For The Love of Cats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Friend's new cat

4 posters

Go down

Friend's new cat Empty Friend's new cat

Post by Ali Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:59 pm

Hi All, my friend asked me earlier how long she should keep her newly fostered cat in but her dad wants the cat to go outside to 'do his business'. Friend is worried about letting cat out too soon as she's only had him 2 days and she wants to make sure he settles in from moving from his old home and family before she starts letting him out. Please can you advise? Thanks
Ali
Ali
Cat-mad!
Cat-mad!

Number of posts : 1236
Cat(s): : Isis
Registration date : 2008-04-07

http://AliJones.myarbonne.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Friend's new cat Empty Re: Friend's new cat

Post by Ian B Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:29 am

Hi Ali.

I think two weeks minimum of *house arrest* is recommended before giving them total freedom, tho' a lot will depend on the cat. A confident one will likely want to wander/explore while a shy/nervous one will probably want to stay nearby. Some form of ID is a must in this situation imo, just in case.

If there's someone at home all day with your friends cat, the ideal solution would be for them to take him outside the moment he starts looking for a toilet area inside and stay with/nearby him till he's finished.

All that said, I've never taken on a adult stranger so I may be way out, barring the 36 hours Pablo was here with me while I decided if he'd fit in with my lot. He escaped inside 24 hours but found his way back into the house while I was out looking for him, and this was in a completely new area to him.

Ian

Last edited by Ian B on Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Ian B
Ian B
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Number of posts : 9110
Cat(s): : Fudge, Bola, Buddy, Max........and several guests
Registration date : 2008-04-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Teddy Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:48 am

We were always told 3 weeks Ali, but as Ian said it does depend on the cat, but 2 days is not nearly long enough, the cat has to find his way arouind the inside of the house and feel settled so expecting him to go out do the toilet and then come back is maybe a tad too much.
Teddy
Teddy
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Number of posts : 10805
Cat(s): : Moto & Sophie

Back to top Go down

Post by Jojolabanane Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:57 pm

When we got Malo, we were told by the vets that we would need to keep him in 2 or 3 weeks and in that time we had him 'done'. He had been feral and I suppose that would have had a bearing too. It might be different if the cat you are talking about has already been neutered but I am sure a couple of days is too soon.

Joanne
Jojolabanane
Jojolabanane
Champion Cat!
Champion Cat!

Number of posts : 604
Cat(s): : Bonnie and Malo
Registration date : 2010-06-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Ali Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:34 pm

Thanks all, I told my friend to keep him in for 2-3 weeks but then she told me her dad let the cat out!! The cat came back tho and was OK but she's going to keep him in to get him used to the house and his surroundings whether her dad likes it or not!
Ali
Ali
Cat-mad!
Cat-mad!

Number of posts : 1236
Cat(s): : Isis
Registration date : 2008-04-07

http://AliJones.myarbonne.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian B Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:53 pm

Lucky he didn't wander far Ali, tho' hopefully that's a sign that he won't even when he gets his freedom.

Ian
Ian B
Ian B
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Number of posts : 9110
Cat(s): : Fudge, Bola, Buddy, Max........and several guests

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content