For The Love of Cats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tail

+4
nicola
maddymoo
Ian B
littlekitty
8 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Tail Empty Tail

Post by littlekitty Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:02 pm

Buddy came in this morning and as hubby was stroking Buds back end he started hissing and growling, so I thought that hubby had pulled his tail by accident.#
Buds has just come down now and I attempted to stroke him near his tail and he hissed and growled again and has now gone out. His tail is usually up but is now limp so not sure if he has broken it or has an injury. Am going to try get him to the vet's tomorrow.
littlekitty
littlekitty
Cat-mad!
Cat-mad!

Number of posts : 2788
Cat(s): : Buddy and Mary
Registration date : 2008-04-06

http://www.cats2crafts.com

Back to top Go down

Tail Empty Re: Tail

Post by Ian B Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:41 am

Good call getting him to the vets Tail 579159 There's a cat round here who must have broken his tail at some point and it was left untreated. It flops about when he walks, even in the wind at times, and must have been agony at first, tho' it doesn't seem to bother him now.

Max from next door damaged his tail, my neighbours weren't sure how but suspect it happened while workmen were fitting a new boiler. He went missing for days and it's only when they finally caught him they realised something was wrong, he ended up having half his tail amputated.

Here's hoping Buddy's problems aren't as bad.

Ian
Ian B
Ian B
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Number of posts : 9110
Cat(s): : Fudge, Bola, Buddy, Max........and several guests

Back to top Go down

Post by littlekitty Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:42 pm

Hi Ian
Just back from the vet's and she thinks thaty he might of been clipped by a car as his back nails are scuffed and his back end is sore, other than that he has been fighting, but there are no wounds.
If he has been hit by a car then he will be staying in at nights from now on.
He is supposed to stay in for a few days and is now howling at the flap to get out.
littlekitty
littlekitty
Cat-mad!
Cat-mad!

Back to top Go down

Post by maddymoo Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:41 pm

Let him howl! Easier said than done I know and keep him in a few days. Gosh Lynn, thats so scary, if he has been hit by a car he's had a very lucky escape! Your poor lad! As for the fighting.. well... that wouldn't come as a surprise for your little bruiser lol. He's a gorgeous robust boy and the fact he's yowling to get out shows the injury hasn't dampened his spirits! Give him a gentle hug from me. I hope he's back to normal (as normal as cats get that is) in no time. x
maddymoo
maddymoo
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Number of posts : 5888
Cat(s): : Maddison and Bramble

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian B Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:45 pm

Glad to hear he's ok Lynn, but as Helen said, at least it hasn't put him off wanting to go out, tho' that's not such a good idea atm, so let him howl.

Ian
Ian B
Ian B
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by nicola Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:33 pm

Awwwww poor Buddy, I'm glad he's ok Lynn like Helen said if it was a car he's very lucky (thank goodness).

nicola
Cat-mad!
Cat-mad!

Number of posts : 1467
Cat(s): : yes.

Back to top Go down

Post by *Prince* Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:26 pm

Oh Lynn, am sorry to hear about The Budster. It is awful to think he might have been clipped by a car. Like the others have said, he cant be feeling THAT bad if he is still managing to annoy the hell out of you by yowling to get out. DONT GIVE IN. He needs to be kept indoors, safe and cosy for a while. Give him gentle strokes from me. xx
*Prince*
*Prince*
Cat-mad!
Cat-mad!

Number of posts : 3971
Cat(s): : Prince
Registration date : 2008-04-24

Back to top Go down

Post by littlekitty Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:11 pm

His tail is still limp and this morning I felt a hard lump in the middle of it, so not sure what to make of that. He's supposed to go back next thursday if there isn't any improvement, but I'm going to take him back on tuesday if the lump is still there. At least he isn't hissing anymore when I touch it, but he still looks around when I go to touch it, so it's probably still sore. but he has eaten today, so he must be feeling a little better.
littlekitty
littlekitty
Cat-mad!
Cat-mad!

Back to top Go down

Post by maddymoo Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:40 pm

Yes, a sooner vets visit certainly sounds warrented there. Good luck with the Budster on Tues Lynn. x
maddymoo
maddymoo
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Teddy Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:11 pm

Just read this Lynn, hope buddy's tail is improving, if he has been hit by a car, then he's one lucky cat, last year Moto got hit and it was his tail that was sore, he started crying when we touched it but the following day, he was as right as rain.
Teddy
Teddy
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Number of posts : 10805
Cat(s): : Moto & Sophie

Back to top Go down

Post by littlekitty Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:23 pm

Hi Kath,
I think his tail is getting better but he did hiss at me when I stroked it, but he has started to lift it up a wee bit now, so will just be keeping an eye on it for a few more days.
littlekitty
littlekitty
Cat-mad!
Cat-mad!

Back to top Go down

Post by Teddy Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:23 pm

he could have bruised it which can be really sore, if it is a bruise, it will heal in a few days, poor thing, cars and cats just don't mix.
Teddy
Teddy
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by maddymoo Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:36 pm

He's sounding like he's improving, which is good. Keep us updated on your big brave lad.
maddymoo
maddymoo
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by littlekitty Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:52 pm

Just fed both babies and noticed that Buddy's tail is completely down so wondering if it is actually broken/fractured as he also hissed again when I touched it. Maybe with him using the flap it's not getting time to heal so going to get him to the vet's again and se what's going on as he clearly isn't happy with it as it is.
littlekitty
littlekitty
Cat-mad!
Cat-mad!

Back to top Go down

Post by maddymoo Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:16 pm

Poor fella, I hope the vet can shed some light on whats wrong with his tail and give him some nice painkillers and steroids or something equally as nice.
maddymoo
maddymoo
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Teddy Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:28 pm

could be the flap is aggrivating it Lynn, poor thing can't get his tail out quick enough before the flap clatters down on it. Ooooohhhh.
Teddy
Teddy
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by maddymoo Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:24 pm

Teddy wrote:could be the flap is aggrivating it Lynn, poor thing can't get his tail out quick enough before the flap clatters down on it. Ooooohhhh.

I've just moved up a space in the hell queque as I had a little snigger at that image.
maddymoo
maddymoo
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by *Prince* Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:24 pm

Oh poor Buddy Boy. Keep us posted Lynn. xx
*Prince*
*Prince*
Cat-mad!
Cat-mad!

Number of posts : 3971
Cat(s): : Prince
Registration date : 2008-04-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Teddy Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:10 am

maddymoo wrote:
Teddy wrote:could be the flap is aggrivating it Lynn, poor thing can't get his tail out quick enough before the flap clatters down on it. Ooooohhhh.

I've just moved up a space in the hell queque as I had a little snigger at that image.

Tail 43453 get behind me satan.
Teddy
Teddy
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by littlekitty Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:59 am

Taking Budster back to the vet's as he can't sit down to eat his meals as his tail is still annoying him. I am going to demand that she takes him in and sedates/xrays him to get a proper look as he won't let me touch it still, and last time I took him she was touching his tail and he wasn't happy about it.
Also when he jumps off the bed he does it slowly now, usually he just jumps off heavily and makes a noise, so will get her to check out his back end also.
He seems to be in ain form the base of his tail towards the middle and I did manage to touch his tail and there seems to be a hard lump towards the middle.
littlekitty
littlekitty
Cat-mad!
Cat-mad!

Back to top Go down

Post by maddymoo Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:41 am

Oh the poor poor fella. Good luck at the vets Lynn.
maddymoo
maddymoo
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by littlekitty Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:33 pm

Back from the vet and am upset as I have a decision to make.
I asked her to xray his tail but she said it wouldn't tell me anything else other than what she knows. No sign of an abcess just a hard lump in the middle of tail. She again examined the tail, whilst Buds was being a grump, and she asked if their was any movement in it and I told her that there wasn't from the middle to the base, so she said I can either leave it for a while to see if it will heal or have his tail taken off. I was given the consent form to sign but I couldn't do it so I asked Mark what he wanted to do and he said leave his tail alone.
Am heartbroken as Buds seems to be in pain, and don't want to see him like this, and don't want his tail off either, so don't know what to do for the best.
littlekitty
littlekitty
Cat-mad!
Cat-mad!

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian B Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:51 pm

Hi Lynn,

The chances are it will heal itself given time, but would you be happy seeing him uncomfortable/in pain waiting for this? Personally, I'd choose the op as while cats use their tails for balance, they don't *need* it and if he's anything like Max from next door, he wouldn't miss his tail one bit.

That said, Max has only had half his tail amputated, it could easily be different if Buddy has to lose all his. As this isn't life threatening, probably the best thing you can do is agree a set time with Mark, if it hasn't improved by 'X' date, then go for the op.

Ian
Ian B
Ian B
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Teddy Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:59 pm

I agree with Ian, give it a set time, then decide, in the mean time, could you take him to another vet and get a second opinion. I wish I had done that with Sam instead of just relying on one vets opinion.

Poor Buddy, am sure if his tail does have to come off, he'll manage fine. What does she think is wrong? seems an awfully drastic thing to suggest without even xraying it.
Teddy
Teddy
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by littlekitty Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:06 pm

Hi Kath and Ian,
She never really gave me a diagnosis just said that he might have caught it somewhere, eg catflap or window or may have been clipped by a car. She wouldn't xray it though even though I asked her several times but she didn't see the point.
Both cats have their boosters in four weeks time so if it hasn't healed by then will have to decide again what to do.
Mark did say take him to another vet but that's right at the other end of town but if she keeps on giving me negative answers then I will change my vet.
littlekitty
littlekitty
Cat-mad!
Cat-mad!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content