For The Love of Cats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Blooming eck

+3
Teddy
*Prince*
littlekitty
7 posters

Go down

Blooming eck Empty Blooming eck

Post by littlekitty Thu May 15, 2008 12:06 pm

I just got the fright of my life. I was sitting have a cuppa when I heard the catflap go and thought one of the kits had gone out or come in. Then I heard a miaow and thought it was Bud, this is what he does when he comes in, I looked around and found a completely diffrent cat in my kitchen, I got up to "chase it out", but as soon as it had seen me it was out the catflap again, like lightening. I managed to get it out of my garden. The cat belongs to the woman opposite me and it usually sits the other side of my gate, looking underneath it as Mary won't let it in. The other night I heard a cat meoing and looked out my bedroom window and saw the same cat sitting by my door trying to get in. Well it has finally done that and has now started eating my cat's food. I'll be keeping a close eye on who's coming through my catflap now.
What can I do? I don't speak to the woman that owns the cat, she's a bit stuck up, I don't want to start locking the catflap, as my cat's have the run of the house but I really don't want this cat in my house, as it fights with Mary whenever it sees her, and it is also Buddy's other lover Blooming eck 43453 as he sits with her all the time. I go out quite alot and now will wonder if the other cat is in my house when I'm out, and start fighting with Mary or do other damage in the house.
littlekitty
littlekitty
Cat-mad!
Cat-mad!

Number of posts : 2788
Cat(s): : Buddy and Mary
Registration date : 2008-04-06

http://www.cats2crafts.com

Back to top Go down

Blooming eck Empty Re: Blooming eck

Post by *Prince* Thu May 15, 2008 12:09 pm

We ended up having to get a magnetic cat flap, to deter a cat that kept coming in and terrorising Prince and eating his food! It is just a pain that poor Prince has to wear a collar with the magnet on it all the time, but it certainly stopped the problem.
*Prince*
*Prince*
Cat-mad!
Cat-mad!

Number of posts : 3971
Cat(s): : Prince
Registration date : 2008-04-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Teddy Thu May 15, 2008 12:22 pm

Either what Nicki suggests Lynn or one that is activated with their microchips, they're really expensive though. Is their food left beside the cat flap because the smell may intice the cat in. We had this problem before as well, and as we were out all day and Sam never wore a collar we kinda just put up with it, funny thing was when Sam was PTS, little Felix stopped coming in.
Teddy
Teddy
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Number of posts : 10805
Cat(s): : Moto & Sophie

Back to top Go down

Post by pokbg Thu May 15, 2008 2:01 pm

Uh-oh... let's hope the word don't go around... as you'll then have the whole kitchen full of the neighbours kitties "free food for all"... lol!

Yes, one of those magnetic ones works well... as long as Buddy and Mary don't have the habit of loosing their collars. They're not too pricy either, and as you already got a cat-flap it should be relatively easy to install (hah! I changed a cat flap for someone once... and the new one was a lot larger then the old one, so I had to use a jigsaw to get the hole bigger... aaaargh!).
pokbg
pokbg
Cat-mad!
Cat-mad!

Number of posts : 4533
Cat(s): : Pok m/4, BG f/2
Registration date : 2008-04-07

https://love4cats.darkbb.com/portal.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by maddymoo Thu May 15, 2008 9:22 pm

I can't help as don't have a cat flap, but I can advise to stop using the same food as Ian! LOL
maddymoo
maddymoo
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Number of posts : 5888
Cat(s): : Maddison and Bramble

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian B Thu May 15, 2008 9:57 pm

First thing I'd do (have done myself at one point) is change where your cats are fed, this cat may be cheeky coming in, but it's unlikely it'd be brave enough to go searching for food. At least it'd give you a bit of time to find a way to stop it.

God alone knows how many visitors I get while I'm out, but then I do tend to feed them when they call now. There's only one cat who steals food that I want to stop, but in the 2 or so years I've had the flap, I've yet to find a way. I really need to as he bullies my lot away from food if they're there when he comes in.

He's been sprayed with ice cold water, had cupfulls chucked over him, generally scared witless by my shouting and chasing him out, but still he calls round. Even worse, in the past few months he's ventured beyond the kitchen, luckily he doesn't spray, but he's a 100% nuisance.

Ian
Ian B
Ian B
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Number of posts : 9110
Cat(s): : Fudge, Bola, Buddy, Max........and several guests

Back to top Go down

Post by Teddy Thu May 15, 2008 10:14 pm

He's been sprayed with ice cold water, had cupfulls chucked over him, generally scared witless by my shouting and chasing him out,
Ian[/quote]

Blooming eck 72767 Blooming eck 72767 Oh that's made me laugh, I think you and steve would get on well. Blooming eck 72767
Teddy
Teddy
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by nicola Thu May 15, 2008 10:20 pm

I'd do as Nicki said ether that or you may end up with a house full of cats coming in for food just like Ian lol Blooming eck 43453

nicola
Cat-mad!
Cat-mad!

Number of posts : 1467
Cat(s): : yes.

Back to top Go down

Post by littlekitty Thu May 15, 2008 10:24 pm

pokbg wrote:Uh-oh... let's hope the word don't go around... as you'll then have the whole kitchen full of the neighbours kitties "free food for all"... lol!

Yes, one of those magnetic ones works well... as long as Buddy and Mary don't have the habit of loosing their collars. They're not too pricy either, and as you already got a cat-flap it should be relatively easy to install (hah! I changed a cat flap for someone once... and the new one was a lot larger then the old one, so I had to use a jigsaw to get the hole bigger... aaaargh!).

We are going to get a magnetic cat flap tomorrow hopefully, our visitor tried to get in earlier on, we heard the flap being lifted and as OH was in the kitchen he noticed it was the other cat. Needless to say it didn't get in this time, but will probably try to get in later when we are in bed. Hope the magnetic flap keeps the little sod out.
Luckily there are only four cats on our estate, my two, our visitor and another one called Whisky, who we see once a year, if we're lucky. The rest all have dogs, I think there are about nine on our estate.
littlekitty
littlekitty
Cat-mad!
Cat-mad!

Back to top Go down

Post by nicola Thu May 15, 2008 10:28 pm

LOL you got to give him credit for keeping on trying to get in, lol.

nicola
Cat-mad!
Cat-mad!

Number of posts : 1467
Cat(s): : yes.

Back to top Go down

Post by Teddy Thu May 15, 2008 10:29 pm

Blooming eck 43453 as Nicola said, give him credit, oh he's a determined little sod.
Teddy
Teddy
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by littlekitty Fri May 16, 2008 8:50 pm

Well we have now got a magnetic catflap, and Mary is having difficulty in figuring it out. Buddy just stuck his head through and it opened for him, but Mary saw Buddy get in and tried to get in using her feet to scratch it open.This is how she opened the original flap.I ended up opening it for. She doesn't realise that she has to put her head near it to open. Now I'm worried that she won't be able to get back inside tonight if she goes out. How can I get her to understand how it works?
As for our visitor it hasn't been back yet, bloody typical I pay for a new flap and thenthe cat doesn't show up. Blooming eck 265331
littlekitty
littlekitty
Cat-mad!
Cat-mad!

Back to top Go down

Post by *Prince* Fri May 16, 2008 10:46 pm

Dont worry too much Lynne, as it took our "not the brightest crayon in the box" Princey, a wee while to suss it out - we had to show him a few times too! Blooming eck 43453
*Prince*
*Prince*
Cat-mad!
Cat-mad!

Number of posts : 3971
Cat(s): : Prince
Registration date : 2008-04-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Teddy Fri May 16, 2008 10:57 pm

Bloody cats eh? wait and see Lynn he wont come back. LOL My two always use their paws to open the flap, so I hope you're able to get Mary to figure it out, course you will she's female, not daft. Blooming eck 43453
Teddy
Teddy
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by pokbg Fri May 16, 2008 11:08 pm

Bless! I'm sure she'll get the hang of it soon. She'll probably try with her head when she realises pushing it with the paws doesn't work. Fingers crossed!
pokbg
pokbg
Cat-mad!
Cat-mad!

Number of posts : 4533
Cat(s): : Pok m/4, BG f/2
Registration date : 2008-04-07

https://love4cats.darkbb.com/portal.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by littlekitty Fri May 16, 2008 11:13 pm

Well Mary has just come in through the flap after trying three times. Buddy couldn't figure it out this time, so hoping that they get used to it soon.
Our visitor has just been and tried to get in and discover the flap won't open and has now gone away, it's sure to try again later, I'm just glad that I can now leave the cat's food down without intruders coming in. I will be alot happier when the kitties finally start using the flap properly. I'm now expecting to be running up and down stairs all night to let them both in. Laughing
littlekitty
littlekitty
Cat-mad!
Cat-mad!

Back to top Go down

Post by Teddy Fri May 16, 2008 11:19 pm

Don't panic Lynn they'll be fine, it will take a couple of tries but it will just be like the first time they tried to use an ordinary catflap, god my lot struggled. LOL Good luck for tonight. Blooming eck 43453
Teddy
Teddy
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by maddymoo Fri May 16, 2008 11:20 pm

They will get used to it. Trial and error and watching each other are great learning tools! LOL
maddymoo
maddymoo
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Number of posts : 5888
Cat(s): : Maddison and Bramble

Back to top Go down

Post by littlekitty Mon May 19, 2008 10:34 am

They have now just about got the hang of the flap now, the problem is that when Mary comes in it doesn't seem to shut properly after she's got through, but it does with Buddy. I have to keep checking that it is shut, but I can't always be there to check it's shut, the whole point of the magnetic flap was to keep the other cat out, I don't see the point really if Mary isn't closing it properly.
littlekitty
littlekitty
Cat-mad!
Cat-mad!

Back to top Go down

Post by Teddy Mon May 19, 2008 11:12 am

I winder if it's the way Mary uses it that's causing the problem. When Sophie uses the flap she's in and out so fast, but Moto, gingerly steps in and out and uses his tail to gently shut the flap, I think that's because it kept lashing back on to his tail. Watch how Mary goes in and out, if her tail is stopping the flap closing properly at least you'll know what the problem is, how to sort that out, I wouldnt have a clue. LOL
Teddy
Teddy
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down