For The Love of Cats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Maddy Injured

+4
Teddy
Ian B
nicola
maddymoo
8 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Maddy Injured - Page 2 Empty Re: Maddy Injured

Post by maddymoo Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:02 pm

Teddy wrote:oh the poot soul. she must wonder what the hell is happening with her, arthritis is so painful too. How old is she? as for the broken bone, I wonder what she did for that to happen.
Well you know now, so you'll be better able to look after her, and Calvin will be relieved now he knows too.

She's only 7/8. The vet wasn't too concerned over the broken bone, it may have been that way for a while or not as apparently they take a long time to heal, and the tendon/ligament damage should heal on its own too. We're to tak her back if she's not better in 10 days or obviously if she worse, but for now we just have to stop her from jumping (yeah right lol).

It seems to be the problem is going to be managing her arthritis, she's going to be taking metacam for a while which is basically diclofenac for cats and this supplement called seraquin, which is glucosamine, chondroitin sulphate and tumeric extract, now I'm sure we could get these cheaper in a health food shop and mix it up ourselves, but the tablets are like yummy treats so are no bother, we just chuck them in her food bowl or put them on the rug and she eats them up! lol! We are giving the supplement to Boo as well as she's a candidate for arthritis in her back legs, so hopefully we can stop whats happened to Mads from happening to her too and hopefully we'll see a big improvement in Mads in a few weeks/months.
maddymoo
maddymoo
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Number of posts : 5888
Cat(s): : Maddison and Bramble
Registration date : 2008-04-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian B Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:17 pm

So glad to see you're not one of those people who expect improvement overnight Maddy Injured - Page 2 579159 as you say, it might take weeks or months before things get better.

10 days of confinement tho', I'm not jealous, she'll really be going up the wall by the time you take her back Laughing

Ian
Ian B
Ian B
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Number of posts : 9110
Cat(s): : Fudge, Bola, Buddy, Max........and several guests

Back to top Go down

Post by maddymoo Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:29 pm

Ian B wrote:So glad to see you're not one of those people who expect improvement overnight Maddy Injured - Page 2 579159 as you say, it might take weeks or months before things get better.

Ian

Well, the nature of arthritis, we all know its not going to get better, but hopefully the suplements will help her joints over time if we stick to the regime, but In expect she'll be on the supplement for life and if she's taking painkillers everyday, thats bound to eventually damage her kidneys/liver, but we both strongly believe that quality of life is more important to a cat than quantity, so as long as our big girl (yes, we have to get more weight off her too lol) is happy than we are. We have decided that we are going to have to have some changes too and cat proof the garden so that she can't jump onto the fence or anything high as she'll hurt herself coming back down and it'll also help us get her weight down too.
maddymoo
maddymoo
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian B Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:49 pm

Yeah, I guess the best you can hope for is to slow it's progress down.

Cat proof the garden? That's a big job, tho' she *might* try and help by pointing out all the escape routes you've overlooked Laughing

Ian
Ian B
Ian B
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Number of posts : 9110
Cat(s): : Fudge, Bola, Buddy, Max........and several guests

Back to top Go down

Post by Teddy Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:37 pm

ooooooooooo cat proofing, yeah gods, hope your garden is basically a square, and you can't get access to the back unless you walk through the house, I've a feeling it isn't though. BUT if it's possible you'll feel much happier letting her out and it will be good for Boo too.
Teddy
Teddy
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Number of posts : 10805
Cat(s): : Moto & Sophie

Back to top Go down

Post by maddymoo Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:48 am

Haha, yep, it'll be a big job! It is basically a square, the tall fence and gate by the side of the house and tall fence at back are high enough to simply attach brackets and netting to. The problems going to be the short fences seperating our neighbours, the choice there will be to get the fence raised to the same height (which would bascially make our garden feel like a coffin lol) or get some sort of mesh fence..... hmmmm... so more costs but what else can we do to keep her safe and happy. lol. And yes, it certainly will be good for Boo too. Once catproofed we could even make up for the lack of freedom to roam by fitting a catflap so she can have more freedom that way.... oh the possibilites lol
maddymoo
maddymoo
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Teddy Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:49 am

Possibilites are good, the problem is motivation to start it, it will be a big undertaking and then when you THINK it's all hunky dory one of them will find an escape route. I would put that thin nylon mesh against the wall seperating your neighbour. If you get the stoing open mesh it shouldn't look too enclosed, I did read somewhere that the mesh has to be loose so that the cats can't cling to it. sheesh what a thought.
Teddy
Teddy
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by maddymoo Sat Aug 15, 2009 1:03 pm

Oh thats it.... all motivation gone, sounds like too much work... sorry Mads, you're gunna be a house cat! Rofl! *only kidding*
maddymoo
maddymoo
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Teddy Sat Aug 15, 2009 1:13 pm

h I'll send Steve down, he can do it for you, I've already sent him to America to hang a painting. LOL I could sell his services and make a fortune.
Teddy
Teddy
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by maddymoo Sat Aug 15, 2009 2:02 pm

Sounds good! Send him down! Lol! We'll keep him supplied in beer and food? Laughing

How big was this painting? lol
maddymoo
maddymoo
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by *Prince* Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:17 pm

Helen, just catching up and really really sorry to hear about Moo.
Like you said, this is a lifetime condition, but one that can be managed by medication, and if a big percentage of the human population live with it, then so can the gorgeous girl.
Feeding her a special diet and medication will be something you will do responsibly, and already you are looking at enclosing the garden to limit her joint movement. You and Calvin are fab with those two girls and all their "little complications". *loved-up feelings zooming your way* Maddy Injured - Page 2 357198
*Prince*
*Prince*
Cat-mad!
Cat-mad!

Number of posts : 3971
Cat(s): : Prince
Registration date : 2008-04-24

Back to top Go down

Post by maddymoo Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:45 pm

Awww thanks Nicki. Why is it always their legs? Maddy Injured - Page 2 975384 lol (only laughing as I'm confident she'll be fine... she's already rebelling about being kept in and being a very naughty Moo! Wink She seems unphased by her gansta walk, so as long as we keep up the meds so shes comfortable and do our best to keep her safe from further harm, then all is well Maddy Injured - Page 2 579159 )
maddymoo
maddymoo
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by nicola Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:39 pm

Awww the poor baby arthritis in her elbows and shoulders is not nice at all, hopefully with the meds she's on you can keep it stable, good luck with cat proofing the garden once it's done you will be able to relax and know where she is at all times and I bet Boo will also love it!

nicola
Cat-mad!
Cat-mad!

Number of posts : 1467
Cat(s): : yes.

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:38 pm

Poor Moo-girl!!!! And poor you - oh it's so stressful when somethings wrong, as we worry so much about the pain, and also about the trauma of taking them to the vets. Hopefully her broken bit will heal nicely soon... and the tablets will help her arthirisis... poor little lamb! Give her a right old snuggle from me... if she'll let you as you're "a naughty mummy" for keeping her in! lol!

Cat proofing the garden sounds like a good idea, hopefully it will keep her happy and healthy... restricted places to get into trouble, but still freedom at hand!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 109

https://love4cats.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

Post by maddymoo Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:20 pm

She's playing chasey with her sister atm! Shocked If it carries on much longer I'll break it up, but they both need the excercise and are having fun.
maddymoo
maddymoo
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down