For The Love of Cats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Indoor cat flaps? (Done)

4 posters

Go down

Indoor cat flaps? (Done) Empty Indoor cat flaps? (Done)

Post by Ian B Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:50 am

I'm toying with the idea of putting a flap on the living room door, mainly for winter so my lot can come in/out without my needing to constantly get up to shut the door after them, but also so I can leave them in the living room at night (with it set to exit only) instead of my waking/moving them when I go to bed.

Has anyone done this?

Ian

Last edited by Ian B on Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ian B
Ian B
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Number of posts : 9110
Cat(s): : Fudge, Bola, Buddy, Max........and several guests
Registration date : 2008-04-06

Back to top Go down

Indoor cat flaps? (Done) Empty Re: Indoor cat flaps? (Done)

Post by *Prince* Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:07 am

Havent done it Ian, but it sounds like a great idea, much easier for you and the kits!
*Prince*
*Prince*
Cat-mad!
Cat-mad!

Number of posts : 3971
Cat(s): : Prince
Registration date : 2008-04-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian B Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:17 am

I've been thinking about this for ages and I've got a couple of spare flaps (it says a lot about my cats when I need to keep them in stock Rolling Eyes) so I'll probably fit one over the weekend.

Ian
Ian B
Ian B
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Jojolabanane Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:02 pm

What a great idea! Why hadn't I thought of that before? We are forever leaving doors ajar so the kitties can access different parts of the house and I would much rather be able to have the doors shut (if only to hide away the junk we have accummulated over the years). That sounds worse than it actually is - but closed doors certainlly make a place look tidier as well as keeping it warmer in winter months.

Joanne
Jojolabanane
Jojolabanane
Champion Cat!
Champion Cat!

Number of posts : 604
Cat(s): : Bonnie and Malo
Registration date : 2010-06-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian B Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:06 pm

Hi Joanne,

It's just the living room door with me, especially during winter. Even then I leave the door slightly ajar with enough room for them to squeeze thro' the gap, the rest aren't so bad but Bola will insist on pushing it wide open with his paws. I wouldn't mind so much if he came in and stayed a while, but more often than not he waits till I've just sat down before pulling the door open again on his way out...........it drives me up the wall Indoor cat flaps? (Done) 975384 Laughing

Ian
Ian B
Ian B
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian B Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:25 pm

I got round to fitting it earlier, and I won't lie, after 5 minutes I wished I'd never started.............

These are council property and genuine Jerry built with original doors, and while the panels are plywood of some sort I'd love to know which sort of wood they were made from. I'm pretty sure if the Titanic had been built of this plywood the iceberg would have shattered on impact and the Titanic still sailing today Shocked

I'm a cack handed DIY'er which didn't help, nor did my having the correct tools, before I'd finished I'd broken 3 drill bits and 2 jig saw blades Indoor cat flaps? (Done) 975384 Indoor cat flaps? (Done) 265331 Twisted Evil

The end result (2 and 1/2 hours work) isn't bad, tho' the cats are a bit baffled by it. Max was the first to use it, he sneaked into the living room while the door was open and used the flap to get out..................but sat there and yowled his head off when he wanted to come back in after I'd sat down for a rest.

Dexter took to it straight away, Buddy needed a bit of persuading while both Bola and Fudge took one look then went and sat outside in the pouring rain, no doubt in protest at all the noise (and cursing Laughing) tho' Bola has used it since.

If anyone else is thinking of doing the same thing, I'd first check to see if there are such things as flaps for interior doors as I needed to chop a bit of mine to get a flush fit. Anyhow, here's the result

Indoor cat flaps? (Done) Cat_fl10

For all it was far harder to do than I anticipated, I can see it being very useful come winter Very Happy Indoor cat flaps? (Done) 579159

Ian
Ian B
Ian B
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Jojolabanane Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:47 pm

Have to say it looks like a good job well done. However, appreciate the acknowledgement of how difficult a task it can be, as it has highlighted to me that we might not have the right sort of doors to accommodate cat flaps. Will have to consider the option carefully.

Joanne
Jojolabanane
Jojolabanane
Champion Cat!
Champion Cat!

Number of posts : 604
Cat(s): : Bonnie and Malo
Registration date : 2010-06-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian B Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:21 pm

Hi Joanne,

Thanks, it looks ok..............till you look closely that is, but there's nothing wrong that won't be easily remedied the next time the door is painted.

Most modern doors should be ok as they're usually a set depth, whereas the panels on mine are only half as deep as the door itself. I had to trim the self lining bit off one side of the flap to get a flush fit, I only wish doing the rest had been as easy as that.

I'm glad I've done it now as it'll come in very handy when the weather gets colder, plus I can now leave any of them in the living room when I go to bed, all I have to do is set it to exit only.

Ian
Ian B
Ian B
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Teddy Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:42 pm

Looks good Ian, Steve reckons the doors are pitched pine, really hard wood that wears well.
Teddy
Teddy
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Number of posts : 10805
Cat(s): : Moto & Sophie

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian B Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:25 am

Teddy wrote:Looks good Ian, Steve reckons the doors are pitched pine, really hard wood that wears well.
Your doors or mine, Kath? The outer part of mine may be pitched pine, but I doubt the panels are as they're plywood of some sort.

Ian
Ian B
Ian B
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Teddy Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:59 pm

yours, ours are oak veneers. Couldn't afford the real deal. Laughing
Teddy
Teddy
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian B Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:45 pm

I forgot about this till just now............

A drawback became clear at silly o'clock this morning. I'd shut all the doors downstairs before going to bed and had set the new flap to exit only in case one of them was hiding in the living room. Max came in and woke me by scratching like a madcat at the flap trying to get in to his box on the chair Rolling Eyes

Ian
Ian B
Ian B
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian B Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:48 am

I left Max asleep in his box on a chair last night with the flap set to exit only when I went to bed, only to be woken at silly o'clock by him doing the same with this flap as the one on the back door, mad scratching at it instead of just pushing it open with his head/paws Rolling Eyes

Ian
Ian B
Ian B
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Teddy Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:32 am

Seems a bit slow does Max Laughing hopefully for your sake he'll cotton on to it soon.
Teddy
Teddy
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down