned to do this a while back.

I'm not happy when mine stay out at night, not least because Bola is black, but as has been said, there is little traffic then so there *should* be less risk of them being hit by a car or bike. 9 times out of 10 they choose to stay in, or don't stay out all night, but Fudge is the only one I have no worries over as she very rarely strays beyond my garden.

Ian

I always thought that besides of course our cats not being as visable in the dark, that it was also that at night they roam further?
maddymoo
maddymoo
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Number of posts : 5888
Cat(s): : Maddison and Bramble

Back to top Go down

Post by pokbg Wed Nov 05, 2008 6:00 pm

Laura wrote:Well, I must say Percy is certainly enjoying his jaunts around the neighbourhood. He's free to come and go during the day but I keep him in at night, is this what most people do?
When we lived at the house Pok decided when he wanted to come and go... even at night.... it was easier that way! lol! So, even if it was in the middle of the night, and he wanted to go out, we let him... much better then loosing a whole nights sleep with him doing whatever he could to be naughty. lol! And he normally woke us at about 7 to be let in (by howling underneath our window). BG we always kept in at night... she's just a tiny little princess, and tiny little princesses don't stay out all night (in my mind that is... as I'm still refusing to recognise BG as anything but a tiny little princess).

When we go to the house now, Pok stays in most of the nights. He doesn't complain when we don't let him out at night. He asks to be let out as we go to bed, but he'll just lay down to sleep if we don't comply to his wishes. However if I get up during the night, he won't take no for an answer.

I'm happy to hear that Percy is enjoying it so much, and that you're ok with it!
pokbg
pokbg
Cat-mad!
Cat-mad!

Number of posts : 4533
Cat(s): : Pok m/4, BG f/2
Registration date : 2008-04-07

https://love4cats.darkbb.com/portal.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content