For The Love of Cats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RIP William

+5
Ali
littlekitty
Teddy
maddymoo
Ian B
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

RIP William Empty RIP William

Post by Ian B Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:33 am

God knows what happened, but he was asleep on my bed when I heard a tremendous thump, and thinking it was Bola chasing Dexter I nipped upstairs only to find William lying on the floor screaming with pain. As there's no way I could get him to the vets I took a chance and knocked on the door of who I thought owned him to let them know, and luckily he does live there.

Donna and her son came dashing up to see him, and he'd moved, tho' he can't stand and his neck looks at least badly twisted (can they dislocate their necks?) if not actually broken. We managed to get him into my carrier and they're off to the emergency vets atm, tho' the vet said she won't be able to get there much before midnight. He's in shock and his breathing is so fast it's pitiful, I just hope and pray they're in time.

Jeez, I'm going to have nightmares tonight after finding him like that, my heart has only just stopped pounding.

I just can't understand how he injured himself like this, there's nothing out of place in my bedroom, the only thing I can think of is he fell and landed squarely on his head, but that isn't likely. Oh, and he isn't insured either, so this is likely to be expensive for Donna and her son and daughter.

Positive vibes for poor William please everyone.

Ian

Last edited by Ian B on Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:23 pm; edited 2 times in total
Ian B
Ian B
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Number of posts : 9110
Cat(s): : Fudge, Bola, Buddy, Max........and several guests
Registration date : 2008-04-06

Back to top Go down

RIP William Empty Re: RIP William

Post by Ian B Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:54 am

Thinking about it, as odd as his neck and head position was, the fact that he was picked up off the floor, put back on my bed then put in my carrier, suggests that his neck isn't perhaps the problem as all that moving would almost certainly have made things worse, if not killed him outright.

The only other thing that springs to mind is a electric shock, he has the habit of peeing under my computer desk at times and there are various extension leads/multi sockets there, but surely a shock would have killed him, and besides, nothing has been fused.

They don't know how old he is as they took him from a woman who could no longer look after him and didn't know his age then, but as he's been visiting me for over 10 years now, he's getting on a bit. I can't decide whether to call and ask about him today or wait till they tell me, but I suspect the worst tbh.

On a side note, I think I've found GT's home, I'm 99.9% certain I saw him on a sofa when I went down to tell them about William.

Ian
Ian B
Ian B
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by maddymoo Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:47 am

OMG, Ian, I'm so sorry to hear this. That would have been horrendous, but it was quick thinking getting Donna so she could get him to the vets. I hope and pray he pulls through. Tons of positive vibes going out to William.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~+ve~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
maddymoo
maddymoo
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Number of posts : 5888
Cat(s): : Maddison and Bramble

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian B Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:23 pm

Hi Helen,

Yeah, it was truly horrendous to see.

I've only ever seen a cat in as much distress once before, and that was over 40 years ago when one of ours disappeared for a few days, then turned up with his left front paw swollen to about 3 times it's normal size. The vet said he thought he'd got it trapped in a door, but it was too late, infection had set in so much he was beyond help so we had to let him go.

My intention was to call and see Donna on my way back from shopping, but all the curtains are drawn. I don't know if that's because she works shifts, of if the worst happened and she's so upset at losing him. He's the softest, most good natured cat I've ever known, not a bad bone in his body. All he asks for is somewhere to sleep and food, and if he has been PTS, he deserved a better end than this.

Ian
Ian B
Ian B
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by maddymoo Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:19 pm

The soft gentle lad. Lets hope he's still at the vets and the curtains are drawn as she's sleeping. But Ian, you have a right to know, William chose to adopt you and for all this time you've been feeding him, caring for him and giving him a place to sleep. When there's signs of life from their house (as I agree, its not the best thing to do to knock on the door when all the windows are drawn), you should go over and enquire. If the worst has happens she may be greatfull to be able to talk to you about William as you are the closest to him. I'm not even going to say to try not to worry until you know one way or the other, but that would be futile as we all worry about our babies. (((hugs)))
maddymoo
maddymoo
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Teddy Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:19 pm

I've only just seen this Ian, what an awful thing for you to experience and poor william, I really hope he's on the mend, but oh what we wouldn't give to know what has happened. Positive vibes !!!!!
Teddy
Teddy
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Number of posts : 10805
Cat(s): : Moto & Sophie

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian B Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:43 pm

Hi Kath,

I thought he was dead when I first saw him lying there, he was totally motionless, but then started wailing when I touched him. By the time I'd got back from telling Donna he'd moved, not far but he'd moved, tho' he couldn't stand and he never tried to tbh. He didn't complain when we put him in the carrier, but started soon after and stopped as soon as either the son or myself stroked him, so he was aware of what was happening.

I'b be a liar if I didn't suspect Bola had been involved at first, but he was outside and only appeared, along with Fudge, to see what all the fuss was about. I've wracked my brains trying to figure out how he came to be hurt like this, but there's nothing in my bedroom that could possibly explain it.

A stroke is rare in a cat, but if there are no physical injuries, having one could perhaps explain his loss of muscle control in his legs/neck, which may have caused his head to be held at a funny angle.

I'll nip down to see Donna before long as I hate the not knowing.

Ian
Ian B
Ian B
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian B Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:23 pm

Hi All,

I've just been down to see Donna and sadly he was PTS in the early hours today Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

Seemingly he had a tumor which was pressing on nerves causing the paralysis, and his lungs were rapidly filling up. The vet told Donna that when his lungs were drained and he could breathe easier, he started purring like a madcat. They did offer more treatment, but ultimately it would have been pointless.

If it's any consolation to Donna, and myself, at least this happened in my house where he was found and so didn't suffer for that long before getting helped. I can't quite get my head round how a cat can seem perfectly healthy, yet a few short hours later can be dying like that.

He might not have been one of my gang, but I'll miss as tho' he was. RIP William, a true gentleman of a cat.

Ian

Last edited by Ian B on Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ian B
Ian B
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by littlekitty Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:23 pm

Sorry to hear about William Ian, hope he is still with the vet's and he's going to be ok. Maybe Donna you will let you know what happened to him and how he's doing.
Keep us informed if/when you hear anything.

*edit*
OMG Ian, I am so so sorry to hear that William was pts. You showed him kindness and love and took him in when he needed a bed. He was a very lucky boy to have you around. Am in tears now, it's so sad how a perfectly normal cat can be here one minute and gone the next.
RIP William. You are at peace now.
littlekitty
littlekitty
Cat-mad!
Cat-mad!

Number of posts : 2788
Cat(s): : Buddy and Mary

http://www.cats2crafts.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian B Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:36 pm

Hi Lynn,

Thanks, even tho' he wasn't mine, I'm gutted, but poor Donna is devastated at the speed of it all.

Neither of us had seen anything to suggest he had anything wrong with him, let alone something as serious as that. As upsetting as it was to find him like that, it was better me being upset than him collapsing outside and suffering a slow death alone.

Ian
Ian B
Ian B
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Teddy Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:11 pm

Oh god, that is so sad, how can a cat I've never seen effect me so much? I am so glad he was with you Ian, horrible for you to see but he couldn't have been in a better place. Thinking of you Ian, I know you'll be gutted. x
Teddy
Teddy
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by maddymoo Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:30 pm

I'm so very sorry Ian. I guess the one consoluation is he has been well and unaffected by this until the end, so at least he hasn't suffered and you found him quickly enough to keep it that way. I have to say I had a small smile at the image of him purring like a madcat once the vet drained his lungs, what a rare quality, he must have known the vet was helping him and rather then 'going for the vet' he purred to show his content and gratitude. You gave him comfort by stroking him and at the end he was surrounded by people who he knew were helping him, the fact he purred for the vet, meant he must have trusted this vet and would have simply gone to sleep unafraid. Oh dear, am crying now. RIP loving William, you Daddy will miss you very much. We're all here for you Ian when and if you want to talk. (((hugs)))
maddymoo
maddymoo
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian B Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:34 pm

Thanks All,

I can fill in a few details of his past now.

Donna got him from a work colleague when he was about a year old because she could no longer look after him, and said colleague had literally taken him from two kids when she found the playing catch with him when he was a very young kitten Evil or Very Mad Donna had owned him for well over 10 years.

Seemingly, he had several homes he visited regularly over that time, I was just lucky enough to be among them, so there will be more than just Donna's family and myself upset at his passing. I've called him ugly, in human terms he had the sort of face only a mother could love tbh, and he didn't have the greatest personality, but what a friendly, undemanding cat he was.

He never *asked* for anything, he'd come in here and either find somewhere to get his head down, or sit and wait till I fed him. I'll miss his jumping onto the back of my chair and headbutting me, and especially the little squeaking sounds he made when you gave him a belly rub.

I still can't believe how quickly this happened, the thumping noise I heard must have been him falling off my bed and the other noises his thrashing about as the paralysis took hold.

If nothing else, this should show people they need to enjoy their cats each moment as you simply don't know what may be round the corner.

Ian
Ian B
Ian B
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by maddymoo Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:59 pm

Oh bless, its rather nice to know he touched more than a few homes. It is devastating how fast this happened. You're right, no one knows what is around the corner, its so hard as no matter how long they are in our lives, its never long enough tp repay the joy they give us. Never a truer word spoken Ian. Its so sad tho, I can hardly take it in as was so sudden, your head must still be spinning, expecting to find him curled up somewhere, which he may well do, he obviously enjoyed his visits, so they may well continue.
maddymoo
maddymoo
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian B Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:27 pm

Hi Helen,

The end was quick, but I guess the tumor had been there for some time and last night it reached the critical size where it pressed on nerves.

I've always thought it best for pets (and people) to go fast like this, but having sat and talked to Donna and seen just how devastated she is, I'm not so sure now.

Oh, I forgot to mention this, Donna told me her neighbour had lost 6, yes that's 6, cats to antifreeze poisoning over the past few years.

Ian

Last edited by Ian B on Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ian B
Ian B
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Teddy Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:35 pm

Quick passing or not, I don't think we can really be prepared for it when it happens. Difference probably is not having the anxious waiting and wondering, but then there isn't that horrible sudden shock either. Either way it's so devastating.

If nothing else, this should show people they need to enjoy their cats each moment as you simply don't know what may be round the corner.

Oh so true but most of us do forget this, I must remeber this next time either one of them is driving me nuts, at least they are here to do that.
Teddy
Teddy
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian B Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:22 am

I don't know if Donna has any pics of him, but when she brings my carrier back I think I'll ask her if she'd like me to print off some of the pics I have.

Ian
Ian B
Ian B
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Teddy Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:12 pm

That would be good, nice thought Ian. RIP William 579159
Teddy
Teddy
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by maddymoo Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:48 pm

Absolutely, that is a lovely thought, I know she'll appreciate it.
maddymoo
maddymoo
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian B Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:01 pm

I've been meaning to get some decent quality 10x15 photo paper for a while to print off some pics of Beckett, so it'd be no trouble to do a couple of William as well. I'll call in my local 'puter shop tomorrow and see if they stock it, but if not I'll have to buy online.

Ian
Ian B
Ian B
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Ali Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:53 am

Oh gosh, that's terrible. Poor you and Donna. RIP William. xxx
Ali
Ali
Cat-mad!
Cat-mad!

Number of posts : 1236
Cat(s): : Isis
Registration date : 2008-04-07

http://AliJones.myarbonne.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian B Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:58 am

Hi Ali,

Thanks, I think it'll be a while before I get over seeing him like that. Tuesday, Wednesday and today I've woken up seeing and hearing him and it breaks my heart to think that any animal has to end their days in such a sad way.

Ian
Ian B
Ian B
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Teddy Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:33 am

The memory will fade Ian, just such a shock to you seeing that happen. It won't be easy but when you start to think about it, try and switch to remembering him doing something funny or cute. usual story and sorry to repeat it but time will help ease that memory for you.
Teddy
Teddy
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Chunkyboy Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:21 pm

Ian! I am so so sorry! I have only JUST seen this. I am heartbroken for William, Donna and your poor self finding him like that.
Again apologies for not having noticed this. I feel awful.
Chunkyboy
Chunkyboy
Champion Cat!
Champion Cat!

Number of posts : 614
Cat(s): : Prince
Registration date : 2008-12-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian B Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:44 pm

Chunkyboy wrote:Ian! I am so so sorry! I have only JUST seen this. I am heartbroken for William, Donna and your poor self finding him like that.
Again apologies for not having noticed this. I feel awful.
No apology needed, I changed the thread title after he was PTS.

It was the suddeness of it all that shocked everybody the most, there wasn't a hint of anything being wrong before I found him on the floor like that, tho' that said, in retrospect perhaps there were signs. He loved his head and chin rubbed, even having a belly rub would bring on little squeals of delight, but stroking his back, while not making him flinch or cry out, it was clear he didn't much enjoy it.

This wasn't enough to make me think something was wrong, certainly not enough to make me think he needed to be seen by a vet, but maybe it had become too uncomfortable for him.

Ian
Ian B
Ian B
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content