For The Love of Cats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

*Bobcat* update

3 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

*Bobcat* update Empty *Bobcat* update

Post by Ian B Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:28 pm

According to a note I've just found on her collar she's called Bobcat, belongs to a house on the next road and is much loved, but is diabetic and having lost Beckett the way I did I have some idea of how her owners must be worried over her eating/drinking elsewhere, so there'll be no more food left out for her to find here. If I could have got close enough I would have put a message on her collar myself, but too late now.

I've just given her a scare to persuade her to go back out, but it'll probably take a lot more to stop her coming in altogether. I'll feel bad doing it, but either way, it's nice to know she has a home nearby. It's a shame as she comes in for a nap more than anything but the flap will be set to exit only for a while, tho' for all I've said Buddy has gone for me now, I'm not keen on doing that while there's even the slightest chance of him reappearing as the last thing I want is for him to come back and find himself locked out.

Ian

Last edited by Ian B on Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Ian B
Ian B
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Number of posts : 9110
Cat(s): : Fudge, Bola, Buddy, Max........and several guests
Registration date : 2008-04-06

Back to top Go down

*Bobcat* update Empty Re: *Bobcat* update

Post by Ian B Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:33 am

After putting her outside twice last night only for her to sneak back in as soon as my back was turned, within minutes, I finally managed it the third time tho' I had to chase her out of my garden (and I felt rotten doing so) This time she didn't come back, even after I'd gone to bed, so she must have gone home.

I'm saying she, Bobcat is surely more a toms name, not that it matters. The diabetes thing is probably untrue, but I won't take the risk of messing her/him up by feeding non diabetic food. It'll be a bit tricky today if I go for a drink tho', but I'll make sure there's no food left in the places he/she's learned to look.

'EDIT 8.15'

Hmm, that didn't last long, I've just seen Bobcat peeping thro' the flap so he/she either didn't go home last night or has come straight here after being let out today.

Ian
Ian B
Ian B
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian B Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:52 pm

Got back from shopping and there he/she was, sat in the dining room, the owners have put a ID tag on the collar now with Bobcat and their postcode on it, not perfect but better than nothing.

I've just nipped round to let them know it's my house he/she is sneaking into and I'm not ignoring the don't feed message (seemingly he/she is very old as well) but there was nobody home, so I'll have to do it later (post pub? Laughing) or sometime tomorrow.

Ian
Ian B
Ian B
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Teddy Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:56 pm

Could become a problem if he/she doesn't take the hint Laughing food left out is what your lot are used to so that will confuse them and I would be like you where Buddy is concerned, I wouldn't like to think he may come home and find himself locked out. Seems like little bobcat needs kept inside his/her own house for a while to let it know where it really stays. If there is a phone number on the collar maybe a call to the owners letting them know that bobcat is spending quite a bit of time at yours.

I've just read your new post so my last bit on this can be deleted. Laughing
Teddy
Teddy
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Number of posts : 10805
Cat(s): : Moto & Sophie

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian B Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:13 pm

No phone # Kath, but the house is only a few minutes walk away for me..........and about 30 seconds away for Bobcat. I've just typed a note out explaing things so I'll print it off and may drop it thro' their door, tho' I much prefer a face to face conversation.

Ian
Ian B
Ian B
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Teddy Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:50 pm

Yes face to face tells you so much more, and you can get snippets of good info too. Laughing
Teddy
Teddy
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian B Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:15 am

I printed the note out and popped it thro' their letterbox on my way out for my bus yesterday morning. I asked them not to call yesterday as I'd be out from 11pm and couldn't guarantee what time I'd be home (read in any fit state to hold a conversation post pub Laughing)

Anyhow, the phone rang at 6pm and it was Bobcats owner and she was great about things. It turned out he's a elderly tom, and I know I've said he looks a bit tatty before, but for a 16 year old he looks pretty good. They got him at 10yo from the local cat rehoming centre for their sons 6th birthday and he's been really worried about Bobcats recent disappearing acts.

I told her I wasn't trying to *steal* him, I'd enough cats with my own lot, he'd just started to invite himself in and I'd often find him fast asleep on the dining table when I got up in the morning, plus I hadn't just ripped the messages off his collar and thrown them away, I had to take them off to be able to read them.

He's genuinely diabetic and has been eating here then going home and throwing up all over the house which was a dead giveaway he'd been getting food elsewhere. I told her I was reluctant to lock the flap while there was the slightest chance of Buddy coming back so she agreed to keep Bobcat in for a week or so to reinforce that's where his *real home* is. Hopefully this will work, tho' it didn't when Donna tried it with Buddy, as soon as he was let out he headed straight here Embarassed Laughing

They don't have a flap which is a shame tho' I said they can be bought cheap enough and aren't that difficult to fit, so with a bit of luck they may get one. Seemingly the best way to scare him off is to shake a plastic bag at him as he really hates them.

Ian

Last edited by Ian B on Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:30 pm; edited 2 times in total
Ian B
Ian B
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian B Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:12 pm

Keeping him in didn't last long, unless he escaped or was so desperate to get outside they let him, either way I found him asleep on the dining table at 11am.

His owner wasn't kidding about him being scared of plastic bags, as soon as he saw one in my hand he was off thro' the flap and headed back home at a fair old gallop when I opened the door and waved said bag about.

While that works, I can't say as I'm happy at scaring a cat of his age, tho' he couldn't have been that scared as he called again a couple of hours later. I normally leave food on the table for Stripey but as he didn't show up for brekkie I'd moved it just in case Bobcat turned up so he's had nothing to eat here today.

He strolled into the living room just as Max was snacking from the dry food on the windowsill and I fully expected him to jump up for some once Max had finished but he didn't wait and just wandered back outside by himself. Tonight will be the test as I'll be leaving food on the table for Stripey to have his regular silly o'clock feast.

'EDIT 6pm'

He's back. I've just heard Stripey asking for food and found Bobcat on the table when I got downstairs.

Ian
Ian B
Ian B
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian B Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:38 am

I didn't hear/see him go but he didn't stay long on his last visit and amazingly didn't ask for food, he was more than happy to roll about on the table with with a toy freshly sprayed with concentrated catnip. I half expected to find him here when I got up today but he must have got in at home.

Ian
Ian B
Ian B
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian B Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:03 am

He's just turned up again and was all over me before I shook a plastic bag at him, and I hate doing that as he dislikes them so much.

Ian
Ian B
Ian B
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Teddy Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:29 pm

It's a shame you have to do that to deter him, I too thought about his age, ok if it's going to work, which right now doesn't seem likely *Bobcat* update 43453 but to have to scare him just doesn't feel right does it. Crying or Very sad
Teddy
Teddy
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian B Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:22 pm

He called again later and I ignored his pleas for food, but gave him a toy sprayed with catnip and left him rolling about on the floor with it. He'd gone the next time I looked and I haven't seen him since so hopefully he's tucked up nice and warm at home.

Deliberately scaring a cat of any age doesn't sit right with me, but one of his age seems even worse, especially when he's such a fabulous little cat. If circumstances were different, I'd take him on in a heartbeat even with his age and diabetes, but it's the scare tactics if he insists on staying or I'll just ignore him till he gets fed up and leaves by himself.

Ian
Ian B
Ian B
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian B Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:27 am

No prizes for guessing who I found on the dining table a few minutes ago Rolling Eyes It's throwing it down atm so I'm not chasing him out just to get soaked so he can stay for a while, but I'll have to be careful as he's gone from being pretty hissy with my lot to saying hello to them.

This is all down to his owners not keeping him in as promised, but for all that it must be galling for a cat to suddenly prefer being in another house............tho' I half hope Buddy has done the same.

Ian
Ian B
Ian B
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian B Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:33 am

He's gone, hopefully in time to be let in at home, tho's as the son is of school age that shouldn't be a problem.

Ian
Ian B
Ian B
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Teddy Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:47 pm

Wonder why he's just suddenly started coming to you, I take it they've lived in the house for a while/years, unless I've missed something and they're new to the neighbourhood. If they are, word got around pretty quickly that yours is the house to visit. Laughing
Teddy
Teddy
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian B Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:27 pm

I'm sure I first saw him about a year ago just sat on the fence watching me play with my lot in the garden, but he ran as soon as I looked at him. I'd seen him every so often since, always the same thing, sat on the fence watching but he'd run if I called him.

I don't know, but I'd guess they'd been in this house for some time, which considering how close it is to mine, on another road but only about 30 seconds away for a cat taking a shortcut thro' my loony neighbours garden, it's odd I'd not seen him years before.

I told his owner that Bobcat calling here was probably down to Bola *inviting him in* as I've never seen another cat as friendly towards strangers as Bola Laughing

Him coming in like this after Buddy going missing has a uncanny resemblance to the time Ginger Tom arrived in the house after I lost Beckett..............spooky Shocked

Ian
Ian B
Ian B
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Teddy Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:04 am

That is spooky, one disappears another turns up,too weird Shocked
Teddy
Teddy
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian B Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:38 am

He didn't come back last night and I've not seen him so far today, tho' it's only a matter of time, all he wants is somewhere to get his head down when the weathers a bit cold/wet. That's surely not too much to ask at home is it?

Ian
Ian B
Ian B
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian B Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:53 am

He's just turned up, it must be like Jimmy and Dexter in that the first place they all go when let out at home is here Laughing

'EDIT'

He didn't stay long this time tho', strange, as no matter what the idiot weather forecasters said yesterday, it's wet and damn cold here today Rolling Eyes

Ian
Ian B
Ian B
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian B Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:24 pm

I've had a few more visits today but it seems like he's getting reluctant to use the flap now. He will, but only after sitting on the step looking thro' it for a while.

I think he's beginning to associate me with plastic bags as well as he's more nervous around me, a few days ago I could pick him up but not now, tho' he still loves a good stroke Very Happy *Bobcat* update 579159

Ian
Ian B
Ian B
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Teddy Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:49 am

hey maybe I should use the plastic bagon Moto, he used to be terrified of tin foil but not now.

As long as you can still stroke him, he's not scared of you but he'll be wary for a while.
Teddy
Teddy
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian B Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:58 am

Perhaps not so much after today, I accidentally stood on his tail earlier and lets say he was less than impressed Shocked Laughing

Ian
Ian B
Ian B
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Teddy Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:59 am

*Bobcat* update 72767 Shouldn't laugh but it is funny, poor cat must wonder what he's walked into.
Teddy
Teddy
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian B Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:03 pm

Yeah, seeing so many other cats must be strange to him, tho' he's come round to that...........but having his tail stood on is going too far Laughing

Ian
Ian B
Ian B
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Teddy Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:22 pm

well yes. Laughing I dread doing that to Moto, he always eats with his tail sticking out and although I know he does that, one day I'm going to step back and................................................... *Bobcat* update 16397
Teddy
Teddy
Diamond Elite Cat
Diamond Elite Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down