For The Love of Cats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tail

+4
nicola
maddymoo
Ian B
littlekitty
8 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Tail - Page 2 Empty Re: Tail

Post by Teddy Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:11 pm

in 4 weeks hopefully you will see a difference. You don't need to change your vet, just take him once and see what is said then, you may feel more confident with the new vet and then decide to change, but he may tell you the same thiing and in that case, you're just as well keeping with the one you hve now.
Teddy
Teddy
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Number of posts : 10805
Cat(s): : Moto & Sophie
Registration date : 2008-04-06

Back to top Go down

Post by littlekitty Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:26 pm

Wouldn't I have to register him if I saw another vet/practice, my vet is only a small one with one consulting room and one vet, occasionally we get the australian guy coming in to help out. If his diagnosis was the same then there wouldn.t be much we could do, but maybe he might do an xray, it's worth a try I suppose.
$ weeks is a long time to wait really and knowing that he is in pain with it doesn't make me feel any happier. Buds is now stretched out on my bed but he was growling earlier when I was stroking him and Mary jumped on the bed as well, probably telling her/me to go away and leave him alone.
littlekitty
littlekitty
Cat-mad!
Cat-mad!

Number of posts : 2788
Cat(s): : Buddy and Mary

http://www.cats2crafts.com

Back to top Go down

Post by maddymoo Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:46 pm

Have they gave you any painkillers for him? If not it may be worth calling up and asking them for some metacam or something similar, so that when waiting you can at least give him something to make him more comfortable.

It is a hard decsion and I agree with the others, set a date and if he's no better then get it done. In the meantime I deffo agree with Kath that you get a second opinion, it does seem strange not x-raying his tail.
maddymoo
maddymoo
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Number of posts : 5888
Cat(s): : Maddison and Bramble

Back to top Go down

Post by Chunkyboy Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:10 pm

Really sorry to hear of this dilema Lynn. I feel so upset for you and Buddy.
I too would wait a certain time, as without a diagnosis and x-ray, I would feel removal of the tail straight away a bit extreme. I just cant get my head around her not offering you either of those ?!?!?!?!?
The most important thing is if Buddy is in pain, you cant have that ongoing for 5 weeks. I am at a loss as to what else I can add that others havent.
Massive hugs to you and Buddy. xxxxxxxxxxx
Chunkyboy
Chunkyboy
Champion Cat!
Champion Cat!

Number of posts : 614
Cat(s): : Prince
Registration date : 2008-12-10

Back to top Go down

Post by littlekitty Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:53 pm

We are taking Buds to the animal hospital tonight at 6.30 for a second opinion and if they feel the need for an xray then that's what we'll do.
He hasn't been given any medication for the pain, don't why she didn't give him anything. We don't want to leave him to long in pain so hope we get answers tonight.
littlekitty
littlekitty
Cat-mad!
Cat-mad!

Back to top Go down

Post by Teddy Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:00 pm

Brill idea Lynn, Tail - Page 2 579159 keep us posted.
Teddy
Teddy
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by maddymoo Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:00 pm

Oh yes, great idea. When you go tonight as for some oral painkillers to take home for him too.

Good luck, the second opinion could also help make up your mind over the best thing to do for him. x
maddymoo
maddymoo
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by littlekitty Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:29 pm

Back from the hospital and the vet gave him two injections to get him through the night, and he is going back tomorrow at 9am to be xrayed and sedated so they can investigate further. She said that there is swelling to the top of the tail, and that he has some movement at the bottom also, so once the xray has been done we will then found out if he keeps or looses his tail. Keeping our fingers crossed that he keeps it and if so he will be getting medication tomorrow.
For two injections and consultations it cost me £41. Shocked Don't know what an xray will cost plus meds, does insurance cover this?
littlekitty
littlekitty
Cat-mad!
Cat-mad!

Back to top Go down

Post by Teddy Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:58 pm

you would need to check your insurance policy Lynn, they're all different. Good news that somethin positive will be done, and am sure they will do all they can to keep his tail, I wouldn't imagine they would take it off so easily. Fingers crossed for tomorrw, so glad he's got some painkillers to see him through the night.
Teddy
Teddy
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian B Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:06 pm

Hi Lynn,

At least you're getting somewhere with the new vet even tho' it might be bad news, tho' hopefully not and he keeps his tail.

Your insurance *should* cover any treatment costs, but check the small print to be sure, tho' I'm pretty certain you'll be ok as there aren't that many things not covered. Broken/damaged limbs certainly are, so I can't see why tails should be any different.

Good luck tomorrow, and tonight for keeping him in as there's nothing so certain as he'll be wanting to go out.

Ian
Ian B
Ian B
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Number of posts : 9110
Cat(s): : Fudge, Bola, Buddy, Max........and several guests

Back to top Go down

Post by *Prince* Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:31 pm

So glad to hear this vet is investigating it more thoroughly and giving something to the wee chap to ease his pain. Good luck for tomorrow. Try not to think too much about the cost side of things, I know that is easier said than done! ((( hugs )))
*Prince*
*Prince*
Cat-mad!
Cat-mad!

Number of posts : 3971
Registration date : 2008-04-24

Back to top Go down

Post by maddymoo Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:45 pm

This all sounds so much more positive, this vets seems much more competent. I guess you can only wait until the x-ray is done and go on the advice of the vet. I can't see why it wouldn't be covered on insurance unless he's already had a similar problem, give them a call and ask. I'll be thinking of you guys and the Budster tomorrow.
maddymoo
maddymoo
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by littlekitty Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:44 pm

Just phoned the vet's and Buds is ready to come home at 4.30. They didn't mention much about his tail except the price, £189 so far could be more. Eeekkk I think that's a bit pricey tbh but at least we will have answers tonight.
Hope the insurance company(tescos) pay out as it's money that I haven't really got, but have a little put by for emergencies.
littlekitty
littlekitty
Cat-mad!
Cat-mad!

Back to top Go down

Post by maddymoo Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:54 pm

Gosh, that is alot isn't it! Vets visits always seem to come with the 'how much!?!!' factor attached ey. lol

Yes, with pets its always good to have a bit extra 'in case of emergency' money stashed away, we never know what they're gunna get themselves up to next.

I've got my fingers crossed for you and Buddy that its a clear cut decsion over what to do so that there's no 'what ifs' involved. (((hugs)))
maddymoo
maddymoo
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian B Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:01 pm

Hi Lynn,

I had issues with Tescos and payment for Becketts treatment, but these were due (so they claimed) to a unprecedented amount of claims they were having to deal with at the time. My vets requested direct payment from myself and just short of £800 in total was a lot, luckily I had it spare so the fact that Tescos dragged their heels in settling my claim wasn't as big a problem as it might have been.

This won't affect you, but they don't pay out on having animals PTS, which is bizarre as it surely comes under vet treatment. There were a couple more small things they refused to pay out on, nothing major, but it all meant I ended up getting just under £700 from them.

I didn't know this at the time as my vets never told me, but if a bill rises to become really expensive, they have ways of dealing directly with insurance companies like Tescos, who only settle at the end of treatment rather than paying in stages should more than one lot of treatment be required. It might be worthwhile asking this vet if they have a similar scheme as not everyone can lay their hands on what could easily be hundreds of pounds at once.

Good luck tonight, here's hoping it's good news.

Ian
Ian B
Ian B
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Number of posts : 9110
Cat(s): : Fudge, Bola, Buddy, Max........and several guests

Back to top Go down

Post by littlekitty Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:05 pm

He's home, with tail intact, apart from a ring of fur missing around it. We saw the xray and it seems to be a cat bite between the vertebre(sp) of the tail bone which has swollen the muscle. He has had five diffrent injections and has to take medicine through a syringe and tablets twice a day. Oh what fun that will be giving him those. Tail - Page 2 43453
She did say that if it hasn't healed in about a month's time then they will maybe have to amputate. So we are hoping it is going to heal before then.
He was very pleased to see us and seems a lot happier as well, but he refused to eat their food and he is resting in my son's room.
littlekitty
littlekitty
Cat-mad!
Cat-mad!

Back to top Go down

Post by *Prince* Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:56 pm

Glad to hear they are treating him and waiting to see if it heals BEFORE just taking off his tail, like that other one seemed so keen to do! Lets hope it does heal, but if not, and his tail has to be removed, then he will adapt to it and so will you. Loving how he was being fussy with their food. Good old Budster! Laughing
*Prince*
*Prince*
Cat-mad!
Cat-mad!

Back to top Go down

Post by maddymoo Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:03 pm

Lol, all that meds' gunna be fun! I'm glad they've discovered what the problem is. I'm keeping everything crossed that his tail will heal with these extra meds and if it does have to go, as Nicki says you will all adapt and at least you know you've done everything.
maddymoo
maddymoo
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Teddy Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:10 pm

oh we'll keep our fingers crossed he comes good Lynn, at the very least if he does have to lose his tail, as has been said, you will know you did everything you could for him.
Teddy
Teddy
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by littlekitty Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:18 pm

This morning he washed his tail thoroughly, something I haven't seen him do for a few days, so I knew that the injections he had last night made him feel better.
His tail is actually starting to go back up, which is a good sign, let's hope it continues to heal.
He has had two tablets hidden in pieces of chicken, and as the tablets are broke in half, two bits fell out and he actually ate them on their own off his mat. He must of been hungry to eat them without been hidden. Tail - Page 2 43453 Bet the little sod won't be so keen to eat them tomorrow.
littlekitty
littlekitty
Cat-mad!
Cat-mad!

Back to top Go down

Post by maddymoo Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:55 am

I had to laugh at him eating the tablets, why can't cats be as easy to give the tablets to? lol
maddymoo
maddymoo
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by littlekitty Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:45 pm

Gave Buds his medicine that was easy enough and he's still eating the tablets when they fall out of the meat so am well pleased.
He is alot happier today and his tail has some movement in it, so hoping that by this time next week his tail will be up.
littlekitty
littlekitty
Cat-mad!
Cat-mad!

Back to top Go down

Post by *Prince* Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:00 pm

Tail - Page 2 43453 That is SO funny, him eating the tablets off his mat. Bless the boy, he's all out of sorts. Glad to hear he seems happier and his tail moving a bit more. xx
*Prince*
*Prince*
Cat-mad!
Cat-mad!

Back to top Go down

Post by Teddy Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:51 pm

How is Buddy today Lynn?
Teddy
Teddy
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by littlekitty Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:39 pm

Hi Kath,
He seems alot happier today and is taking his medication no bother. His tail is pretty much the same but at this stage I don't expect it to be any diffrent. At least he doesn't hiss now when I touch his back end, so hopefully the tablets/medicine are doing the job.
littlekitty
littlekitty
Cat-mad!
Cat-mad!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content