For The Love of Cats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Litter tray etiquette

+5
nicola
Laura
Teddy
maddymoo
Chunkyboy
9 posters

Go down

Litter tray etiquette Empty Litter tray etiquette

Post by Chunkyboy Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:50 pm

Now, as you all know, Princey is using a litter tray at the moment due to his confinement indoors, and previous to that never really used on, except when we first got him and being kept in before having his dental.
What is the general view on emptying/cleaning of said litter tray?
At the moment, I tend to empty the whole thing every day, whether he has poo'ed or not, but it is costing a fortune in litter! Shocked
Do you guys empty it daily, or "just remove the poo", or what?
Sorry for the grim subject and my naivety! Very Happy
Chunkyboy
Chunkyboy
Champion Cat!
Champion Cat!

Number of posts : 614
Cat(s): : Prince
Registration date : 2008-12-10

Back to top Go down

Litter tray etiquette Empty Re: Litter tray etiquette

Post by maddymoo Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:09 pm

LOL! Aye there is no etiquette when it comes to litter trays!

Erm.... we are bad mum and dad as, as you say it costs a bloody fortune! We just remove the poos ASAP and only change the whole thing before it gets too minging (usually about once a week, ob if one of them has had a dodgey tum then we change it earlier) and wipe the tray out with scrubby wipes then. About once a month we have a full proper clean of the tray, washing it out with soapy water etc. We have two trays as well as ob there's two cats, but the two trays does help also.

I
maddymoo
maddymoo
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Number of posts : 5888
Cat(s): : Maddison and Bramble
Registration date : 2008-04-06

Back to top Go down

Post by maddymoo Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:11 pm

Argghh, clicked send as I was about to write something else too! LOL! Hence the lonely 'I' at the bottom. But its doesn't matter, was nowt important! LOL!
maddymoo
maddymoo
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Number of posts : 5888
Cat(s): : Maddison and Bramble

Back to top Go down

Post by Teddy Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:41 pm

ROFL, Helen, you need a break.

Oonywize back to trays. We scoop oot any poo although they hadrly do tha in the house, as soon as poss, and like helen change the whole thing about once a week where I scrub it to within an inch of its life. Outside in the pen, because they use it all the time, it's scooped out as soon as, and every two/three days completely changed and washed out. But then I don't have to buy the litter for outside so am a bit extravagant with it then. LOL
Teddy
Teddy
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Number of posts : 10805
Cat(s): : Moto & Sophie

Back to top Go down

Post by Chunkyboy Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:05 pm

Aaaah, so we have been going over the top then! Rolling Eyes
I think its cos its upstairs in the bedroom with us, along with his dishes (to deter Prince from going up and down the stairs when we are asleep/at work), that we have been a bit more OTT than is necessary.
Only once (Xmas morning actually Litter tray etiquette 43453 ) did we have to shoot out of bed and "get rid", due to the smell!
Bless him, he's taken to using it good as gold, but is a little sh*te for playing with bits of it and zooming about the room chasing it with his paw! Not only that, but when he digs, he REALLY digs, and half the litter lands on the freakin carpet, and I MEAN half of it! Luckily no poo on carpet..... so far. Wink
I think perhaps I put too much litter in too (we use the wood pellet based) and tend to fill it up to almost the top. Is that right?
Chunkyboy
Chunkyboy
Champion Cat!
Champion Cat!

Number of posts : 614
Cat(s): : Prince
Registration date : 2008-12-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Laura Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:19 pm

I scoop out the poo and wee when it 'arrives'. I clean the tray once a week with boiling water, Fairy Liquid and paper towels. I'm not keen on using chemicals although that could be a bit anal.

Percy hasn't used his tray for about six months so it hasn't been cleaned out for ages, but I keep it there just incase.
Laura
Laura
Champion Cat!
Champion Cat!

Number of posts : 802
Cat(s): : Percy

Back to top Go down

Post by nicola Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:21 pm

I scoop out asap and clean it all out every 2/3 days, Lilly is an indoor cat so she uses it for everything, we use to have to clean the hole thing out every day when she had the clay littler but now she has the wood one it's so much better and i only use half the amount.

nicola
Cat-mad!
Cat-mad!

Number of posts : 1467
Cat(s): : yes.

Back to top Go down

Post by pokbg Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:29 pm

Poops get scooped out as soon as I spot it (or smell it in BGs case). Normally I do however change both the litter trays each morning, but occasionally I don't have to (we use the wood pellets)... this morning was one of those days I didn't have to. Normally I do have to though, as BG will pee many times a day, and the compressed sawdust will turn to mush.

The trays gets cleaned irregularly... normally when BG has missed the tray and gone on the floor instead (leaving the underside of "her" tray soaked), and then they get a proper clean. But wit the sawdust it doesn't stick to the trays, so as I empty then each morning, I just tap it on the back and everything comes off, nor does it smell.

At the house I always change the litter tray before we leave, so it's fresh waiting for us to come back up. Generally they pee outside there, and just come in to do poopies, so it's just poopie-scooping until we're about to leave again.
pokbg
pokbg
Cat-mad!
Cat-mad!

Number of posts : 4533
Cat(s): : Pok m/4, BG f/2
Registration date : 2008-04-07

https://love4cats.darkbb.com/portal.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by Teddy Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:10 pm

How weird is that, pee outside, poop inside, oh I bet you wish it was the other way around. LOL
Teddy
Teddy
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian B Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:46 pm

Litter changed as and when needed here, and as there's only GT who regularly uses the trays, plus the fact he's got a choice of 3 trays and uses them all, it doesn't need doing that often. Now I've changed to the wood pellet litter, it needs doing even less as it's amazingly absorbent Litter tray etiquette 579159

Any poo is cleaned out as soon as it's seen, tho' this mornings *offering* stank so bad I had to leave it for a couple of hours before I could go in the room, let alone near the tray Litter tray etiquette 878172 Laughing

Ian
Ian B
Ian B
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Number of posts : 9110
Cat(s): : Fudge, Bola, Buddy, Max........and several guests

Back to top Go down

Post by Teddy Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:15 pm

Any poo is cleaned out as soon as it's seen, tho' this mornings *offering* stank so bad I had to leave it for a couple of hours before I could go in the room, let alone near the tray Litter tray etiquette 878172 Laughing

Ian
[/quote]

Litter tray etiquette 72767 Litter tray etiquette 72767 Litter tray etiquette 72767 nice one. pale
Teddy
Teddy
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Gilly Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:35 pm

Litter tray etiquette 72767 Oh I've been there in the past Ian so can FULLY sympathise Laughing

I tend to scoop the poop as soon as they do it - or as soon as I get up in the morning. I give the whole tray a good wash in hot soapy water once or twice a week, depending on how active Merlin's bum is Rolling Eyes They are not too bad really as they are dry food Litter tray etiquette 579159
We have a large hooded litter tray which tends to help keep the litter inside - especially as Miss Tabitha is manic about covering stuff up Rolling Eyes It doesn't have to be hers either...you can almost see her heaving litter over Merlin's doings and thinking to herself ''Scruffy pig...could at least cover it up...grumble...grumble....'' Litter tray etiquette 43453 She really IS obsessed and I have to lock her out of the kitchen whilst I do it or she's climbing in and supervising me Rolling Eyes
I use the co-op's own brand which is like small red pebbles - it's great as it really absorbs any smell and doesn't make massive clumps like one other brand did which I had to use cos my normal has sold out Litter tray etiquette 265331

I think once the kitts get any bigger we are going to have to get another litter tray or I'll be forever scooping it out Rolling Eyes
Gilly
Gilly
Cat-mad!
Cat-mad!

Number of posts : 2024
Cat(s): : Thomas, Misty & Tiger Lily
Registration date : 2008-04-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian B Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:01 am

Gilly wrote:I use the co-op's own brand which is like small red pebbles - it's great as it really absorbs any smell and doesn't make massive clumps like one other brand did which I had to use cos my normal has sold out Litter tray etiquette 265331
Hi Gilly,

The Co-ops own brand clay based litter is superb isn't it? I used to get that before Somerfields took over and I can't get it now Crying or Very sad

Ian
Ian B
Ian B
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Number of posts : 9110
Cat(s): : Fudge, Bola, Buddy, Max........and several guests

Back to top Go down

Post by Ali Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:20 pm

I scoop out the poop and wee and change the litter once a week otherwise it would cost us a fortune in cat litter. Isis doesn't seem too bothered by it thankfully.
Ali
Ali
Cat-mad!
Cat-mad!

Number of posts : 1236
Cat(s): : Isis
Registration date : 2008-04-07

http://AliJones.myarbonne.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content