For The Love of Cats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cat weight

4 posters

Go down

Cat weight Empty Cat weight

Post by Ian B Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:35 pm

Hi All,

The shenanigins with the cat flap today has got me thinking about cats, well Bolas, weight.

He much the same age and size as Dexter, but I managed to pick Dexter up and was staggered at just what a featherweight he is compared to Bola, who must be at least 50% heavier Shocked

Bola isn't a big cat by any means, he's as sleek as he looks in the pics I've posted, but like Fudge, he's deceptively muscular/solid. I reckon if the vets ever weighed him while they were blindfolded, they'd swear he was overweight, but nothing could be further from the truth.

I'm not saying Dexter is underfed/underweight, Jimmy and Max from next door cats are built like him, but the extra poundage/muscle on Bola may explain how he managed to break the flap.

Ian
Ian B
Ian B
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Number of posts : 9110
Cat(s): : Fudge, Bola, Buddy, Max........and several guests
Registration date : 2008-04-06

Back to top Go down

Cat weight Empty Re: Cat weight

Post by Ceri Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:44 pm

It's strange isn't it how their build/weight can be so different. I've always imagined Bola to be fairly light, because as you said he does look very sleek and slim, but obviously he's quite a little body builder!!

My 3 have very different builds, Moli is very compact but quite solid, Misty is big and muscular and Monty is quite slender.

Do you know how much Bola weighs?

Ceri
Kitty-Chatter
Kitty-Chatter

Number of posts : 260
Cat(s): : Moli, Misty & Monty
Registration date : 2008-04-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian B Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:57 pm

Hi Ceri,

I don't tbh, tho' if I get chance, I'll try and weigh him later. It could well be that Dexter is the *freaky one* regarding weight, tho' his fur is that little bit thicker/longer than Bolas, they may well only look of a similar size.

Ian
Ian B
Ian B
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian B Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:42 pm

As if to prove Bola is a *Mr Muscle cat*, ginger tom has just called for food, came upstairs to ask for more, but seemingly Bola wouldn't let him past. When I went to see what all the noise was about, ginger was cowering on the stairs while Bola was on the stair above taking the odd paw swipe at him Laughing

Ian
Ian B
Ian B
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by pokbg Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:46 pm

lol! Bola the feline worlds answer to Mr Universe! lol!

Pok has gotten a little bit of belly... but he was always a heavey cat... even though he looked all slender, he was only half a kilo less then what he is now. I was worried the vet would claim he was overweight... but he wasn't. BG on the other hand is on the "large" side... and even though it's only about a kilo in difference between the two of them, Pok feels like he's twice as heavy as BG when I lift them.
pokbg
pokbg
Cat-mad!
Cat-mad!

Number of posts : 4533
Cat(s): : Pok m/4, BG f/2
Registration date : 2008-04-07

https://love4cats.darkbb.com/portal.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by maddymoo Fri Jul 04, 2008 1:00 am

It is funny how their weight differs. I was a little shocked when the vet told us that Mads was obese... even tho her head looked like a tiny pin head in comparison to her bod! LOL! She still didn't 'feel' that heavy! But now that she's lost weight, she's def alot happier and more playful and a much better huntress! I definately believe that its not really down to 'weight' but more whether they are in propotion and happy, that counts.
maddymoo
maddymoo
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Number of posts : 5888
Cat(s): : Maddison and Bramble

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian B Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:39 am

Ceri wrote:

Hi Ceri,

Hmmm, I've just weighed Bola (tho' it was hard to get him to sit still long enough to get a accurate reading) but he's between 3 and 3.5kg, tho' I suspect he's nearer the latter. Nothing out of the ordinary there, even tho' he isn't a big cat by any means, which suggests Dexter is underweight.

Ian
Ian B
Ian B
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Ceri Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:27 pm

Ian B wrote:
Ceri wrote:

Hi Ceri,

Hmmm, I've just weighed Bola (tho' it was hard to get him to sit still long enough to get a accurate reading) but he's between 3 and 3.5kg, tho' I suspect he's nearer the latter. Nothing out of the ordinary there, even tho' he isn't a big cat by any means, which suggests Dexter is underweight.

Ian

Bola must just be pure muscle then Ian with the strength he exerts on the catflap! Laughing

Ceri
Kitty-Chatter
Kitty-Chatter

Number of posts : 260
Cat(s): : Moli, Misty & Monty
Registration date : 2008-04-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian B Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:53 am

Hi Ceri,

He's like Fudge, they aren't big but are deceptively solid and muscular.

Ian
Ian B
Ian B
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content