For The Love of Cats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Back from the *dead* (+new pic)

+4
littlekitty
Teddy
*Prince*
Ian B
8 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Back from the *dead* (+new pic) Empty Back from the *dead* (+new pic)

Post by Ian B Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:39 pm

At least I assumed this cat had died, the thieving ginger and white tom, who's looking worse than ever now Crying or Very sad He didn't run when I opened the door and looked so pitiful I got him a plate of food, and amazingly he actually came to me when I offered it to him Shocked He ate that and *asked* for more but I didn't give him any as the last thing I wanted was for him to overload his stomach if he was genuinely starving,

Back from the *dead* (+new pic) Poorly10

Back from the *dead* (+new pic) Poorly11

He's a shadow of the cat who used to steal food here, and I'm beginning to suspect his condition is as much to do with neglect as illness, tho' why his owners would do that when their other cats are fine I don't know confused but there's obviously something wrong with him.

Ian

Last edited by Ian B on Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:39 am; edited 3 times in total
Ian B
Ian B
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Number of posts : 9110
Cat(s): : Fudge, Bola, Buddy, Max........and several guests
Registration date : 2008-04-06

Back to top Go down

Back from the *dead* (+new pic) Empty Re: Back from the *dead* (+new pic)

Post by *Prince* Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:02 pm

Oh Ian, I cant bear it. Poor fella. What will you do (if anything)? It is such a tough situation, getting involved, but I dont think I could just sit by and not do/say anything. Mind you, just giving him regular teeny meals may just get him back to some sort of "fighting weight" ? I could cry for him.
*Prince*
*Prince*
Cat-mad!
Cat-mad!

Number of posts : 3971
Cat(s): : Prince
Registration date : 2008-04-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Teddy Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:05 pm

oh god he's heartbreaking !! I can't imagine anyone negecting him but caring for their other cats, so am hoping , although that sounds bad too, but I hope it's an illness and they're caring for him as best they can. Poor thing loks so ill. Crying or Very sad
Teddy
Teddy
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Number of posts : 10805
Cat(s): : Moto & Sophie

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian B Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:19 pm

I'd have no problems feeding him if he starts to call regularly, but I so seldom see him these days, tho' hopefully after my feeding him today he'll call back. For all he looks ill, he's still sprightly enough, but he's been like this for some time, so I can't see it all being down to illness as he would surely have died by now. I can't see them neglecting just the one cat, and the fact that I so rarely see him these days suggests they are trying to look after him. Of course it could be that he's *left home* and is now living rough, but that's very doubtful.

His owners are a strange family who have little to do with their neighbours, tho' that's not surprising as the son and his friends use the house to deal drugs (according to rumour anyway) but the amount of police activity there would seem to back that up. It's for that reason I'm not going to get involved by asking about this cat, the last thing I need is to get involved in some sort of vendetta with idiots like them.

Ian

Last edited by Ian B on Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ian B
Ian B
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by *Prince* Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:09 pm

Very wise Ian. There's no point in taking chances with people, who you think might be a bit "dodgy". You just never know what they will do.
Just carry on being the caring gent that you are, and if/when he swings by your place, tempt him with a wee tasty morsel.
I know we've said it before, but those kitties from your neighbourhood are lucky to have you around. You always "fight their corners" the best you can.
*Prince*
*Prince*
Cat-mad!
Cat-mad!

Number of posts : 3971
Cat(s): : Prince
Registration date : 2008-04-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Teddy Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:52 pm

Nicki's right, keep out of it. If he continues to call and you feed him and he has somewhere warm, either your house or the box in the shed, he'll be as well as can be expected.
Teddy
Teddy
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian B Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:56 pm

It might take a while for him to trust me as he's had years of my chasing him off/chucking cups of water at him, etc, tho' if he's as hungry as he was today, if/when he calls again, that might persuade him to stay to see if any food is on offer.

Ian
Ian B
Ian B
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by littlekitty Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:42 pm

Aww the por wee toot, I hate to see animals in that kind of state. He is more or less the same as the tabby cat I saw last week.
Hopefully he will trust you enough to come back for more food, which I know that you won't refuse to feed him, as we all wouldn't.
littlekitty
littlekitty
Cat-mad!
Cat-mad!

Number of posts : 2788
Cat(s): : Buddy and Mary

http://www.cats2crafts.com

Back to top Go down

Post by maddymoo Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:44 am

Oh the wee soul. He probably isn't getting the care he needs, afterall we all know its completely different looking after a sick cat than a well cat. I say this as with a 'troubled' son and his mates hanging round, the owner prob has other prioities as sad as that sounds and chucking down food a couple times a day and changing the litter tray is prob all they do and being so sick, he's prob bottom of the pecking order with the other household cats. I can't see those owners giving him the attention a sick cat needs as well as the regular vet trips and medication. But, he looks like a wanderer he although he looks dreadful, its a good thing that he's still spritely, hopefully he is still enjoying his life and just looks awful. Thats what I'm hoping anyway. I hope he does call back Ian so you can keep an eye on him. Bless he really does look poorly.
maddymoo
maddymoo
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Number of posts : 5888
Cat(s): : Maddison and Bramble

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian B Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:53 am

I'm at a loss to know what sort of illness could cause such a drastic weight loss, almost overnight as well but he's been like this for some time now with no further deterioration confused If he's not at home, the only logical thing I can think of is he's gone feral and is just returning to the places he used to steal food from, but is so hungry he'll let people/me approach him.

I disliked him as he was just a pig, a real porker who stole food out of greed, but I hate seeing him in such a sorry state.

Ian
Ian B
Ian B
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Teddy Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:45 am

I too thought he may be feral well semi ferel, that would make sense really, he'll be scrounging food wherever he can. I wouldn't be surprised if he comes round again Ian.
Teddy
Teddy
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by siam*mum Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:08 pm

ian has he reappered yesterday or today? maybe he has feline lukemia or some kidney problems i am sure with your kindness he will appreciate it very much so lot us know how you go on
siam*mum
siam*mum
Kitty-Chatter
Kitty-Chatter

Number of posts : 171
Cat(s): : Twiggy,Petal,Madge & Jack

http://www.siamaiden.bravehost.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian B Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:30 pm

siam*mum wrote:ian has he reappered yesterday or today? maybe he has feline lukemia or some kidney problems i am sure with your kindness he will appreciate it very much so lot us know how you go on
No, I haven't seen him since, but that's not to say he hasn't called. These days it's pure luck that I see him, unlike a couple of years back when he used to just wander in to steal food.

He doesn't show the classic symptoms of FeLV or FIV, but I only know what I've read online about these, so he could well have either.

Ian
Ian B
Ian B
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian B Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:09 pm

I've just found him in my garden again, so gave him some more food

Back from the *dead* (+new pic) Poorly12

I got a bit too close taking a pic and scared him

Back from the *dead* (+new pic) Poorly13

And for all he's looked very ill in the other pics, I managed to get this close up when he sat at the side of my house and he doesn't look that bad. It could be the massive weight loss making him look worse than he actually is, at least I hope so. He's bright eyed/alert enough but still very nervous of me, tho' I can't blame him for that Laughing

Back from the *dead* (+new pic) Poorly14

Ian
Ian B
Ian B
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by maddymoo Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:25 pm

He looks like he needs a bloody good groom! Send him up here, auntie helen'l give him the brushing of a lifetime! lol

Lol, you can see his nervous posturing in the piccies, so maybe its a combo of the weight loss, posturing and scruffyness that could make him look worse than he is, although he deffo looks like he needs feeding up. Poor lad, but its nice that he's coming back for food and fab that he has you looking out for him. Back from the *dead* (+new pic) 579159
maddymoo
maddymoo
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Number of posts : 5888
Cat(s): : Maddison and Bramble

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian B Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:29 pm

Hi Helen,

Yeah, his coat is a bit of a mess, which doesn't help.

Ian
Ian B
Ian B
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Teddy Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:02 pm

he's probably heard you throw things Laughing he does need a good grooming, just a bundle of matted fluff, I think if he's bright eyes and bushy tailed, he'll be ok. Although he does look a wreck, poor thing, we can't all be front page models. Laughing
Teddy
Teddy
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian B Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:17 pm

Hi Kath,

His fur isn't matted, it just looks as tho' he's got soaked, found somewhere to sleep and the fur dried all over the place.

Amazingly, I caught him sneaking thro' the flap just after 4pm, but as soon as he realised I was in the kitchen he backed out (I fed him again tho') This was the first time in, it must be over a year now, he's tried to come in.

Ian
Ian B
Ian B
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Teddy Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:31 pm

His fur isn't matted, it just looks as tho' he's got soaked, found somewhere to sleep and the fur dried all over the place.

People pay a fortune for hair like that it's called *Bed Head*, LOL
Oh he'll get that he is very comfortable with you, it's early days yet. I think you should register as a charity to get some funds in. Help with the feeding. Laughing
Teddy
Teddy
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian B Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:38 pm

Cats like him come in very handy for eating the food my lot turn their noses up at. Gt was grateful for any food at first, but after being here a bit he learned to turn his nose up at certain food, knowing he'd get the better stuff Laughing

Ian
Ian B
Ian B
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Teddy Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:41 pm

They learn fast, the cats I used to foster used to be so grateful they would eat the crap CP provided, but then we would give them treats and they soon learned to hold off for the good stuff. Laughing
Teddy
Teddy
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by siam*mum Sat Aug 01, 2009 6:01 am

it looks like he needs worming despratley i would get somthing like panacur paste or 10% liquid and mix it into some food for him it's a good starting block.

the only thing is you would be treating and looking after someone elses cat or would he be come another visitor to yours ???
which ever way you go ian you will do the best for all

xxxxx
siam*mum
siam*mum
Kitty-Chatter
Kitty-Chatter

Number of posts : 171
Cat(s): : Twiggy,Petal,Madge & Jack

http://www.siamaiden.bravehost.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian B Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:23 am

siam*mum wrote:it looks like he needs worming despratley i would get somthing like panacur paste or 10% liquid and mix it into some food for him it's a good starting block.

the only thing is you would be treating and looking after someone elses cat or would he be come another visitor to yours ???
which ever way you go ian you will do the best for all

xxxxx
Without knowing exactly what is wrong (if anything is medically, it could just be neglect) with him, giving him any medication could easily do more harm than good. Not a good idea for someone elses cat, so I'll just continue feeding as and when I see him, hopefully without his becomming dependant on me for food.

Ian
Ian B
Ian B
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Laura Sat Aug 01, 2009 2:00 pm

Any idea of his age, Ian? Looking at him I suspect he's actually very old. When we first moved in to this house and very scrawy cat called and I quickly assumed he was stray so fed him. After that he called all the time and I continued to feed him until I found out he belonged to the pub over the road and was in fact about 15. And you do say the other cats look well cared for so it could very well be old age. It's his eyes too, they're the eyes of an elderly cat.

I do hope it is age and not neglect or I'm going to feel dreadful!
Laura
Laura
Champion Cat!
Champion Cat!

Number of posts : 802
Cat(s): : Percy

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian B Sun Aug 02, 2009 8:17 am

Hi Laura,

I don't know for sure, but I suspect he's getting on a bit, most likely older than Fudge who's around 13 or 14 now................tho' she doesn't act it Laughing

This cats scruffy fur doesn't help, it's like he's getting soaked then sheltering anywhere he can with his fur drying all over the place, which surely wouldn't happen if he was going home.

Ian
Ian B
Ian B
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next