For The Love of Cats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A new flap (Tatty returns)

2 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

A new flap (Tatty returns) Empty A new flap (Tatty returns)

Post by Ian B Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:38 am

It was fitted yesterday after the old one was broke by the black cat bolting through it after I caught him spraying and let him know I wasn't pleased by throwing a cushion at him. Luckily, I managed to find just the spare flaps this time instead of buying the whole thing.

I wasn't expecting any problems, but Fudge and Max are reluctant to use it and Stripey refuses to, I'm guessing because being brand new it's still a little stiff, coupled with it being spotless/as clear as glass with no scratches yet. They probably can't understand why their noses hit something solid in what looks like a empty space to them Laughing

Ian

Last edited by Ian B on Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ian B
Ian B
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Number of posts : 9110
Cat(s): : Fudge, Bola, Buddy, Max........and several guests
Registration date : 2008-04-06

Back to top Go down

A new flap (Tatty returns) Empty Re: A new flap (Tatty returns)

Post by Teddy Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:39 am

Yeah, too new too clean, rub some dirt on it and they'll be happier with it. Laughing
Teddy
Teddy
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Number of posts : 10805
Cat(s): : Moto & Sophie

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian B Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:53 am

Not a chance, if it keeps them out it might well do the same for the two black cats who have started sneaking in.

Ian

Last edited by Ian B on Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Ian B
Ian B
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian B Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:31 pm

I've not seen Stripey since last night, I hope he hasn't called and thought he was locked out.

Ian
Ian B
Ian B
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Teddy Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:26 pm

oh he'll be back. A new flap (Tatty returns) 579159
Teddy
Teddy
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian B Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:29 am

He was waiting downstairs today so he came in after I'd gone to bed. He's just eaten his brekkie then finished Bola and Max's off and he's now half way thro' a chicken wing, hunger must have conquered his fear of the new flap Laughing

Ian
Ian B
Ian B
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian B Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:15 am

Not happy, 2 nights running neither Bola or Max have come in after I've gone to bed.

I'm up before the birds today as this is so out of character for both of them I wanted to make sure they were about and safe. They were, waiting to come in, but they wouldn't use the new flap till I encouraged them and this happening so soon after it was fitted can't be just coincidence, tho' the warm and dry weather may have something to do with it. Bola has just had a bit of brekkie before going back out, strange that they're seemingly happy enough to use it to go out, but not come in confused

Fudge stayed out all night as well, tho' this isn't unusual for her, but like Bola she had a bite to eat before dashing back out.

On the bright side, neither tatty-eared-tom or the other black cat have tried to come in tho' while I've seen the second cat hanging around my garden I've not seen tatty for nearly 3 days now.

Ian
Ian B
Ian B
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian B Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:26 pm

Still no sign of tatty or the other black cat trying the new flap, no sign of tatty at all tbh, so something good has come out of it being broken Laughing

Ian
Ian B
Ian B
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian B Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:42 am

The new flap is proving too effective at keeping cats out if anything as out of my lot only Max will use it normally.

I haven't timed it, but I reckon Bola has been in the house for maybe an hour out of the past 48 so he's not been eating or drinking here, and for a cat with a good appetite this is puzzling confused Stripey refused to use it to come in again last night and I found Fudge peeping thro' it today.

I've not seen much of Bola outside either, which is a bit worrying tho' if he's getting fed elsewhere I'm in no position to complain. Hopefully it's just the weather that is dulling his appetite, but I haven't a clue as to where he's started disappearing to, beyond heading in the direction of the road Bobcat lives/lived on.

Ian
Ian B
Ian B
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Teddy Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:21 pm

Oh I hate that when they start acting out of character. I doubt it's the flap that's keeping Bola out all this time, could just be the warm weather and he's on his adventures.
Teddy
Teddy
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian B Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:09 am

Yeah, most likely the weather Kath.

I was wary about him going out again when he came upstairs after I'd gone to bed as I noticed his collar looked very loose, it's the elastic/quick release type and when I pulled it to check just how loose it was it came apart in my hand.

I assumed the fastener was knackered but when I checked it also had a thin bit of elestic holding the two ends together and that had snapped. For the life of me I can't understand why on a quick release elastic collar it *needs* yet more elastic to hold it together confused Anyway, he's got a spare downstairs but I wasn't getting up at that time to put it on, so for the first time he was out most of the night collarless, tho' he was ok and was there when I woke up today.

I suppose it was lucky I tested it as a good scratch would probably have snapped the weak elastic and it would have been lost forever. I've managed to bodge a repair today with a bit of plastic coated wire which should hold till I get around to buying a new one. I'm loathe to use the spare as a everyday collar as it was expensive and he's already lost two of them.

Still no sign of tatty-eared-tom, I hope he's ok wherever he is.

Ian
Ian B
Ian B
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian B Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:18 am

Stripey managed to use the flap all by himself at silly o'clock last night but then found himself locked out of the living and dining rooms so couldn't get at the dry food bowl in the former. I knew he'd come in as he wandered upstairs and woke me by filling his face from the dry food bowl on my bed at 2.30am Rolling Eyes

Ian
Ian B
Ian B
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Teddy Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:36 am

Is the collar just worn, elastic wears very quickly, out in all weathers, dry one minute wet the next, could easily just be time to change it.

Wonder where tatty is, hate it when they just disappear.
Teddy
Teddy
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian B Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:07 am

Teddy wrote:Is the collar just worn, elastic wears very quickly, out in all weathers, dry one minute wet the next, could easily just be time to change it.
It's about 6 months old, if that, so shouldn't be worn out. I think it's down to the amount of scratching it gets when he needs to sort a itch out. His claws are sharp and he doesn't muck about with them, even on himself Laughing

Wonder where tatty is, hate it when they just disappear.
Yeah, it's strange him suddenly stopping calling like this, but he seemed to have managed ok before finding my flap so hopefully he's ok wherever he is.

Ian
Ian B
Ian B
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian B Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:56 pm

And still no sign of tatty-eared-tom.

I suppose he could have gone back to his old routine before he found my garden then flap, but it seems unlikely when he knew he'd at least get food here. It's nearly a week since I last saw him, I just hope he's ok and not another visitor who's just gone missing for no reason that I'm aware of.

Ian
Ian B
Ian B
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian B Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:22 am

I'm seeing less and less of the other black cat now so the new flap is accidentally doing a good job of keeping him out, but still no sign of tatty-eared-tom.

Ian
Ian B
Ian B
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian B Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:02 am

Still no sign of tatty-eared-tom. I just hope he's ok and has gone back to his old routine before he found my garden, but I suspect the worst as he became such a regular visitor here.

Ian
Ian B
Ian B
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Teddy Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:41 am

Seems like another one who was just passing through. I suppose this will happen especially when you live in such a high populated area, cats will come and go but it doesn't make it any easier does it, would still like to know what's happened. Just reminds me of Buddy. No
Teddy
Teddy
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian B Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:48 am

Going just by looks I'd say he was an old timer Kath, and one who'd hadn't had an easy life at that, so it wouldn't surprise me to find out he was dead. He was guaranteed food here and knew it, so there must be a reason he's stopped calling.

Ian
Ian B
Ian B
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian B Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:32 am

I spotted Bola strolling past the living room door last night as I lay on the sofa, he went up to my bedroom, I guess to have a munch on the dry food there then came down a few minutes later and strolled past me on the way out.

I thought it a bit odd him not coming to say hello so I got up to go out and see if he was ok. He was fine, sat at the bottom of the garden, but sat nearer the flap was the second of my unwanted visitors, licking his lips as well so it seems he's got over his fear of using the new flap. It's getting a bit grubby so I'll give it a good wipe down later, but if that doesn't work, it was good while it lasted.

Ian
Ian B
Ian B
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian B Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:30 pm

I don't know for sure, but by the way Bola came haring in thro' the flap and dashed upstairs earlier it seems like he tried to earn his corn at last by having a go at the second unwanted visitor..........and wished he hadn't. That he came back down and followed me outside when I went to cherck what, if anything, had scared him like that and my seeing the visitor legging it suggests that's what happened.

So much for Bola being the neighbourhood bully Laughing

Ian
Ian B
Ian B
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian B Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:05 am

They were all out when I went to bed last night so couldn't lock the flap, even tho' the visitor was hanging about at the bottom of the garden. He might think because he's black and it was dark I couldn't see him, but I could see the light from the kitchen reflecting in his eyes as I opened the door Laughing Just to be on the safe side I put a bit of dry food down in the hope that would stop him coming in.

It seems to have worked as I was only disturbed by Dexter at 2am, but none of the others, in fact Bola, Fudge and Max were sheltering under my fir tree when I opened my bedroom curtains today, so it looks like they'd been out all night confused That mystery was solved when I found the young cat from across the road sat on the doorstep when I got downstairs, tho' why Dexter can get past her and they can't is another puzzle confused

Ian
Ian B
Ian B
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Teddy Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:38 am

Don't think that will work Ian, he's got over it now and quite comfortable, so looks like he's back to stay, Wink
Teddy
Teddy
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian B Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:50 am

I'm tempted to set the flap so he can get in but not out, then give him a good dousing in the kitchen, tho' he seems so determined I doubt even that would put him off for long.

Ian
Ian B
Ian B
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Teddy Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:25 am

I've tried that with Moto A new flap (Tatty returns) 43453 well I didn't shut him in the kitchen but I have tried the water and nooooo it didn't work, he came back for more. Laughing
Teddy
Teddy
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next