For The Love of Cats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SAVLON!!!!! PLEASE READ!!!!

+5
Laura
Teddy
*Prince*
maddymoo
Gilly
9 posters

Go down

SAVLON!!!!!  PLEASE READ!!!! Empty SAVLON!!!!! PLEASE READ!!!!

Post by Gilly Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:20 pm

I've just seen this on a doggy site and was shocked to bits as I'd never knew about this!!!

Don't know if you know this but just found out today that Savlon anti bacterial spay can kill cats
apparantly if you use it on surfaces and a cat walks over it, then the cat can absorb it through its pads

Evidently the person contacted the makers, and they confirmed it, but I don't think there's a warning on the container.

as far as i know there is no warnings on the bottles...it was the micro chip tutor who found this out and after finaly contacting the makers bio lab they said yes it can kill cats

Shocked Shocked Shocked pale pale pale

I don't have any in the house but from now on I'll certainly be looking at all labels VERY carefully before I buy anything in future!
Gilly
Gilly
Cat-mad!
Cat-mad!

Number of posts : 2024
Cat(s): : Thomas, Misty & Tiger Lily
Registration date : 2008-04-11

Back to top Go down

SAVLON!!!!!  PLEASE READ!!!! Empty Re: SAVLON!!!!! PLEASE READ!!!!

Post by maddymoo Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:46 pm

OMG! How can they not have a warning on the label? That is so irresponsible! I know that some cleaning products contain the same ingredient as anti-freeze so you have to be careful what products you use, but the idea of them absorbing something harmful through their paw pads is frightening.
maddymoo
maddymoo
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Number of posts : 5888
Cat(s): : Maddison and Bramble
Registration date : 2008-04-06

Back to top Go down

Post by *Prince* Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:15 am

SHIT!! I dont use the savlon one, but I do use Tescos own surface cleaner. That is shocking!
*Prince*
*Prince*
Cat-mad!
Cat-mad!

Number of posts : 3971
Cat(s): : Prince
Registration date : 2008-04-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Teddy Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:44 pm

Thing is if the manufacturers don't have it on the labels how are we meant to know, I use Asda's own brand so I will check this out.
Teddy
Teddy
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Number of posts : 10805
Cat(s): : Moto & Sophie

Back to top Go down

Post by Laura Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:21 pm

Bloody Hell! What ingrediant are we suppose to be looking for? Another good reason for keeping the cats off the work surfaces (other than hygiene Laughing ). It's hard though 'cos you can control them all the time, especially when you're out.
Laura
Laura
Champion Cat!
Champion Cat!

Number of posts : 802
Cat(s): : Percy

Back to top Go down

Post by Gilly Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:24 pm

Laura wrote:Bloody Hell! What ingrediant are we suppose to be looking for? Another good reason for keeping the cats off the work surfaces (other than hygiene Laughing ). It's hard though 'cos you can control them all the time, especially when you're out.

The first time I left Diva on her own I came back to a plant pot knocked over on the window sill - she'd obviously jumped up onto the work surfaces to look for me out of the kitchen windows!!!

You would think that it would be LAW for manufacturers to state whether a product is harmful in any way to animals, not just children!!! SAVLON!!!!!  PLEASE READ!!!! 265331 They are just as important as us humans!!! SAVLON!!!!!  PLEASE READ!!!! 975384
We don't have savlon in the house ( I never realised it was a cleanser - I thought it was just to put on cuts etc) but I'll certainly be checking out all the stuff we DO have under the kitchen sink!
Gilly
Gilly
Cat-mad!
Cat-mad!

Number of posts : 2024
Cat(s): : Thomas, Misty & Tiger Lily
Registration date : 2008-04-11

Back to top Go down

Post by maddymoo Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:02 am

Teddy wrote:Thing is if the manufacturers don't have it on the labels how are we meant to know, I use Asda's own brand so I will check this out.

My sis bought one of ASDA's own brands and it had anti-freeze in it! Look for Ethylene Glycol, Propylene Glycol, Immunogen?. Also, Ammonium phosphates and Phenol. Saying that I still use bleach, I just make sure I wash the surfaces down with plain water afterwards and dry everything.
maddymoo
maddymoo
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Number of posts : 5888
Cat(s): : Maddison and Bramble

Back to top Go down

Post by Megsy Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:52 pm

OMG. I use stuff like this daily as Tito is always on the worktops. I have to keep his food up there as the dogs would eat it otherwise. I will have to look for an animal friendly disinfectant.
Megsy
Megsy

Number of posts : 35
Cat(s): : TC and Tito
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post by littlekitty Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:25 pm

I also use the spray disinfectant, not savlon though. I use the tesco one and have just checked the label and it says on the warning bit " Do not allow pets (especially cats) to walk on treated surfaces until they are dry or lick surfaces that have been sprayed or wiped with this product". I will now be more careful whenever the babies are about, and will have to use a placemat to put under their dishes so they don't eat of the units. Will be looking at labels from now on.
littlekitty
littlekitty
Cat-mad!
Cat-mad!

Number of posts : 2788
Cat(s): : Buddy and Mary

http://www.cats2crafts.com

Back to top Go down

Post by pokbg Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:57 pm

Crikey - thanks for the heads up Gill!!! Thats really scary stuff... not that I clean much (shame on me... lol!), but I'll make sure I check the contents from now on!
pokbg
pokbg
Cat-mad!
Cat-mad!

Number of posts : 4533
Cat(s): : Pok m/4, BG f/2
Registration date : 2008-04-07

https://love4cats.darkbb.com/portal.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by Teddy Wed Nov 05, 2008 6:17 pm

The spray I use doesn't make any reference to animals, although it does say to keep out of reach of children and wash hands after use, so there you go, has to be dangerous to animals as well.
Teddy
Teddy
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Number of posts : 10805
Cat(s): : Moto & Sophie

Back to top Go down

Post by nicola Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:15 am

Never knew that, thanks Gilly.

nicola
Cat-mad!
Cat-mad!

Number of posts : 1467
Cat(s): : yes.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down