For The Love of Cats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Letting Isis out

4 posters

Go down

Letting Isis out Empty Letting Isis out

Post by Ali Sat May 22, 2010 11:55 am

Hello all,
Now that we've moved to a lovely little village in north Oxfordshire where traffic is at a minimum, we have thought about letting Isis out. My mum told me that we ought to make sure her vaccinations are up to date as my sister had an indoor cat who got out by accident and was very ill afterwards and spend many nights at the vets'. To be fair, my sister's cat was quite sickly.
What do you reckon? Mum's had cats all outdoor, and they've never had to be vaccinated. But as Isis is an indoor cat, should we make sure her vaccinations are up to date? I'd be devastated if anything happened to her.
Thank you! x
Ali
Ali
Cat-mad!
Cat-mad!

Number of posts : 1236
Cat(s): : Isis
Registration date : 2008-04-07

http://AliJones.myarbonne.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Letting Isis out Empty Re: Letting Isis out

Post by Ian B Sat May 22, 2010 12:31 pm

Hi Ali,

Let her out with supervision, I'm from the school that thinks all cats should have at least some access to the great outside. You never know, she may be happy just sunbathing or pottering round the garden like my Fudge, she's getting on a bit now but very rarely strays beyond my garden yet is free to come and go as she wants.

As for vacs, I've never bothered with them, tho' I freely admit this is taking a risk.

Ian
Ian B
Ian B
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Number of posts : 9110
Cat(s): : Fudge, Bola, Buddy, Max........and several guests
Registration date : 2008-04-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Ali Sun May 23, 2010 12:37 pm

Thanks Ian. I'll start to let her out and see how she gets on. It's a shame to keep her couped up in the house all day every day when she's got the garden and fields behind to roam around in. I don't think she'll go too far.
Ali
Ali
Cat-mad!
Cat-mad!

Back to top Go down

Post by maddymoo Mon May 24, 2010 5:13 pm

I would get her vacs done as there is a glimmer of worry in your tone and if anything did happen you'd never forgive yourself. I'm a big believer in vaccinations, but I'm a worry wort lol, I have to locate both cats before I'll put the washer or dryer on! Then again I'm also a big believer in flea treatments and treating the home too and I know the thought of all those chemicals isn't everyones cup of tea so there's no right way, just ways that are right for our own cats, but for the cost of vaccinations over the cost of a cat whom hasn't really been in contact with other cats becoming ill, there's no contest. I would get her vaccinated, at least then you know she's protected against others whom may be carriers.
maddymoo
maddymoo
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Number of posts : 5888
Cat(s): : Maddison and Bramble

Back to top Go down

Post by Ali Thu May 27, 2010 5:50 pm

OK, thanks Helen. I have let her out a few times now and she's been fine. She loves it of course! I have been outside with her at all times to make sure she doesn't wander off and get lost. I don't let her out for too long, and she's not strayed away from the garden yet. I'll ring the local vet's and get her booked in for her vaccinations soon.
Ali
Ali
Cat-mad!
Cat-mad!

Back to top Go down

Post by *Prince* Thu May 27, 2010 8:06 pm

YAY for Isis getting out. Good girl staying in the garden.
Sooo happy to hear all is going well so far, but even better when she gets her vacs'.

(I will have all this worry in 6 months time when we move) *bites finger nails*
*Prince*
*Prince*
Cat-mad!
Cat-mad!

Number of posts : 3971
Cat(s): : Prince
Registration date : 2008-04-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian B Thu May 27, 2010 8:12 pm

Hi Ali,

Great to hear she's enjoying it outside Very Happy it would have been horrible to finally let her out only to find she was too scared to relax.

Ian
Ian B
Ian B
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Number of posts : 9110
Cat(s): : Fudge, Bola, Buddy, Max........and several guests

Back to top Go down

Post by maddymoo Fri May 28, 2010 2:06 pm

Yeay! Oh bless her! It must be wonderful to see her enjoying herself and being big and brave in the big wide world... well garden lol.
maddymoo
maddymoo
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Number of posts : 5888
Cat(s): : Maddison and Bramble

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down