For The Love of Cats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ginger Tom > skin problem?

4 posters

Go down

Ginger Tom > skin problem? Empty Ginger Tom > skin problem?

Post by Ian B Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:20 pm

Hi All,

I've mentioned before GT has a fair amount of old scabs/sores on his body. They aren't big and are probably a bad reaction to flea bites, tho' I've yet to see a flea on him in the 7 months he's been here.

Anyhow, yesterday I noticed a wet patch, about the size of a 10p piece on his upper back. I just thought he'd had a damn good wash and thought no more about it, but it's there again today, in exactly the same place and when I checked, it was almost as tho' it was some sort of discharge. His skin felt wet as well as the fur, but there are no sores or scabs there confused The area isn't painful, he didn't mind my touching him there one bit.

Any suggestions as to what this might be?

Ian
Ian B
Ian B
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Number of posts : 9110
Cat(s): : Fudge, Bola, Buddy, Max........and several guests
Registration date : 2008-04-06

Back to top Go down

Ginger Tom > skin problem? Empty Re: Ginger Tom > skin problem?

Post by pokbg Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:32 pm

Without doing a google here... flea bites sounds like what it might be... the patch on his back, is is accessable for him to clean? If so, it could be him overgrooming a flea bite.

Pok has a nasty reaction to fleas. He's never had them, but one day I noticed his lovely belly covered in scabs, some scabby, others pink wet patches... the vet explained that he is highly allergic to flea bites, and even though he didn't have fleas, they were biting him when he was outside in the grass. The wet looking ones were due to him overly cleaning the bites...
pokbg
pokbg
Cat-mad!
Cat-mad!

Number of posts : 4533
Cat(s): : Pok m/4, BG f/2
Registration date : 2008-04-07

https://love4cats.darkbb.com/portal.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by maddymoo Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:33 pm

I have no idea what so ever Ian. Sorry I know thats not terribly helpful. Um, could you maybe try and clean the area with perhaps a baby wipe and maybe when cleaning you may get a better look. There could be an area of inflammation and the wetness is the white blood cells reacting and seeping through the skin? Just a guess, I have no idea. I know the problems of getting him into the vets especially if he may be someone elses cat, but could you maybe call them and speak to either a vet or a nurse and ask for some advice over the phone?
maddymoo
maddymoo
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Number of posts : 5888
Cat(s): : Maddison and Bramble

Back to top Go down

Post by *Prince* Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:13 am

Princey has a terrible allergic reaction to flea bites, and gets sore/scabby bits, but these are generally contained to the base of his back, near his tail, and he will over-groom this area, but I have to say, Ive never noticed any particular wet patch, apart from obvious over-grooming, where you can see "the lick" mark.
So, not sure whether this is what GT has or not? Hmm...
Also, Princey makes it quite clear it is sore/uncomfortable in that area, and wont let you "give him good strokes".
*Prince*
*Prince*
Cat-mad!
Cat-mad!

Number of posts : 3971
Cat(s): : Prince
Registration date : 2008-04-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian B Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:08 am

pokbg wrote:Without doing a google here... flea bites sounds like what it might be... the patch on his back, is is accessable for him to clean? If so, it could be him overgrooming a flea bite.
Hi pokbg,

It's possible he's reached it to lick........just, but he'd have to be very determined.

Pok has a nasty reaction to fleas. He's never had them, but one day I noticed his lovely belly covered in scabs, some scabby, others pink wet patches... the vet explained that he is highly allergic to flea bites, and even though he didn't have fleas, they were biting him when he was outside in the grass. The wet looking ones were due to him overly cleaning the bites...
What did the vet suggest, beyond the obvious flea treatment?..............tho' I can't see how this will help if he doesn't actually have fleas on him.

maddymoo wrote:I know the problems of getting him into the vets especially if he may be someone elses cat, but could you maybe call them and speak to either a vet or a nurse and ask for some advice over the phone?
Hi Helen,

It's not just that he's not *my* cat, without getting something from the vet to knock him out the chances of my getting him into the carrier are less than zero. I'll be giving them a call to see what they can suggest.

Prince wrote:Princey has a terrible allergic reaction to flea bites, and gets sore/scabby bits, but these are generally contained to the base of his back, near his tail, and he will over-groom this area, but I have to say, Ive never noticed any particular wet patch, apart from obvious over-grooming, where you can see "the lick" mark.
So, not sure whether this is what GT has or not? Hmm...
Also, Princey makes it quite clear it is sore/uncomfortable in that area, and wont let you "give him good strokes".
Hi Prince,

Most of the scabs are in that area with GT, but as I said, he doesn't mind being stroked there.

Ian
Ian B
Ian B
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by pokbg Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:43 am

Ian B wrote:What did the vet suggest, beyond the obvious flea treatment?..............tho' I can't see how this will help if he doesn't actually have fleas on him.
Vet gave him a shot of antibiotics (just incase... not that he needed it... more like to get more dosh in his pocket then for Poks sake), and some extremely expensive flea treatment (cost over £60 together... and he had the guts to tell us Pok should get the same flea treatment 2 times a year!!)... but I think any old flea treatment will work (from the supermarket), as it's basically poision, and the fleas don't want to bit a skin full of it. Luckily Pok hasn't ever had it again, so I think it was just that our lawn must have been riddled with them at that point of time. I do however keep a close eye on his skin now that he's allowed outside again... but he's fine, and hasn't had any flea/worn treatment for a year now.
pokbg
pokbg
Cat-mad!
Cat-mad!

Number of posts : 4533
Cat(s): : Pok m/4, BG f/2
Registration date : 2008-04-07

https://love4cats.darkbb.com/portal.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian B Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:58 am

Hi pokbg,

I'll try and pick some up today while I'm out, tho' I think I'll only be able to get that rubbish Bob Martin flea treatment locally, but I suppose it's better than nothing while I get something better.................assuming GT comes *home* today. It's horrible and wet atm, and by the look of things was all night, but it didn't stop him going out last night at 11pm and I haven't seen him since.

Ian
Ian B
Ian B
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by maddymoo Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:24 pm

I don't know if this helps, but you can get something which looks like a push up deodrant stick of something which calms and soothes the skin (goes on a funny colour and then changes to an even funnier colour..) and has a bitter taste to stop them licking the area I can't for the life in me remember the name of it (as you can tell from the dodgey description LOL), but I remember getting it from pets@home for my sisters cat Sickie that has OCD and pulls patches of hair out. She really went for it at one point and her excessive grooming made the skin sore.

Hopefully if he's out and gets wet in the rain, it may wash the area down and could soothe it? It worth a hope. lol. I'm sure he'll be home soon. I didn't mean to say he wasn't *your* cat, as to all intensive purposes he is, and he is home as your the one who looks after him, and if he does have another 'home' out there, they can't be that bothered about him. I hope I didn't cause any offense anyway, as there was non intended, I'm just crap with saying what I mean sometimes... well... alot of the time actually! LOL
maddymoo
maddymoo
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian B Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:31 pm

Hi Helen,

He isn't my cat, I just supply bed and breakfast (and the odd lap to sleep on, with a chin and belly rub when he's in the mood) He's still not shown up today so far, but he'll be back when his tummy starts rumbling.

I'll have a google later to see if I can find the name of the *stick* you mentioned.

Ian
Ian B
Ian B
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by maddymoo Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:36 pm

Ian B wrote:

I'll have a google later to see if I can find the name of the *stick* you mentioned.

If it helps, I know its not Rightguard! LOL
maddymoo
maddymoo
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by maddymoo Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:46 pm

Found it! LOL! http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2752809
maddymoo
maddymoo
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian B Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:39 pm

maddymoo wrote:Found it! LOL! http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2752809
Hi Helen,

Thanks for the link Very Happy but isn't that a US based site? it seems a bit excessive to have to import it.

I've found these treatments and I think I'll order a couple from here http://www.pet-supermarket.co.uk/erol.html?gclid=CL7YyvDM45YCFQuT1QodfGtMPA#8542X0 .................that is for if he ever comes back, he must have known I was going to get some flea treatment for him today Laughing

Ian
Ian B
Ian B
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by maddymoo Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:12 am

LOL! for some reason that was the first place I found it, just put the link up for a piccy of it...

That pet-supermarket looks great! I've ordered food from there before and it arrived fairly quickly and those prices are good. Good luck with the flea treatment! I know Boo screams blue murder when we do hers Laughing
maddymoo
maddymoo
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down