For The Love of Cats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Covered cat flaps/poorly ginger tom

4 posters

Go down

Covered cat flaps/poorly ginger tom Empty Covered cat flaps/poorly ginger tom

Post by Ian B Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:59 am

As Bola and the rest just barge thro' it without looking, I'm thinking about putting something dark coloured over the flap itself (on the inside) I don't think not being able to see thro' the clear plastic will bother them as they *know* what's on the other side, but it may well stop any unwanted visitors using it if they can't see thro' it.....................hopefully, it may work Laughing

Ian

Last edited by Ian B on Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Ian B
Ian B
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Number of posts : 9110
Cat(s): : Fudge, Bola, Buddy, Max........and several guests
Registration date : 2008-04-06

Back to top Go down

Covered cat flaps/poorly ginger tom Empty Re: Covered cat flaps/poorly ginger tom

Post by Teddy Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:20 am

it will confuse them to start with though as they may wonder what is at the otherside, ok they know, but they will be perplexed. Laughing As in what the hell has happened to the outside? I would think though once they know nothing has changed it will work fine. You've nothing to lose by trying.
Teddy
Teddy
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Number of posts : 10805
Cat(s): : Moto & Sophie

Back to top Go down

Covered cat flaps/poorly ginger tom Empty Re: Covered cat flaps/poorly ginger tom

Post by Ian B Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:31 pm

I've got some wide parcel tape, so I'll start with some of that stuck right down the middle of the flap. There'll be enough of a gap either side for them to peep thro', but perhaps not enough for any *visitors* to risk coming in.

Ian
Ian B
Ian B
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian B Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:22 pm

I put a strip of parcel tape down the middle of the flap and it's not been used since, tho' I think the fact that the poorly ginger and white has been sprawled over the doorstep for ages might have something to do with that.

On a side note, I hope I'm wrong, but it seems like this cat has started to go downhill, it looks to me as tho' he's now got tremors of some kind, nothing major but still there. He's also retching a bit too much for comfort, again, nothing major as he's not being sick and his appetite is as good as ever. His eyes still tell me he's in no pain and he purrs like a madcat when fed/stroked, but he surely can't have long left, in fact I'd probably make *that* decision now if he was mine.

Ian
Ian B
Ian B
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Teddy Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:08 pm

Going by what you say, I agree, retching is painful never mind anything else he's to contend with, there is only so much that's acceptable before you have to stop being selfish and put the poor thing to sleep. Even if he doesn't look as though he's in pain, I would think he is. Sam purred right up to the end, but it still had to be done. Poor thing, my heart goes out to him.
Teddy
Teddy
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian B Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:50 pm

Hi Kath,

It's more belching than retching, like his last meal is repeating on him. For all his problems he does seem happy enough atm, but I know I'd be thinking enough was enough now as it can't be long before it's obvious he's suffering.

Ian
Ian B
Ian B
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by *Prince* Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:07 pm

Oh no. Poor fella. Have to agree, there comes a time when "our" feelings have to be put aside and have them at peace. God am so upset thinking about him. No
*Prince*
*Prince*
Cat-mad!
Cat-mad!

Number of posts : 3971
Cat(s): : Prince
Registration date : 2008-04-24

Back to top Go down

Post by *Prince* Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:10 pm

Hmmm, just lost a post, but what I said was, as for the blacking-out of the cat flap - that wouldnt be an issue with Princeys as it is so minging filthy you cannae see through it anyhoo! Covered cat flaps/poorly ginger tom 43453
*Prince*
*Prince*
Cat-mad!
Cat-mad!

Back to top Go down

Post by Teddy Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:37 pm

*Prince* wrote:Hmmm, just lost a post, but what I said was, as for the blacking-out of the cat flap - that wouldnt be an issue with Princeys as it is so minging filthy you cannae see through it anyhoo! Covered cat flaps/poorly ginger tom 43453

same here but they still sit and look out of it. Laughing
Teddy
Teddy
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian B Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:49 am

Teddy wrote:
*Prince* wrote:Hmmm, just lost a post, but what I said was, as for the blacking-out of the cat flap - that wouldnt be an issue with Princeys as it is so minging filthy you cannae see through it anyhoo! Covered cat flaps/poorly ginger tom 43453

same here but they still sit and look out of it. Laughing
It was the fact that mine is uber filthy that gave me the idea of blacking it out Embarassed Laughing Thinking about it, even tho' cats have good eyesight at night, they couldn't see much thro' the flap but they still use it in the early hours, so covering it during the day probably wouldn't make much difference.

Ian
Ian B
Ian B
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Teddy Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:45 am

so we're all mingers where cat flaps and cleanliness is concerned, phew so glad about that. Laughing
Yes Ian I would say it's not going top make any difference to them.
Teddy
Teddy
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian B Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:39 am

There's certainly nothing wrong with the poorly ginger toms appetite, he's just finished off two satchets in no time and is sat there wanting more Laughing The poor lad keeps trying to come in every time I open the door tho', I can do without a cat in his condition trying to adopt me, tho' tbh, I don't suppose his owners would mind one bit if someone else took responsibilty for him.

I can't see money being a problem for this family in having him PTS, if it was I''d willingly split the cost with them, but this isn't the sort of thing you mention to people you've barely spoken to is it?

Ian
Ian B
Ian B
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by maddymoo Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:49 pm

Poor GT. Its good to hear he still finds ample enjoyment in his food tho! lol
maddymoo
maddymoo
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Number of posts : 5888
Cat(s): : Maddison and Bramble

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian B Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:22 pm

The poorly tom was sprawled on my doorstep from around 8am till mid afternoon, he so wants to come in but that's a big no-no, he can have as much food as he can eat, but that's it.

He amazed me earlier tho', not to mention making me feel even sorrier for him, but I was playing with Bola and Buddy with the fishing rod toy, turned round to find him there wanting to join in. He made a couple of feeble attempts to get a paw on the string as I pulled it past, but it was pathetic, and very, very sad to see.

Ian
Ian B
Ian B
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by *Prince* Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:13 pm

Oh poor Poorly Ginger Boy. No Its heartbreaking, but also lovely that he still has his spirit, to "try".
*Prince*
*Prince*
Cat-mad!
Cat-mad!

Back to top Go down

Post by maddymoo Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:20 pm

Awwww, I second what Nicki says... poorly wee fella, I guess its getting nearer to 'that' time for him.
maddymoo
maddymoo
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian B Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:38 pm

He's been as different again today, obviously still poorly looking, but he sat there and gave his face a good wash after eating, not something a cat would bother about if it was feeling really ill. He's still bright eyed and happy enough, it's just a shame the rest of him looks so awful.

Ian
Ian B
Ian B
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian B Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:52 am

I put breakfast down for Bola earlier then heard the flap go. It had been opened clumsily so thought it was Buddy coming in, but when I checked the ginger tom with cancer had *invited* himself in. As he's deaf there was no point telling him to go so I just waved an arm about and he understood Laughing

That's the first time in a long, long time he's used the flap so the poor lad must have been hungry. I can tell by the way he sits on the doorstep at times it isn't food he's after, he wants to come in, but that's a big no-no I'm afraid.

If I knew for certain which vets his *owners* used, and it wasn't my vets, it's crossed my mind my mind to take him to mine at some point and tell them he'd got cancer but had been abandoned and ask them to put him to sleep, then bring him home and tell his owners I'd found him dead in my garden or shed. Doing that without knowing is too much of a risk in case my vets recognise him and let his owners know.

Ian
Ian B
Ian B
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Teddy Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:47 am

kindly thought, but risky, but the poor thing shouldn't be left like this, I can't understand his owners being so selfish, or are they so stupid that they can't see what's happening to him.
Teddy
Teddy
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian B Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:55 am

I suspect a lot of both tbh Kath. They're well aware he has cancer, it was they who told me and they must see he's going downhill, even if not rapidly.

It's the way he just sits there and looks at me when the others troop in and out at will. He must be able to get in at home at some point during the day, otherwise he'd be sat on my doorstep all day, but it's not pleasant looking at those please-can-I-to-come-in eyes.

Ian
Ian B
Ian B
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Teddy Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:02 am

oh god now that would tug at my heart strings. I wonder if his owners are just not prepared to pay to have him pts. Some people will not pay vets fees no matter what.
Teddy
Teddy
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian B Sat Sep 26, 2009 10:08 am

If that would tug at your heartstrings Kath, this would yank them.

I left the door ajar this morning as I was out trying to persuade Fudge to come in, went back into the kitchen to find the poorly ginger tom had invited himself in........................and the first thing he did when he saw me was roll over on his back for a belly rub.

He got one, but it's not nice on a cat who's lost so much weight, it was like giving a belly rub to a skeleton Crying or Very sad He loved it tho' Very Happy

Ian
Ian B
Ian B
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by maddymoo Sat Sep 26, 2009 1:47 pm

No The poor fella, my heart just did a somersault for him. I guess we can only hope that his owners do the right thing soon, of course if he's rarely going home, they may assume he's happy elsewhere... or yep, they are just stupid and selfish... sad heart now getting mad... Why do people do this!? I mean, surely they must have teken him to the vets at one point to get him diagnosed? I guess some people think if they aint rolling around screaming then they aint suffering... poor poor fella... you don't know anyone who shoots do you? (don't hate me for that question, its just it would cross my mind.. don't hate me for that either lol)
maddymoo
maddymoo
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian B Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:30 pm

If I thought I could *get away* with it, I've have him PTS myself. That said, he's clearly happy enough and still doing all the same things he's ever done, it's just that he looks so rough. If he felt really bad he'd surely want to be alone somewhere?

He's been sat on my back doorstep since at least 6.30am today, normally he wanders off an hour or so after being fed, but with it being weekend (treat time) he had ordinary catfood and some raw mince and a bit of cooked chicken, so I can't blame him staying. I don't get why he doesn't use the flap anymore tho', even when it's unlocked he waits till the door is open before wandering in now.

Ian
Ian B
Ian B
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by maddymoo Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:51 pm

Bless him, he wants his treats! Yes, it is good to know he still enjoys his food! lol
maddymoo
maddymoo
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down