For The Love of Cats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I've been doing it all wrong.

+2
Ian B
Teddy
6 posters

Go down

I've been doing it all wrong. Empty I've been doing it all wrong.

Post by Teddy Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:56 am

The book that I mentioned yesterday *Psycho Kitty*, my new bible, was saying that I should totally ignore the kittens when I walk into the room, don't look at them, sit down read a book and ignore them. Let them come to me, and show them that I am not a threat. Now that makes sense because when I do go into their room and I don't look at them or speak, they don't hiss. Oh bejeezus, I've wasted 3 weeks. It didn't mention how long this should go on, but with these two it could be forever.
Teddy
Teddy
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Number of posts : 10805
Cat(s): : Moto & Sophie
Registration date : 2008-04-06

Back to top Go down

I've been doing it all wrong. Empty Re: I've been doing it all wrong.

Post by Ian B Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:13 am

You never know Kath, this could well be the *magic* you've been hoping for, and could be worth persevering with for as long as they are with you.

Ian
Ian B
Ian B
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Number of posts : 9110
Cat(s): : Fudge, Bola, Buddy, Max........and several guests

Back to top Go down

Post by Teddy Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:17 am

Ian B wrote:You never know Kath, this could well be the *magic* you've been hoping for, and could be worth persevering with for as long as they are with you.

Ian

Do I tell Linda she's doing it all wrong or not? Laughing oh the dilemma. Laughing She is still trying to hold Lucy, which isn't going well. I will call her tonight and tell her what I've been reading.
Teddy
Teddy
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by *Prince* Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:52 am

Yep - makes complete sense - like using "reverse psychology" on kids!
Fingers crossed you might make a little headway!
*Prince*
*Prince*
Cat-mad!
Cat-mad!

Number of posts : 3971
Cat(s): : Prince
Registration date : 2008-04-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Teddy Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:14 pm

*Prince* wrote:Yep - makes complete sense - like using "reverse psychology" on kids!
Fingers crossed you might make a little headway!

It tells you to *think like a cat*, put yourself in it's postion. I did say to Steve they don't hiss if I don't speak to them, but natural instinct makes me say *hello babies* everytime I enter the room. Completely aff my heid. I've been doing it all wrong. 43453
Teddy
Teddy
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by pokbg Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:26 pm

Yup... that might work... it certainly used to work with the very first cat we had in Norway... if the house was full, one could be certain that the person she sussed out would be my partenal grandmother, as she was the only one ignoring the cat (she didn't like cats)... everyone else rubbing hands on the floor and talking to the kitty was ignored... whereas my grandmother who wouldn't even look at the little princess was the one that ended up with her on the lap! lol!

So best of luck - here's hopign it will work!
pokbg
pokbg
Cat-mad!
Cat-mad!

Number of posts : 4533
Cat(s): : Pok m/4, BG f/2
Registration date : 2008-04-07

https://love4cats.darkbb.com/portal.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by *Prince* Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:29 pm

pokbg wrote:Yup... that might work... it certainly used to work with the very first cat we had in Norway... if the house was full, one could be certain that the person she sussed out would be my partenal grandmother, as she was the only one ignoring the cat (she didn't like cats)... everyone else rubbing hands on the floor and talking to the kitty was ignored... whereas my grandmother who wouldn't even look at the little princess was the one that ended up with her on the lap! lol!

So best of luck - here's hopign it will work!

HA! So true! My mum used to be, not afraid of cats, but was very wary of them, and would never go near one. When I got my first cat Pebbles, mum was the one Pebbles would go to - exactly like Pokbg's grandmother, much to my mums disdain!
Well, in the end, Pebbles went to live with mum and dad, as when my ex and I separated, I moved into a city flat and didnt want Pebbles to be an indoor cat when she had always had her freedom.
She ended up spending more years of her life happy with my mum and dad, than she did with me! Mum spoilt her more than even I did, with fresh meat and 4 wee meals a day!
Anyhoo, sorry I digressed there! I've been doing it all wrong. 43453
*Prince*
*Prince*
Cat-mad!
Cat-mad!

Number of posts : 3971
Cat(s): : Prince
Registration date : 2008-04-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Teddy Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:39 pm

Anyhoo, sorry I digressed there! I've been doing it all wrong. 43453
[/quote]

Just a tad, but am into my first glass of red, feeling very chilled out, so I forgive you. LOL Anyway I love reading cat stories. Very Happy
Teddy
Teddy
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by maddymoo Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:12 pm

That makes perfect sense! Ever noticed how cats tend to go to the one person in the room that dislikes them? Apparently its because they avert their eyes and look away, which is like an invitation to come to them, to a cat. LOL
maddymoo
maddymoo
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Number of posts : 5888
Cat(s): : Maddison and Bramble

Back to top Go down

Post by Teddy Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:37 pm

Aye and here's me being nice, *hello babies, how you doin* and all the time the little buggers are stressed to the hilt. I-will-never-understand-cats. LOL
Teddy
Teddy
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Ceri Sat Sep 06, 2008 12:48 am

Hmmm interesting stuff! Well worth a try anyway, sounds like it may well work!

Ceri
Kitty-Chatter
Kitty-Chatter

Number of posts : 260
Cat(s): : Moli, Misty & Monty
Registration date : 2008-04-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Teddy Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:48 am

ROFL they haven't read the book. So in I goes with their food, I don't look at them, I do speak quietly and they hiss. They hiss when I put their food down ( no where near them), they hiss when I clean their tray and they even hiss when I turn away from them and leave the room. I reckon their time is up, a nice friendly steading where they will be fed regularly and warm when they need to be, is the best possible outcome. Rolling Eyes
Teddy
Teddy
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Ceri Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:55 am

Oh dear, the rascals - do they produce that book in cat language for them?? Wink

Seriously though it must be so dishearting for you when you try everything and they are still so wild
No

Ceri
Kitty-Chatter
Kitty-Chatter

Number of posts : 260
Cat(s): : Moli, Misty & Monty
Registration date : 2008-04-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Teddy Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:59 am

It is and it isn't, I didn't hold out much hope of getting these two to a stage where they could be homed into a family, they were a little bit too old and they were very scared and hissy, LOL but it is possible to feed them from my hand and stroke them, but they don't like it, you can see how unsettled they are. But they'll be fine, the girl that re-homes ferals/semi ferals is so good and aai am sure she'll get somewhere.
Teddy
Teddy
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by maddymoo Sat Sep 06, 2008 12:57 pm

Take the book in with you, LOL! Sit down quietly and have a read? Then accidently leave the book there so they can have a look too.... hmm, actually maybe they have read the book and are trying a bit of reverse pyschology on you! lol

Oh no-one can say you haven't tried everything Kath, if they don't want to, they won't. (((hugs)))
maddymoo
maddymoo
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Teddy Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:59 pm

maddymoo wrote:Take the book in with you, LOL! Sit down quietly and have a read? Then accidently leave the book there so they can have a look too.... hmm, actually maybe they have read the book and are trying a bit of reverse pyschology on you! lol

Oh no-one can say you haven't tried everything Kath, if they don't want to, they won't. (((hugs)))

They don't want to Helen, unfortunately others want them to, sometimes people just don't listen to our cats. LOL
Teddy
Teddy
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by maddymoo Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:13 am

Teddy wrote:
maddymoo wrote:Take the book in with you, LOL! Sit down quietly and have a read? Then accidently leave the book there so they can have a look too.... hmm, actually maybe they have read the book and are trying a bit of reverse pyschology on you! lol

They don't want to Helen, unfortunately others want them to, sometimes people just don't listen to our cats. LOL

LOL, thats my fav phrase on a Monday 'I don't want to!' Awww, bless their antisocial little hearts. They're tough little mites, they'll be just as happy on say a farm or somewhere having their own freedom, as one of ours curled up on a blankee. Oddly, the feralness (If thats even a word lol) makes me like them even more!
maddymoo
maddymoo
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Teddy Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:41 pm

maddymoo wrote:
Teddy wrote:

LOL, thats my fav phrase on a Monday 'I don't want to!' Awww, bless their antisocial little hearts. They're tough little mites, they'll be just as happy on say a farm or somewhere having their own freedom, as one of ours curled up on a blankee. Oddly, the feralness (If thats even a word lol) makes me like them even more!

I know exactly what you mean, it's almost as though they are thumbing their noses at me, saying *good god woman, just take us to a farm*, LOL They are quite independent little toots, am sure they will be just fine.
Teddy
Teddy
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down