For The Love of Cats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Flaky skin

3 posters

Go down

Flaky skin Empty Flaky skin

Post by Ian B Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:06 pm

I noticed Bola had a patch of dry, flaky skin near his tail earlier today and when I looked closer there was more, but only on his spine, there wasn't a sign of this anywhere else confused My first thought was fleas and he was getting due for his (hopefully final this year) Frontline treatment, so I brought that forward by a couple of days.

I can't see it being fleas, not least because he's frontlined and I've never even seen a flea on him, but even if it was, they wouldn't just bite his spinal area would they? A good brush seems to have removed most of the flaky skin, so has anyone seen anything similar/got suggestions as to the cause?

Ian
Ian B
Ian B
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Number of posts : 9110
Cat(s): : Fudge, Bola, Buddy, Max........and several guests
Registration date : 2008-04-06

Back to top Go down

Flaky skin Empty Re: Flaky skin

Post by maddymoo Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:43 pm

I really don't know Ian beyond possible ringworm (but I think that would cause hair loss), dandruff, or possible diet? Perhaps he needs more moisture in his food? I don't have a clue, Mads has dandruff, but its more of an all over thing... I'll be keeping an eye on this thread as I'm curious to know what it is too. Good luck and I hope its nothing serious at all.
maddymoo
maddymoo
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Number of posts : 5888
Cat(s): : Maddison and Bramble

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian B Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:55 am

Hi Helen,

He must eat 60%/40% > wet/dry and drinks well enough, so I can't see it being a lack of moisture in his diet. Whatever it is/was, it's strange that it was just a half inch wide *strip* down his spine and nowhere else, so I don't think it's dandruff and I'm pretty sure it isn't ringworm either.

If it happens again I'll have a word with my vets.

Ian
Ian B
Ian B
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Teddy Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:33 am

Sounds like dandruff Ian, not sure if you're meant to shampoo them for that or just groom them. Sam occasionally had it but nothing to worry about, it's fairly common but much more noticable on dark cats.
Teddy
Teddy
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Number of posts : 10805
Cat(s): : Moto & Sophie

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian B Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:37 am

Hi Kath,

Yeah, if it was everywhere on him I'd be more worried, hopefully it's just a one off mystery.

Ian
Ian B
Ian B
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content