For The Love of Cats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bolas weight

4 posters

Go down

Bolas weight Empty Bolas weight

Post by Ian B Sun May 10, 2009 8:40 am

I've not tried to weigh him so don't know exactly how much he weighs, and he's as sleek as he looks in the pics I've posted so his weight isn't a problem atm, but he's at least half as heavy again as the rest. Are heavy cats at this age prone to be fatties when they slow down as they get older?

He eats like two cats and has food on demand/dry available 24/7, and he burns it off being so active, but I'd rather reduce his food bit by bit now if it's likely he'll get overweight later. The extra poundage will be muscle, but I dare say just like us, this muscle will turn to flab the less active he becomes with age.

Ian
Ian B
Ian B
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Number of posts : 9110
Cat(s): : Fudge, Bola, Buddy, Max........and several guests
Registration date : 2008-04-06

Back to top Go down

Bolas weight Empty Re: Bolas weight

Post by *Prince* Sun May 10, 2009 9:55 am

Hard to say Ian, but it wouldnt do any harm to reduce his intake a bit Im sure. Princey was always sleek, then all of a sudden became a Tubster! Seemed like it happend overnight! Laughing
*Prince*
*Prince*
Cat-mad!
Cat-mad!

Number of posts : 3971
Cat(s): : Prince
Registration date : 2008-04-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian B Sun May 10, 2009 10:23 am

I'll try reducing his intake a bit. For all he eats like a pig, he doesn't actually pester me for food, but barring brekkie which he rarely wants, if it's there he'll have a go at it.

Ian
Ian B
Ian B
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by maddymoo Sun May 10, 2009 1:32 pm

Same with Mads, she was sleek and active, although has always had a swinging belly since she was spayed lol, then like Prince... bam... fatty balatty cat! She's lucky she's black, it being such a slimming colour in all! Aye with hindsight we would have started the small regular meal thing earlier as she was used to having dry left out for her, although being a greedy grizzle guts she would help herself to Boo's food too.
maddymoo
maddymoo
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Number of posts : 5888
Cat(s): : Maddison and Bramble

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian B Sun May 10, 2009 6:28 pm

Just to prove me a liar, the little sod has barely eaten today, a few nibbles and that's been it Laughing

Ian
Ian B
Ian B
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by pokbg Tue May 12, 2009 2:03 am

ROFL! Bola beat you to the post! lol!

Pok is like Bola VERY active... and he eats like a horse. I'm sure he might turn into a right plumper come old age, but I think it will be easier to deal with it then then now. Pok has however really toned up now after being let out again. He's still the same weight though, but he's belly is gone (making him look like he's been elongated!).
pokbg
pokbg
Cat-mad!
Cat-mad!

Number of posts : 4533
Cat(s): : Pok m/4, BG f/2
Registration date : 2008-04-07

https://love4cats.darkbb.com/portal.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian B Tue May 19, 2009 9:08 am

I was surprised to notice just how boney, Max, Jimmy and Dexter were compared to Bola, don't get me wrong, they're not underweight, but there's a massive difference in the amount of muscle between them. I've got to feel for Bolas ribs and spine, whereas they're easily felt on those 3, and most other cats I've handled tbh.

Ian
Ian B
Ian B
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by maddymoo Tue May 19, 2009 3:38 pm

Try handling Madison, her ribs and spine are difficult to feel... but that aint muscle! LOL!

Bola is well and healthy, he is really fit and happy, you must be so proud of how far he's come on from the scrawny kitten that used to visit your garden.
maddymoo
maddymoo
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian B Tue May 19, 2009 8:01 pm

maddymoo wrote:Try handling Madison, her ribs and spine are difficult to feel... but that aint muscle! LOL!
I thought Fudge was muscular, but she's nothing compared to Bola. I feel sorry for the others when he play fights, his extra weight/muscle means they don't really stand a chance and he tends to go too far at times, I have to step in and rescue them.

Bola is well and healthy, he is really fit and happy, you must be so proud of how far he's come on from the scrawny kitten that used to visit your garden.
Yeah, I am proud, and even if I say it myself, he fell on his feet finding me Very Happy I really wish his mother would show her face again tho', even tho' she hates the sight of Bola, it'd be nice to see she's ok.

Ian
Ian B
Ian B
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by maddymoo Tue May 19, 2009 8:46 pm

Ian B wrote:I really wish his mother would show her face again tho', even tho' she hates the sight of Bola, it'd be nice to see she's ok.

Ian

Aren't cats funny!? I wonder if hating her offspring is some sort of evolutionary trait to avoid in-breeding? I doubt it tho, as a cat in heat'll probably 'do' anything! LOL!
maddymoo
maddymoo
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian B Tue May 19, 2009 8:56 pm

maddymoo wrote:
Ian B wrote:I really wish his mother would show her face again tho', even tho' she hates the sight of Bola, it'd be nice to see she's ok.

Ian

Aren't cats funny!? I wonder if hating her offspring is some sort of evolutionary trait to avoid in-breeding? I doubt it tho, as a cat in heat'll probably 'do' anything! LOL!
I think it's more likely because he's such a bloody nuisance Laughing

Ian
Ian B
Ian B
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by maddymoo Tue May 19, 2009 10:25 pm

Ian B wrote:
maddymoo wrote:

Ian

I think it's more likely because he's such a bloody nuisance Laughing

Ian

You forgot to add bully! LOL
maddymoo
maddymoo
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down