For The Love of Cats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RIP the ginger tom

+2
Teddy
Ian B
6 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

RIP the ginger tom - Page 2 Empty Re: RIP the ginger tom

Post by Ian B Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:41 am

Still no sign of him, it's beginning to look like his owners have done the right thing by him, at least I hope so.

Ian
Ian B
Ian B
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Number of posts : 9110
Cat(s): : Fudge, Bola, Buddy, Max........and several guests
Registration date : 2008-04-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian B Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:25 am

He's back, but is absolutely full of a cold/something. He's managing to eat, but is sniffling and coughing like mad and if he hasn't been seen by a vet for this alone, he should be asap.

Ian
Ian B
Ian B
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Teddy Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:53 am

oh oh, I know it's going to be near impossible to keep him away from your own cats, this doesn't look good at all. His immune system will be well and truly shot, so this maybe just an ordinary cold, but it could be cat flu.
Teddy
Teddy
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Number of posts : 10805
Cat(s): : Moto & Sophie

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian B Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:34 pm

He's stopped coughing and sneezing, I doubt it's cat flu, in his state that would absolutely floor him, but he's still relatively active, and my lot have been close enough to catch anything contagious. He managed to sneak into the kitchen when I left the door open and is curled up fast asleep on a mat near the door atm, and I haven't got the heart to put him outside. Part of me (and it's a big part tbh) is hoping he'll pass in his sleep while he's here.

'EDIT'

He's enjoying a bowl of cat milk Very Happy

I'm tempted to phone my vets and ask for advice as it's pretty obvious his owners don't really care about his welfare, tho' I don't see as there's much I can do beyond reporting them/him, and the last thing I need is to get involved in any arguments with his owners.

Ian
Ian B
Ian B
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Teddy Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:51 pm

difficult situ Ian, aye to pass in his sleep would be a blessing but I doubt that rarely happens. TBH I don't know what I would do, probably take him to the vet. It would have been easier for you if you didn't know who/where he belongs as then you could do something about it, then you don't have to worry about anyone else.
Teddy
Teddy
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by maddymoo Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:10 pm

Oh absolutely, you don't want to annoy those neighbours further. Its difficult to know what to do for the best... its easy to know what to do for the best for GT, but it isn't just GT its the situation and that is a position non of us would want to be in.
maddymoo
maddymoo
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Number of posts : 5888
Cat(s): : Maddison and Bramble

Back to top Go down

Post by *Prince* Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:32 pm

Really tough situation you are in here Ian. Like has already been said, we all know what we would "like" to happen, but you cant go putting yourself in a position of aggro with those types of people. GAH! Poor Ginge. No
*Prince*
*Prince*
Cat-mad!
Cat-mad!

Number of posts : 3971
Cat(s): : Prince
Registration date : 2008-04-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian B Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:59 pm

I'd not seen him all day, and I don't know how long he'd been sat there, but I found him on my doorstep about 1/2 an hour ago. He wasn't coughing or barking and tucked into a plate of food before strolling off home. Beyond him looking skinny, he looked ok, tho' it's almost certainly a temporary thing.

Ian
Ian B
Ian B
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian B Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:07 pm

Still no sign of him, tho' he could have been sat there and I've just missed him, but I doubt that. If his owners have got any common sense/compassion, they'll be keeping him in where they can keep an eye on things, I hope so anyway.

Ian
Ian B
Ian B
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by maddymoo Sat Oct 17, 2009 1:33 pm

That is worry. I too hope they're keeping him in, they often appear to get better befor going downhill....
maddymoo
maddymoo
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian B Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:43 am

He turned up yesterday afternoon, invited himself in and managed to bully both Bola and Buddy away from their food Shocked Considering the state he's in, that's pretty impressive, unless they took pity on him (like there's a chance of that tho' Laughing)

Ian
Ian B
Ian B
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Gilly Sun Oct 18, 2009 1:21 pm

OMG just seen this Shocked That poor poor cat....his owners should be given a blooming one-way injection!!!!! RIP the ginger tom - Page 2 265331 WHY do folk bother having pets if they couldn't actually give two hoots about them? confused

I think if it were me I'd be tempted to just take the poor cat along to the vet and have him PTS if he's too far gone and then just deny seeing him for a few days if the neighbours come knocking - better than letting him suffer - but I CAN fully understand about not upsetting the druggie neighbours pale It's an awkward situation to be in No

Hope it works out for the best soon Ian (((HUGS)))
Gilly
Gilly
Cat-mad!
Cat-mad!

Number of posts : 2024
Cat(s): : Thomas, Misty & Tiger Lily
Registration date : 2008-04-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian B Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:27 pm

Hi Gilly,

There's no getting away from the fact that as ill as he looks (is) he seems happy enough, and as much as I/we would almost certainly have him pts, it's not my call to make.

To the best of my knowledge, he's never been a fighter or strayed far from home, his main pleasure is eating and if that means stealing food, I doubt that pricks his concience too much Laughing

They have at least one other cat who is in perfect health, so I don't think it's deliberate neglect on their part, but perhaps they don't care as much as we would given the same situation.

I've not seen him today, and I doubt I will now as it's getting a bit late for him to come calling.

Ian

Last edited by Ian B on Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ian B
Ian B
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian B Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:34 pm

I've just been told he died at home at 6am on Saturday Crying or Very sad

Seemingly he had some kind of fit, went unconcious and never came round from it. From what the wife said it was a *peaceful end*, at least he wouldn't have known much about it. After the husband telling me he had cancer, his wife said no, it was a thyroid problem, which makes more sense considering how long he'd lasted.

It'll just be coincidence, but she told me his health problems started virtually as soon as his best friend at home had to be pts, but then again, who knows?

He'd had a good innings tho', he was over 16yo and that's not a bad age, it's just a shame his final few months were so full of health issues.

Not my fav cat by a long way, but RIP Ginger.

Ian
Ian B
Ian B
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Teddy Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:56 pm

Oh poor ginger, but I am so relieved too, hubby didn't have much of a clue did he?
I wouldn't be surprised if his friend being PTS did have an effect on him, I still wonder if Sam's tumour was brought on because we got Moto, maybe the stress of a ginger hurricane kitten was just too much for Sam.

RIP Ginger Tom.
Teddy
Teddy
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Ceri Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:02 pm

The poor little fellow has obviously had a rough ride in his final months but the care you showed him was clearly well received by him Ian which was why he was such a frequent visitor. It must be a relief to know that he is no longer suffering. RIP Ginger Tom

Ceri
Kitty-Chatter
Kitty-Chatter

Number of posts : 260
Cat(s): : Moli, Misty & Monty
Registration date : 2008-04-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian B Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:22 pm

Teddy wrote:Oh poor ginger, but I am so relieved too, hubby didn't have much of a clue did he?
I wouldn't be surprised if his friend being PTS did have an effect on him, I still wonder if Sam's tumour was brought on because we got Moto, maybe the stress of a ginger hurricane kitten was just too much for Sam.

RIP Ginger Tom.
Hi Kath,

I'm glad it's over for him, I couldn't resist telling her I wouldn't have let him go on so long, but that was just me. It's not nice for anyone who likes cats to see one go downhill like that but be powerless to do anything to help. To be fair to the husband, I was on my way back from the pub when he *told* me he had cancer, I could have got that wrong, but I'm 90% sure he did say that.

Ceri wrote:The poor little fellow has obviously had a rough ride in his final months but the care you showed him was clearly well received by him Ian which was why he was such a frequent visitor. It must be a relief to know that he is no longer suffering. RIP Ginger Tom
Hi Ceri,

Yeah, he had a rough time of it towards the end. It's funny, he knew how much I disliked him, I did throw cups of cold water at him when I found him stealing food here. He used to run as soon as he saw me, but as he became ill I took pity on him and I guess he realised that so no longer felt the need to get away from me.

I didn't do much for him tbh, just made sure he had regular meals, I think he preferred eating here as it was obvious he was having problems eating and I gave him Whiskas Supermeat, which didn't need a lot of chewing.

Seemingly the carer found him having the fit, and it was all over soon after so he didn't suffer unduly, and at least it was at home.

Ian
Ian B
Ian B
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Teddy Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:49 pm

To be fair to the husband, I was on my way back from the pub when he *told* me he had cancer, I could have got that wrong, but I'm 90% sure he did say that.

LOL ok, we'll give him the benefit of the doubt, or maybe you? RIP the ginger tom - Page 2 43453
Teddy
Teddy
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian B Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:21 pm

Teddy wrote:
To be fair to the husband, I was on my way back from the pub when he *told* me he had cancer, I could have got that wrong, but I'm 90% sure he did say that.

LOL ok, we'll give him the benefit of the doubt, or maybe you? RIP the ginger tom - Page 2 43453
It'll be me Embarassed For all I say I'm 90% sure he said that, it seems unlikely he'd get that detail so badly wrong.

Ian
Ian B
Ian B
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by *Prince* Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:47 pm

Very sad to read this, but at the same time, like yourself and everyone else on here Ian, so glad to know that Ginge is now at peace, and he didnt have too traumtic an ending on this earth. Poor fella, hung on to the end, bless him. RIP Ginger One. xx
*Prince*
*Prince*
Cat-mad!
Cat-mad!

Number of posts : 3971
Cat(s): : Prince
Registration date : 2008-04-24

Back to top Go down

Post by maddymoo Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:04 pm

I'm both sad and relieved for him. Poor fella, with you telling us so much about his visits, I bet everyone one here feels like they know him a little, he'll be a miss. RIP Ginger tom. x
maddymoo
maddymoo
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian B Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:25 pm

Yeah, I'm glad he's not suffering anymore, as he surely must have been towards the end. As much as I disliked him, I have to admit he was a real trooper carrying on as long as he did, and in a funny sort of way, I'll miss him calling.

Ian
Ian B
Ian B
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content