For The Love of Cats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Back from vet

+5
pokbg
Gilly
Teddy
Ian B
Chunkyboy
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Back from vet Empty Back from vet

Post by Chunkyboy Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:53 pm

Well folks, unfortunately things arent as great as we had hoped they would be.
His knee is still very unstable, although, as the vet said "this cat is in no pain", as he allowed him to manipulate the leg without crying out, or tightening up etc.
Soooooooooo, although we can let him out of the cage whilst we are there, we have to continue to treat him conservatively for the next 3 weeks, and just keep our eye on him that he doesnt jump up on things (easier said than done eh Rolling Eyes ).
Really dont know if I can cope with going up to Scotland for xmas now, as it is a big responsibility for our neighbour, and i just dont have the 100% trust that she would be able to cope if anything went wrong. I would spend the whole week worried sick.
Feel totally rubbish at the moment tbh, as I just want my boy to be ok. Back from vet 975384
Chunkyboy
Chunkyboy
Champion Cat!
Champion Cat!

Number of posts : 614
Cat(s): : Prince
Registration date : 2008-12-10

Back to top Go down

Back from vet Empty Re: Back from vet

Post by Ian B Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:12 pm

Shame the news isn't better, but the chances are he'll be fine with your neighbour while you are away. As long as he's kept in the cage for most of the day, he'll miss you more than having his freedom and will most likely want to stay in his cage anyway if he's in a strange house.

It won't stop you worrying about him, but you do that as things stand when you're not there.

Ian
Ian B
Ian B
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Number of posts : 9110
Cat(s): : Fudge, Bola, Buddy, Max........and several guests
Registration date : 2008-04-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Chunkyboy Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:36 pm

Thanx for your support Ian. Yes you are right, I do worry about him wherever I am eh!
He wouldnt be going next door Ian. He normally just stays at home, and Sindy goes in and out to feed/see him. Such a quandry!
Chunkyboy
Chunkyboy
Champion Cat!
Champion Cat!

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian B Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:48 pm

Ah, that's different, he's most likely to get very bored in his cage and with hardly seeing anybody, he could easily get frustrated and struggle to get out. Could he not stay next door? I know it'd be a strange house, but if they could find a quiet place for him, he'd at least hear people moving about/talking/etc.

Ian
Ian B
Ian B
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Number of posts : 9110
Cat(s): : Fudge, Bola, Buddy, Max........and several guests

Back to top Go down

Post by Chunkyboy Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:11 pm

Staying next door wouldnt be an option Ian. The hubby aint an animal lover AT ALL!
Maybe by the 24th (when we are supposed to be flying!) things might have progressed, who knows *shrugs shoulders*
Chunkyboy
Chunkyboy
Champion Cat!
Champion Cat!

Back to top Go down

Post by Teddy Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:26 pm

Nicki, is it possible for you to clear one room of all high things so Prince can't jump up all the time , give him his tray and bed and one chair beside a windowsill so that he can still look out but the height of the chair and the sill is as high as he can go.
If it is, tell your neighbour that Prince has to stay in that room when she isn't there. He'll have his toys and she can leave a radio on for him ( noise, not totally quite) and he'll sleep, it will still be more interesting than it's been for the last 2 weeks stuck in a cage. Just a thought.
Sorry it's not beter news, I was so hoping it would be more encouraging, but he;'s not in pain and that is good newsw. x
Teddy
Teddy
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Number of posts : 10805
Cat(s): : Moto & Sophie

Back to top Go down

Post by Gilly Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:34 pm

Is there no way you could take him with you? Travel up with him in his carrier and keep him in his crate whilst you are at your family's house?

Kath's idea could work too......as long as you can trust your neighbour to stick to the instructions and she knows that he must NOT be allowed to jump or charge about Very Happy
Gilly
Gilly
Cat-mad!
Cat-mad!

Number of posts : 2024
Cat(s): : Thomas, Misty & Tiger Lily
Registration date : 2008-04-11

Back to top Go down

Post by pokbg Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:19 pm

Oh... not the best of news... but good news that the leg isn't casuing Prince any pain... give the gorgeous boy a little snugle from me.

Afraid there' no more ideas from here then what is already written for the Scotland trip... fingers crossed Prince will be fine by then, though, and you won't have to worry.
pokbg
pokbg
Cat-mad!
Cat-mad!

Number of posts : 4533
Cat(s): : Pok m/4, BG f/2
Registration date : 2008-04-07

https://love4cats.darkbb.com/portal.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by littlekitty Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:27 pm

Sorry to hear that the news wasn't what you wanted to hear Nicki, but at least prince isn't in pain.
Can't really suggest anything else for when you go away, just hope that princey will be ok, what ever you decide.
littlekitty
littlekitty
Cat-mad!
Cat-mad!

Number of posts : 2788
Cat(s): : Buddy and Mary

http://www.cats2crafts.com

Back to top Go down

Post by maddymoo Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:30 pm

Oh Nicki, I'm sorry it isn't better news. I wish I lived nearer as could say 'drop him off at mine'. Yes, he prob will get a bit frantic, but will soon settle and if there's just your neighbour coming in a couple times a day to feed him, he'll just curl up and spend most of his time asleep with no distractions. I would do as Kath says and confine him to one room with his tray, food and comfy bed, or although he'll be miserable, I may be tempted to keep in the cage in that one room (with all the jumpy stuff cleared out), so that you know when there's no one there, he can't cause any harm to his leg, and if in that one room, your neighbour can let him out when she changes his litter, etc. and put him back in when she leaves.

You'll worry about your boy no matter what, so you may as well know that he can't jump up anywhere. He'll be fine, you go to Scotland Nicki and just stress to your neighbour to call at any time she's unsure. x
maddymoo
maddymoo
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Number of posts : 5888
Cat(s): : Maddison and Bramble

Back to top Go down

Post by Laura Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:54 pm

I'm with Gilly, take him with you (if you can). I took Percy to Simon's Aunt's last Christmas and he was absolutely fine. And if he's in his cage he'll be even safer. I know you've mentioned flying but is there anyway you could drive? I know it's a LONG way.

Poor Prince, and poor you! xx
Laura
Laura
Champion Cat!
Champion Cat!

Number of posts : 802
Cat(s): : Percy

Back to top Go down

Post by *Prince* Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:10 pm

We are just going to stay at home. I would just be too worried, and wouldnt enjoy my time up there anyway. We were flying, and it is almost 11 hours in the car, so would not have relished that thought, plus theres so many people going to be around, it would freak him out being caged in somewhere strange with all that going on.
Its proving very hard to keep him from investigating "high things". Little bugger! We are having to keep the kitchen and bathroom and spare room completely off limits ie, doors closed at all times, as there are too many high things, window ledges etc.
Poor fella is really fed up, but it must be an improvement to the cage!
Family are disappointed obviously, as are we, but its just one of those things. Not everyone will understand, and some of you would do things differently, but I know its the best for us.
Thanx for all your thoughts and ideas though my lovelies. xx
*Prince*
*Prince*
Cat-mad!
Cat-mad!

Number of posts : 3971
Registration date : 2008-04-24

Back to top Go down

Post by pokbg Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:22 pm

Oh Nicki.... lots of hugs to you!!!! And even though I do not agree with your decicion, as it means you missing out on Christmas with your family... I completely understand, and would probably have done the same in your shoes... (((((hugs)))))
pokbg
pokbg
Cat-mad!
Cat-mad!

Number of posts : 4533
Cat(s): : Pok m/4, BG f/2
Registration date : 2008-04-07

https://love4cats.darkbb.com/portal.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by maddymoo Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:12 pm

Oh Nicki ((((hugs)))) I'm sure you can get pet carriers that you can take on as hand luggage on planes (can't remember if saw it on the gadget show or in a magazine or something, but remember thinking 'what a great idea').

But although it sucks not spending Chrimbo with your family, you can have a special one at home with Sean and your boy. You are doing whats best for you and have made a decision which is good, that 'torn feeling' is horrible. X
maddymoo
maddymoo
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Teddy Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:59 pm

I know you will miss your family over Christmas Nicki and probably shed a few tears, but at the end of the day you have to do what you feel happiest with. You will still have a good time and it will be so relaxing for all. xx
Teddy
Teddy
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by littlekitty Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:04 pm

Oh Nicki, sorry you have decided to stay home for christmas and not spend it with your family. You must be gutted, but at the end of the day you're the one making the decision, and you have to do what is best for Prince. Maybe you can spend some time with your family at a later date and sort something out for Princey boy.
My son is coming to me next year, it will be our first christmas together for five years, so that's something for me to look forward to. But then again everything doesn't always go to plan does it.
littlekitty
littlekitty
Cat-mad!
Cat-mad!

Number of posts : 2788
Cat(s): : Buddy and Mary

http://www.cats2crafts.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Gilly Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:45 pm

Oh it IS a shame that you'll miss out on seeing your family but, as you said, you'd only be worrying otherwise No I would be the same pale

Perhaps arrange to go and see your family around Easter time or some time in the year or was this a big get-together as family all live scattered around the UK/world?
Gilly
Gilly
Cat-mad!
Cat-mad!

Number of posts : 2024
Cat(s): : Thomas, Misty & Tiger Lily
Registration date : 2008-04-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Chunkyboy Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:21 pm

Thanx for all your kind words everyone. xx
Chunkyboy
Chunkyboy
Champion Cat!
Champion Cat!

Back to top Go down

Post by Teddy Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:43 pm

Well that's another week in Nicki, how is Prince coming on? Very Happy
Teddy
Teddy
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Chunkyboy Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:11 pm

He is fine Kath, climbing the walls to get out and driving us nutso Back from vet 43453 , but fine "in himself". He is still limping, but appears to be in no pain whatsover.
Just wish it would miraculously clear up and he would be better, but tbh, I have a feeling he will probably end up needing the surgery after all of this.
It is so funny, cos we have to watch him the whole time, like a toddler - he's into everything and will shoot into rooms he's not supposed to go in (funny how the limp disappears then eh) lol.
He has so much pent up energy due to not getting out, that he is playing more, and he flings himself across the laminated floor, skidding into the table legs etc. So funny.
Like you say, thats another week down, two more to go, then we will hopefully know whats what.
Chunkyboy
Chunkyboy
Champion Cat!
Champion Cat!

Back to top Go down

Post by Teddy Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:20 pm

he must feel some discomfort to be limping though, but discomfort is far from pain so that's something good. I wonder what happened to him for this to happen, we will never know. Are your mum & dad ok with you for not coming to Scotland?
Teddy
Teddy
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Chunkyboy Fri Dec 19, 2008 4:23 pm

The vet said it can be caused by the animal jumping up to something, slipping and landing badly on the knee. The other reason he said, kinda freaked us out a bit, he said it can happen to cats going through their cat flaps! If they get their leg caught and then try to pull it through, it can rupture the ligament! Yikes!
Yeah, discomfort is one thing, but apart from the night it happened, he has not once cried out when moving, or having his leg touched by us or manipulated by the vet. Good as gold my boy is. *swoons*.
Mum and dad and the family have been great. I wouldnt have expected anything else. They know how much a part of our family/lives Princey is, so would never have expected us to leave him.
We parceled up all their prezzies and sent them by courier the other day, and they have done the same for us (ours arrived today!) so atleast nothing has been wasted.
Chunkyboy
Chunkyboy
Champion Cat!
Champion Cat!

Back to top Go down

Post by Teddy Fri Dec 19, 2008 6:04 pm

Aaaww I do feel for you, Back from vet 895769 but at least you have peace of mind which is no mean thing. I could just imagine how worried you would have felt if you had left him.

God the cat flap thing is scary, Sophie flies through her's at the rate of knots. LOL
Teddy
Teddy
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by maddymoo Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:55 pm

Oh no! I don't like the idea of the cat flap thing either!

Princey sounds like he's doing so well! And so are you. I hope he doesn't need the op, but if he does, he does. You've done all you can to avoid it and although its looking like a long recovery time, he will recover and be back to his self in no time! :-)
maddymoo
maddymoo
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by *Prince* Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:48 pm

thanx Helen. xx You guys always make me feel better about stuff.
*Prince*
*Prince*
Cat-mad!
Cat-mad!

Number of posts : 3971
Registration date : 2008-04-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down