For The Love of Cats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ginger tom, what to do?

5 posters

Go down

Ginger tom, what to do? Empty Ginger tom, what to do?

Post by Ian B Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:24 pm

Hi All,

The old fella has got a poorly right eye atm.

I noticed something wasn't quite right on Saturday morning, and it's got worse since. It's not closed, but it's closing, and there's a distinct swelling right next to his eye with a bit of blood in his fur (it looks like an abscess to me)

It's not bothering him, he's happy enough and has just polished his dinner off then finished Bolas, but it looks a bit of a mess. I haven't a clue where he really lives, nor has anyone I've asked, it could be anywhere as I see him all over the estate where I live.

I can't afford to get too involved, ie the vets, especially if he has a home, but I don't want to see him suffer.

Ian
Ian B
Ian B
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Number of posts : 9110
Cat(s): : Fudge, Bola, Buddy, Max........and several guests
Registration date : 2008-04-06

Back to top Go down

Ginger tom, what to do? Empty Re: Ginger tom, what to do?

Post by maddymoo Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:28 pm

Poor tom cat. I don't know what to suggest.... except is there a PDSA near you that you could call and ask them? Or could you try the paper collar thing again, stating that you are concerned about his eye and for the owners to give you a call? I bet it is painful and he's just not showing it as he's got a bit of street savey and doesn't want to show signs of weakness.
maddymoo
maddymoo
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Number of posts : 5888
Cat(s): : Maddison and Bramble

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian B Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:37 pm

Hi Helen,

There is a 'local' PDSA, but they are utterly useless. I asked for advice about another stray cat some months ago but they never got back to me.

I'd try a paper collar, but while he's happy enough to let me stroke him, he took offence big time when I tried to pick him up recently, and I'd imagine he'd do the same if I tried to hold him still while I attached the paper collar.

If he does have owners, they can't have failed to notice his eye. I'll try asking around again, surely someone will know if he has a proper home.

Ian
Ian B
Ian B
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by *Prince* Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:41 pm

Gosh Ian, I dont know what else to suggest either. But that sounds nasty, and that it needs attended to, one way or another. Can you not try the PDSA again? Poor old Ginge'. xx
*Prince*
*Prince*
Cat-mad!
Cat-mad!

Number of posts : 3971
Cat(s): : Prince
Registration date : 2008-04-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Teddy Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:54 pm

I would try the collar if you can Ian, sometimes with an abcess, if it's just about to burst, try and press it, I know you said he isn't too keen on being held, but try and just press the swelling, he'll probably take your hand off, but oh these th are sent to try us. LOLings
Teddy
Teddy
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Number of posts : 10805
Cat(s): : Moto & Sophie

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian B Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:53 am

Hi All,

I'm glad to say the swelling has gone down, it's still there, but not as bad, tho' his eye still looks a bit sore. If it was a abscess, maybe the blood I saw on his fur were the first signs of it bursting of it's own accord, at least I hope so.

As for the paper collar idea, it's a no-no. To give you some idea of how nervous he still is, even tho' he'll let me stroke him, but he was having breakfast in the kitchen earlier when he saw me pick a cloth up to wipe up a *suspicious* looking wet patch on the floor. As soon as I walked towards him holding this cloth, he was off thro' the flap, so the idea of him letting me put something strange round his neck will almost certainly panic him.

Ian
Ian B
Ian B
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Teddy Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:13 am

Poor thing, hopefully the abscess will be draining on it's own accord. At least he's still eating, when Sam had an abscess, he was quite ill and didn't eat, that's how we knew something was wrong, it was the vet that found the it. There's not much you can do with him Ian, but you're feeding him and he knows where to come if he needs shelter, that's a lot more than some cats get.
Teddy
Teddy
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian B Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:26 pm

Hi Kath,

I suspect he's as tough as old boots, and it will probably take more than a abscess to floor him. I'll be keeping a close *eye* on him (no pun intended) tho'.

Ian
Ian B
Ian B
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian B Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:45 am

Hi All,

His eye is getting better now, it's still a tad swollen, but not as angry looking.

He obviously feels fine, he ate his breakfast without giving Dexter a second glance (yes, he'd stayed all night again) but as soon as he'd finished he chased poor Dexter upstairs and I had to seperate them Evil or Very Mad

I'm starting to think Dexter deliberately provokes Ginger, he's got all the house to roam in, but when Ginger is here, Dexter seems to want to just sit there and peep at him from a *safe* distance, but still within open sight of Ginger.

Ian
Ian B
Ian B
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Teddy Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:52 am

ROFL, that reminds me of my sister, when we were little she used to give me the *evil eye*, basically she sat there not saying anything just constantly looking at me, used to drive me nuts. She only did it to provoke me, which it did, so I can sympathise with Ginger, cos if that is Dexters plan, he's one evil cat. Ginger tom, what to do? 72767
Teddy
Teddy
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by pokbg Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:33 pm

So happy to hear his eye is getting better!

Goodness me... it's so horrible though isn't it... we worry so much about our own cats, and still we take on the worry of others as well! lol!
pokbg
pokbg
Cat-mad!
Cat-mad!

Number of posts : 4533
Cat(s): : Pok m/4, BG f/2
Registration date : 2008-04-07

https://love4cats.darkbb.com/portal.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down